Register now to get rid of these ads!

1927 Model-T Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mink, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mink

mink
    from CT

Hey all, I happened to be traveling ,west from Pa, with the job and spotted some vintage tin In North Dakota. Looking for some steel wheels I ended up leaving with two t-coupe bodies. Its going to be an ongoing project. First task is to pull the bodies apart by unbolting or breaking free the rivets. The cowl is in remarkable condition. The wheel wells need tweaking and metal finishing. I'm missing doors, fenders, hood, decklid and a grille. Heres some pictures of them in the storage unit.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Welcome to the club... now.. post the pics right! :)

3. mink

mink
    from CT

Drilled rivets the whole day. The main focus of the project, currently, is to disassemble for transportation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice stuff....there is a lot of good stuff there.
    Good for you.
    Cheers.......

5. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

nice work, unfortunately the missing parts are the hardest to find

6. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

I will agree with that when I did my coupe the doors and trunk cost almost as much as the body. Good luck thought.

7. mink

mink
    from CT

IMG_1533.JPG Heres a small update. Spent the afternoon parting together the body frame. I ordered some Model T Coupe sheet metal from Howells. I bought the T Coupe rear crossmember. Its a 16gauge, 2 piece sheet metal weldment with lap joint. Poorly, resistance welded and incorrect overlap. I separated the two pieces, decreased the panel overlap and welded it up.

I bought doors at Hersey last year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    volvobrynk likes this.
  8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

You would think those folks at Howell's would have a little respect for their customers, dishing up such poorly manufactured items...

It is like pot luck buying stuff from them these days!!!

9. Nice to see another T build. I'll be watching your build.
    That back sub frame piece, can that be used on a touring T to? I need one of those. But I sure don't like having it short. That sucks!

10. mink

mink
    from CT

Length was correct. It's just the overlap was incorrect and if not corrected the original hardware that nests into the channel will not fit. The hardware riveted in.

Howell really has no competition in the t market. Not sure Keith , you want a measurement

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I salvaged a small cross section of my rear member and took to a sheetmetal shop and got the guy to copy me a length a little longer than I needed.

From that piece I custom cut and fitted the replacement piece with good results.

12. mink

mink
    from CT

Hey, small update. Working on rear window grafting together sections. image.jpg

Attached Files:

volvobrynk and sko_ford like this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Keep pulging at it,she's shaping up. T coupe is one I too have wished to build,but just have never found a body I could get hold of.

14. mink

mink
    from CT

Made window template. Patches are within 1/4" next 1/8" and out comes the file for final fit

Attached Files:

15. mink

mink
    from CT

Tack welded the two sections together, pretty happy with the results image.jpg image.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looking good man...

17. Glad to seed your still at it.

18. Gotta love the old T coupes,,have you decided whether or not to chop it? HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. Nice to se e you came over to the ford side. But does all sheetmetal have to come from north dakota? ;)

20. mink

mink
    from CT

Picked up up rear crossmember at Hershey Swapmeet. Hopefully this weekend I will be picking up a front end and components for the f100 brake swap.

I made frame rails from 11ga 2x4 A500 structural square tubing. I tapered the front and am mocking the rails up. I want front section of rail to run parallel to hood and then bend to bring rail ends into rear of the crossmember

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. mink

mink
    from CT

image.jpg image.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Looking good, t coups are always nice. Chop?
    I hope the two pieces of tape on the door and post ain't the chop lines :eek:
    Will you run hood?

Keep at it, lad.

23. Looks good man. Did you end up getting the front end?

24. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

25. mink

mink
    from CT

Chistopher, Is that you ? Haha. No I'm going to pick it up this coming weekend. You should start a build thread of your Plymouth everybody here wants to see that english wheel and fender you are wheeling up. Don't be shy.

26. Haha yup its me Ryan. I have the Plymouth thread on a different site but maybe i'll start one up here too. The E-wheel is pretty close to being done, worked on it more last night. I just need to build a frame with wheels so i can move it around the shop. I'm hoping to have it done this weekend if i can get away from the girlfriend long enough lol.

Back to "T" talk.... what's going to power this bad ass rod? A sweet little hemi!?!?!?! :D

-Chris

27. mink

mink
    from CT

I think I'm going to see what all the fuss is about them flathead v8's. I hear that they are the cats ass!

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Yea that's what I hear. I've seen some flathead v8s for sale on CL in our area. Maybe some are worth checking out.

Sent from my flip phone.