Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

5. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

w
    Wonder if this class had a weight limit? Hello heavy car goodbye light car.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

9. 296ardun

296ardun

This is really historical...the "finish line" at Goleta, home of the first drag strip, an auxiliary strip near Santa Barbara...the First Drag Race was held there in '48, and the Santa Barbara Timing Association continued to run meets there irregularly for a year or so...the track was really narrow and the shut-off area was over a bridge into a narrower road...those buildings in the background are still there...thanks for posting!!!

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

eeb3cac3ae12667fac63ec8342c0317b.jpg A post by Gary Reynolds in the Vintage Shots From Days Gone By.

11. rfraze

rfraze

This is really historical...the "finish line" at Goleta, home of the first drag strip, an auxiliary strip near Santa Barbara...the First Drag Race was held there in '48, and the Santa Barbara Timing Association continued to run meets there irregularly for a year or so...the track was really narrow and the shut-off area was over a bridge into a narrower road...those buildings in the background are still there...thanks for posting!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks Ardun for confirming Goleta. I did an interview with Jay Roach about the club and Goleta and the history of drag racing came out. There was a photographer who worked for Disney there one weekend and he was asking basic questions for an article. As Jay described "what they were doing", he answered, first one to "the bump" wins. When the guy asked, "How far is it?", Roach answered quarter mile. When he told me the story, he then added, "Be careful what you pull out of your ass, it just might stick."

12. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Empty 'Nitro' can for injector scoop. Neat stuff. I saw it. Long time ago.

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

15. rooman

rooman

[​IMG]

Graham Withers' Ampol GT fueller photographed at Castlereagh (near Sydney), Australia in the mid 60's. This was a Kellison frame body package and was the first "modern" top fueller in Australia. Eddie Thomas had a late hemi in a car that looked a lot like Tony Nancy's silver 22 Jr but it was front blown. Ash Marshall had been racing his Vandal car (now in the Garlits museum) and in 1966 a group of Americans came down for the Dragfest series but this was the first local car that looked like what we were used to seeing in the US magazines

Roo

16. Here is a picture of Otis Smith in the blue shirt, out of Akron, Ohio at the '62 US Nats. GodSpeed Otie........... A6.jpeg

296ardun, Dean Lowe and enloe like this.
  17. Also from the '62 Nats. Otie's Automotive A5.jpeg

kopperkart, 296ardun, tommyd and 3 others like this.
  18. Wow it looks like the same day, mine was taken at the 1962 US C2.jpeg Nats. in Indy. B/G Mike Marinoff

296ardun, tommyd, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  19. We should just rename this the "like" thread. I try not to click "like" so often but, I just can't help it.

Dustin

loudbang and Maverick Daddy like this.
  20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I heard that !

21. Northwest Nite
    [​IMG]

enloe and tommyd like this.
  22. Done!

tommyd likes this.