Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where have all the children gone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod--willys, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Movinman

Movinman

I am the complete opposite from most of you guys. My dad had absolutely no interest in cars. He drove a Toyota Corolla, and never even attempted to change his own oil. Growing up, all I could think about was cars. As soon as I got my license, it was on. My dad could never understand why I liked junk cars so much. He told me that one day I would grow out of it. At 47, I am still going strong. Right after the holidays, I am taking a road trip to Albuquerque to pick up my next project, a 1935 Packard. Model T1, if you need to leave things behind, I am only a days drive from you. I would be more than willing to stop by on my way to New Mexico to see what you have. From where I sit, the hobby/lifestyle is bigger than ever. Look at Sema to see the truth of that. If your kids and your grandkids aren't interested, find out where some of the local car clubs are located. Chances are, you will find some twenty and thirtysomethings building cars that just might need a guy with some experience to guide them along. I wish someone like you guys would have come along quite a few times to show me the right way to do something instead of screwing it up a time or two before getting it correct.

2. \
    I'll take a tour!

3. wingnutz,

Here's your invitation!

Jim

4. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Give them all a pedal car. You the satifaction of giving it to who you want to have it now. After your gone it may be kept for sentimental reasons or it will be pedaled off (pun intended) at a later time and you won't know about it anyways. Likely to be held on to because they know you wanted them to have it.

5. afaulk

afaulk

One of these days they'll say "sure wish I could see Gramp's one more time". Do you all remember the cool old stuff he used to have.........dang I sure wish we'd have kept some of that. Those old pedal cars were the best. (course now that's looking back from 35 yrs into the future)

6. b-bop

b-bop

I had two girls, the oldest wasn't really into cars much. The youngest has been to B'Ville with my in the "A" a couple times. She says she will disown me if I sell Ace (Model A) I now have 3 grandsons. The first two are car nuts, aged 2 and 3, and both have their own set of wheels already. The newest little guy just showed up on the scene in September, so if you wanna sell some of those pedal cars hotrod--willys , let me know, I need to start building another one for the new guy. My dad never understood my passion for old rusty stuff. I think you either have the gene, or don't. 740102_10152438260120514_13557084_o.jpg 20140923_194908 (1632 x 1224).jpg

7. b-bop

b-bop

Nope, don't follow joeycarpunks advice. Give them, or sell them to parents or grandparents of kids that will really enjoy them. I have seen cars, parts, memorabilia, given to family members and in many cases it just sits in a corner gathering dust until someone tosses it in the garbage, because there is no perceived value,

8. Rockysfirsthotrod1953.jpg tonyscar1small.JPG I know how ya feel. I had a great Murray fireman's car in 1953.....drove the livin SHIT out of it! [check the scraped front fender] I broke the pedals or steering every week and my dad would take the broken parts to work and weld them back up. I loved that thing!
    I bought my grandson one a lot like it when he was 3. He also received one of those little red and yellow plastic "Mister Magoo" cars you power like a flintstone car..no pedals. He LOVES that thing and ignores the Murray pedal car....sigh
    When I croak, I wanna be totally free of any earthly encumbrances...I don't want to leave my kids and grandkids a huge fuckin mess like my dad did. I'd rather all my possesions be given away before I shudder to my last breath... Rockysfirsthotrod1953.jpg

9. Whoo hoo! But I might not have enough time to get there and back before Friday!

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If they don't like old cars... they end up here! Gary

SoylentGreen.jpg

wingnutz likes this.
  11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi HotRodGrill.Great collection.My wife would KILL for that Betty Boop statue.Merry Christmas.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Dont worry, i'm only 29, i'll show up....

13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I SAVED THIS PEDAL CAR FOR YEARS WAITING FOR A KID TO DIG IT AND MY GRANDSON DOES! WENTZ 2014 (2) 043.JPG

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Here's a pedal car I restored for my daughter about 3 years ago . It's an early 60's Murray . She now prefers her Power Wheels car - It's now up in the loft of my garage . I used to have one like it when I was a kid - mine wasn't this nice though ;) . At least the bastards didn't steal it when they broke in a year ago ! I have an early 50's BMC to restore next ... in my spare time :) !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I know this thread was started a few years ago now, but I'll throw in my story too.

I'm 40 now with 5 kids of my own from 15 down to 3. I wanted a pedal car when I was a kid, never could convince parents to buy me one. Wanted a gokart too, couldn't talk them into that either. They never understood my automotive desires. Always had old cars since I came of driving age.

I always wanted to buy a pedal car for my oldest when he was little, just never could afford the $200 or so they cost when he was the right age. As each kid came along, I still wanted to buy one, and the funds were never there. So my kids never got one either. At least my oldest, now 15 has the hot rod gene in his blood. We've been working on a car for him for the last year and a half. My younger kids haven't shown any interest, and if they never do, that's ok. My oldest will end up with all my cool stuff.

Devin

16. willymakeit

willymakeit

I'm lucky. My 56, F100 is what my daughter wants. Son is interested in my tools and bobber truck. All 3 grandsons [3 and under] love anything that's loud. Oldest one was with me at the Hamb this year and was giving a thumbs up to the altered and anything loud cruising around.

17. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

then I would sell them now so someone can get some enjoyment out of them plus you can get what they are worth and put that into your current projects.

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear you, DAD ! Seriously, I am glad I will be long gone before 20, 30, or 40 years go by, because neither my son nor his son cares anything about my beloved '32 highboy or '40 sedan. I might just sell both when "time comes" to someone who has my passion. Hope I can find someone.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  19. Yeah Gary its sad, I know two would like to have my 26 RPU but the car would be toast in a week and someone hurt or killed and none would have developed any sense of how to maintain or look after such cars. As for my two stock Willys I am sure they would be trashed till they died.
    Its something I have been considering for I while and for a while more. :(JW

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is too late for me now, but I really loved the old "ugly" Willys bodies when I could have afforded one. I wanted to build one for the street like my '32 Highboy is presently, with A/C, 350, 700R4, Sirius, so I could cruise. I do that with our Highboy, so things are great. Your cars are so unique.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P.S. 26 T Ford RPU, You are right about my Grandson killing himself in the roadster. He has no idea how neat these old cars are or about taking care of them. Both cars are nothing more than some money to him, at least he feels that way now. He will never know the satisfaction of cruising the streets in a ride that his Great-Grandfather could have owned when it was new. Most sad !

22. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank you guys for all the cool stories about the proses I'm going through now. Us older guys grew up in the Twilight Zone. The cars, the drive inns, the rock n roll dances, cruising on the avenue, drags on Saturday, hours and hours just washing your car, and the best part chasing the girls....To have a car back in the 50-60s was a dream, Now you have total independence. Then you get a girl friend. get married, have kids, now just a family 4 dr Chevy. But that feeling of earlier independence is still there. The drive to relive those days will always be in your mind. Some guys were lucky to be able to keep their first car. I was not. But I always loved my first real nice car a 1951 Chevy 2dr hdt. I have a clone of that car now. I love that car. So through the years you start collecting things that you remember growing up. Then one day you look at all this stuff that means a lot to you. The younger ones just do have the same things in there life. So. I hope to have a few more years to enjoy my own junk. So. When I'm gone, I'm gone!!!!!!!

23. Finished this car in August, 2014, looking for another project, both cars will go to these two boys (my grandsons), now age 4 and 2. I asked my daughter, "what if the kids won't like the cars when they're older", she said, I can't imagine they won't. We'll see, they sure seem interested now.
    DSCN9455.JPG 1489283_606465949412040_730543997_n.jpg DSCN9452.JPG

24. At the end of the day I feel it would be worth so much more to just hand this stuff (cars and other collectables) over to others that would carry on and care for, treasure and enjoy them as we have,like passing the torch and beginning another chapter. JW

1927graham likes this.
  25. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Good for you 27 graham. Very good looking boys. Must take after their grandpa. Have fun with them. They grow up fast these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1927graham likes this.
  26. I moved to Minnesota in 2010 to be closer to my daughter and family, best decision I could've made!
    DSCN8734.JPG

27. Budget36

Budget36

So much negativity to the off spring.

I raise 3 girls by myself...19 and 17 (soon to catch a year) and 13.

My oldest has my old IROC...it's her's...next one is into diesel trucks, so gave here my '82...youngest loves my '57 PU...so will earmark it for her,,,why I bring this up?...well, none bat an eye on the '42 PU I have, nor the '36 (both Fords...both great HR potential), nor the old Dodge_31 or 32) I have either...do I care?

No...let them like what they like...could be mid '80's Chrysler's for all I care, when I'm gone, they can do as they please with them.

Anyone worried about their offspring not being into what you are "saving"...then just get rid of it now, take a vacation, sip a funny umbrella drink or two...

1927graham likes this.
  28. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

My sons bed room! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420047289.435956.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

29. hotrod--willys

hotrod--willys

Thank all you guys for your input. I will just keep every thing as it is. Enjoy what I love. And let the Good Lord take care of things as they come.:)

30. smoked1

smoked1

I have two grown sons also, that show no interest whatsoever in cool cars! My youngest likes BMW's (suck). When that focker breaks down tho the first person he calls is me! I guess thats a good thing. Most young folks I see are staring at their electronics!(sucks). I do like my puter though! Oh well i cant have everything. My dad was killed when i was just a wee baby I never had anyone to do old car stuff with. It really bums me out some days. My mom has pics of him when he was in the army in germany workin on his hotrods. dam I wish he was still alive! Im glad I like old cars even if the younguns dont!(sucks).