Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hand Louver Press

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1966g10, Jan 23, 2015.

1. 1966g10

1966g10
    from WI

Wondering if anyone can give me advice on this, My buddy has this press for sale with a 4" louver die setup. Is this something worth having or are they more of a pain than good, being hand operated. Good for small stuff?

Not trying to compare a Ferrari to a Hyundai but just some wise words.

2. 1966g10

1966g10
    from WI

This is the press

Attached Files:

3. I would guess if made by Baileigh its a good tool.

4. You can make tooling to do all kinds of things with an arbor press. I have a vintage press I use for "press shaping". I'd love to have that one

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt that you would ever have an issue with the quality of it but with the 12 inch throat you are really limited to what you can do with i as far as louvers go. Since you used that photo there isn't any to post the link or the info on it.

For what he is asking does it have the other tooling that should come with it? Can you get enough use out of it to justify the cost? That said, If I could get it for a right price I could find a lot of things to do with the press it's self including buying or fabbing different dies for it to different things with it.

6. 1966g10

1966g10
    from WI

Thanks for posting the link, I should have done that.

He said he has the 4" louver for it and I think just a 90 degree brake maybe 4" wide.

It says the dies are $395 a piece so I thought just that would pay for its self. He's askig $450 for the set up.

I just didn't want to buy something to collect dust, and the 12" throat kinda worried me too. If you could flip the dies around and then punch backwards say so then you could do 24" but not sure if it will work that way

7. SHOULD be able to turn the dies.
    But test it out before buying.

8. Also, can the dies be rotated 90 degrees so you can punch longer "runs" in panels?

Steve

9. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

looks like a well built tool but the shallow throat will limit what you can do with it for sure. price is good though

10. As others have said Baileigh has top quality tools.

New you will spend almost 1,200 bucks. HRP

11. 1966g10

1966g10
    from WI

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate the help. I'm hoping I can rotate the dies and run longer pieces like someone said earlier. I will go over to his shop in the morning

volvobrynk likes this.