Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for guys who've installed '39 taillights in Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jmiller1918, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Seems simple enough, but looks like a pretty good size hole needs to be made in rear pan.

If there are any threads addressing this, I could not locate. Basically, any tips on going about installing the '39 teardrop tail lights in the Model A (mine's a '29 roadster) would be appreciated. I figure it costs nothing to ask, and it's better to ask before starting than after!

Thanks!
    Jim

bundybiker likes this.
  2. See my avatar.......
    First, make a couple of cardboard patterns with double side tape so you can get the placement equal and where you want them.
    Next, cut out the pattern's center so it matches the oval shape can of the housing, without the mounting flange.
    Mark this oval on your panel and cut and file to fit the actual t/l can. Make sure the studs' c/l is exactly vertical and drill the two holes for the mounting studs.
    Paint the inside of the can bright white, and use the little pop rivet on polished ss reflectors.

26 roadster and jmiller1918 like this.
  3. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Throw up a big pic of that avatar..... please.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 likes this.
  4. Mo rust

Mo rust

Most of the led style 39 taillights are flat on the back and can mount with just a couple bolts. They are brighter than the ones with bulbs too.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Deside if you like them installed stock or up side down before you drill the holes. Bob

6. 133928_175891529100360_975751_o.jpg

Just Gary, mtb1981, Hotrodmyk and 3 others like this.
  7. Much the same as old mate above, i bought a pair of original '39 lights buckets and all from a fella and he sent a cardboard template with them. I marked out the center of the panel, then put the template on where i liked it, marked the holes and then measured the distance from the center to the holes and copied it to the other side, then used the template for the big center hole.

There is the big hole for the bucket to go through, two stud holes and if i remember correctly the small bottom hole is for the bezel screw to pass through. It screws into the bucket, not the panel.

People talk about the panel being not perfectly flat, that '39 lights have a slight gap because the lights curve or some bullshit. They fit fine and no gaps..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmiller1918 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Great responses, guys, thanks very much!

9. pitman

pitman

The further to the right and left you place them, the more obvious your turn signal intention.
    Height in the panel placement matters if you have rumble deck lid. Check the clearance, you can avoid interference.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    51 mercules likes this.
  10. I think I cut mine out with a torch then filed the hole down then drilled out the mounting holes. I also didnt bother measuring anything, I hung the bezels on bent pieces of coat hanger and moved them around until they looked right. As I recall it was two fingers of spacing on the sides and three on the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look pretty crooked in the pic above but they don't really stand out to me when looking at the car.

11. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29 model a miller conversion rear shot.jpg

Farther down and to the side

Fogger, Welderboy60 and jmiller1918 like this.
  12. My man Jim is building a 1940's era-correct hot rod...his turn signals will be a flick of a cigarette to the left or a nod of the head to the right. Hahaha.

Model T1 and pitman like this.
  13. Slopok

Slopok

Come on now, who ever says they never measured something with their fingers is probably a liar. Besides... that's traditional!

Model T1 and jmiller1918 like this.
  14. I don't think i could ever bring myself to use my fingers as a measuring device haha.

Model T1 and clem like this.
  15. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I put mine on the fenders. The housing sticks out a couple inches and interfered with the tire when I hit a bump. The wires came out the back so repeated bumps caused the wires to get mashed. I rerouted the wires to the sides. No problem if you use the LED ones as they are flat. LED lights are bright but not HAMB friendly.

16. Heh heh, not a smoker so won't work! I still used good old hand signals when last driving, but as we all know the young'uns aren't looking for (or understanding) that!

17. Look good Mike. Nice view of the dash through there with the seat out...

18. Track-T

Track-T

PICT0126.jpg not a A but same kinda thing...made some buckets to mount them "frenched"

19. Very criticle where to place if your using a RUMBLE lid,,Trunk lid =place them to suit your desrire

20. snot275

snot275

Honestly, I wanted this to go super easy for me so I simply ordered the rubber shit that goes under the light from Macs. It has a tear out hole that's the same size of the bucket part that sticks out on the back. Comes in pairs. Measure the center lines of your lower panel (left-right and up-down) and draw lines across. If already painted then just cover in painter's tape. A piece of tape on top of the rubber and put them where you like them. Then measure their centers so you can make sure they match up. Trace the holes from the rubber. Cut with a hole saw to get the bulk of it out of the way then either a an air saw or cutting wheel, and a file to clean it up. Took me literally 15 minutes... If that. Rubber pieces were a few bucks... Also, the two studs (if repopped like mine) aren't always perfectly in line so keep that in mind. I just eye balled it and made their holes a tad oversized. They both went just to the sides of their respective vertical lines in the pic. They're straighter than they look in the pic, haha. Worked out great. Easy peezy.
    image.jpg

21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I used a square and under off the bottom of the lower panel. Just like snot275 worked like a champ and they wind up square to world just easy

jmiller1918 likes this.
  22. harleyddad

harleyddad

31 Ford rear view1.jpg With frenched 39's

23. Very helpful! Thanks very much...
    Jim

24. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Tunneled tail lamps are not "frenched" tail lamps. Frenched tail lamps and headlamps are NOT buried in the deck panel or fender but rather become a part of the panel/ fender by subtly sinking them flush with the panel. Often the tail lamp ring may not be used and the tail lamp lens and can are mounted from inside panel with only the lens showing. In the cae of headlamps different trim rings make the bulb and retainer ring either flush with the fender opening or slightly recessed with a trim ring.

Model T1 likes this.
  25. FlatJan

FlatJan

@pasadenahotrod:
    didn't know that in detail, thanks!

@snot275
    Can you give us some measurements of your taillight position? looks great to me
    what body do you have?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  26. bangerbob

bangerbob

I used 48 Chev lites mounted vertical----I made the plate lite from a old 460 piston

Attached Files:

27. x2. I had a trunk originally and switched it to a rumble seat and can verify what wbrw32 said.

28. Yeah,I found out the hard way too,,,LOL

29. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This is my pops IMG_0320.JPG

Rich B. likes this.