Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I hate my tail lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Jan 19, 2015.

1. I'd bet money there are flat or relatively flat round lenses the diameter of those holes, or close enough to be cut down. Some early '60s Fords had stuff that the lenses seem to have no value, maybe start there.

2. birdman1

birdman1

It is just that the I want to keep with the wonderfull curved lines of the "39 Ford coupe. It just looks so smooth with NO tail lights. just the bare fenders and trunk. as you can see, i am "limited" in my abilitys, so it has to be simple. any pictures of the 1950 Studbaker tail lights??

3. loafing1

loafing1
    from Nebraska

They were 1941 Studabaker lights that people mentioned and I posted a pic earlier in this thread of my '40 with them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. TexasDart

TexasDart

find some 'bigger' long taillights...cut out the two holes and use the bigger taillights.

That or put a bumper on the back and maybe the caddy taillights won't look as out of place...plus it might cover some imperfections of you body work.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Corvette lights. I have some extras...

[​IMG]

59Apachegail and Jigger like this.
  6. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Jigger and Hnstray like this.
  7. what about an impala lens should be close to the same size but flatter

8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Smaller round taillights... Corvair lenses come to mind. There were a few iterations through the nine years they were made and they are available through the Corvair vendors. Otherwise get the paint gun back out and go Studebaker.

9. birdman1

birdman1

008.JPG
    I think it looks great!

wraymen likes this.
  10. birdman1

birdman1

I really just kinda' threw the caddy lights on to see if I liked it. So they are not mounted very straight. IF and when I get the RIGHT lights on it, I will figure out a neat nerf bar. Thanks for all the constructive critizizm and GOOD ideas. I like the '54 Buicks, also the "vettes

Jigger likes this.
  11. Traditional Police, please avert thine eyes for a moment....

For smaller round lights look at the old Datsun 1600 roadster. I had 4 of them on the back of a VW baja years ago, and the looked good there. Suould be about the right size for the holes, and they had small chrome trim rings around them.

Jigger likes this.
  12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

1949 Lincoln tail lights...always a favorite of mine. 1949 Lincoln Tail Lights.jpg

51 mercules likes this.
  13. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

a couple of guys mentioned this. And I noticed the cure right away. A nicely tucked in bumper would go a long way towards a more refined, finished look. There's too much poorly landscaped acreage back there. It needs some chrome to tidy it up. Plus it would direct the eyes away from the tail light/bumperettes that reside there now. I think the caddy lights, (though not my first choice), would look fine then.

F-ONE and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. Muttley

Muttley

I think you took my comment wrong, I was referring to the lights only.

15. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Keep them and tunnel them in deeper, they'll look heaps better, they just stick out too far.

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You probably don't need me to tell you they look bad after three pages, so I 'll just say that the travel trailer license plate bracket and light should get lost too...

17. Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  18. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Could someone photoshop these on his fenders, turned upside down? Probably the wrong angle, though.

19. verde742

verde742

I think the poster was fishing for compliments and got hit hard.
    Looks Lumpy to me also.

Also it is hard for me to believe so many people think he should put "stock" chevron tail lights on a 1939 Ford, when "Chevrons were only stock on a 1940 Ford .

20. Jason455

Jason455

You could always leave them and forget about it. Can't see them from the driver seat.

Model T1 likes this.
  21. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Attached Files:

22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Birdman, I liked 59 Cady tailights,but in 1960 when I got my first pair,every one seemed to be using them if they could. Well ,I was building a full custom Henry J and would of been EZ to just mount them in the "J" lite hole,but going for a little extra custom,I cut about 1 1/4in. off the point of red plastic and put it up inside the other part= it now looked like a jet engine vs a pointed red tity. I polished the cut edge with 800 and then toothpacet. I really liked how they looked,very def.

23. Yes only stock on a 40 but they are still stock Ford lights, I think that is what most of us were implying.

24. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Attached Files:

25. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Leave them as is!
    So they can constantly remind you about all the advice you received [ and you were being too pig-headed ]

Hnstray likes this.
  26. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

early Corvair T/Lamps = same size as your Caddy T/Lamps = easy fix ( 56 Chev Lens is same size too)

27. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

60 corvair
    60corvair.jpg

Dave Mc likes this.
  28. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Buicks?

Attached Files:

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm tired of this. Let's see what you've got for mirrors and stuff.

30. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Someone mention this earlier, 1958-60 Corvette. I saw a how to on this somewhere but can't find it now. While I was looking, I found some Caddy lights done in a 'more traditional' way. Cad lights.jpg corvette lights.jpg

Model T1 likes this.