Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Chev ute, it's an Australian thing.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 49CadiClubCoupe, Aug 3, 2014.

1. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

Pretty rad project

49CadiClubCoupe likes this.
  2. FlatJan

FlatJan

i like ute's

nunattax and 49CadiClubCoupe like this.
  3. 63Compact

63Compact

Steer clear of Mustang 2 kits go with Jag they fit, ride great and you can can have power or manual racks.

4. Hey 63 Compact - do you know how they compare width wise etc? Do you know anyone who has used one?

I have binned the M2 idea - down to HQ or Jag.

5. chevute

chevute

I have a jag in my 51 Chevy ute, airbagged. Really easy to put in and has a great ride, brakes, and has the chev stud pattern. They are very cool utes.

6. Thanks Chevute - I will go down the Jag route - am currently trying to pick a front end up. :) Cheers for the comments

7. Ok, bit more work done on the ute! Chassis is totally stripped and ready for blasting. However before I send that off I am going to fab up the engine, gearbox and diff changes. I am hunting for a Jag front crossmember for it at the moment which my 235 will sit on. I picked up a 235 out of a '58 a few months ago - good runner which needs a cam and some tweaking.

I will then match a T5 to the diff which I picked up the other day. Diff is a LSD with disc brakes and should be a relatively easy install. Ha where have I heard that before!! The diff is a bit of overkill however I managed to get it at a reasonable price and I figure once in I will not have to worry about it again!

Today was as hot as Jessica Biels ass so I thought it was a good day to clean off the engine ready for painting. Managed to get it scrubbed, pressure cleaned and dried twice. Happy days - its now ready for a light wire brush and spraying.

I am going for a light bronze colour for the engine, should look sweet with the Fenton intake and exhaust set up I am after and all the other old skool kit I am trying to source and get shipped to Australia! Hopefully the next pix will be of the engine all painted and looking all purdy!

Attached Files:

8. Compared to the original crud-covered drivetrain pictures, that scrub/clean/dry job looks fantastic. Great job!!

9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

love the truck , im subscribing

10. ken1939

ken1939

11. Darn!! I didn't think it was possible but it looks like your seller was(is) a bigger liar the the Oklahoma crook that I bought my 61 bubbletop from.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  12. Sedan deliverys came stock with radiused door tops. They're easy to make from sedan doors. My doors came from a 49 chevy 4 door. Rockysdeliveryindriveway.jpg

13. Thanks for the comments everyone - appreciate the support!

Thanks too Rocky - I definitely have radiased doors in my future!

14. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

This is a cool build, can't wait to see more!

15. Very happy to have got some spray on the engine today - metallic copper. Very happy with the results, no disrespect to Chev blue but with the body colour this should really pop!

Just waiting on my dress up bits so I can finish it off and get back to the chassis changes.

Attached Files:

16. fiftychev

fiftychev
    from Minnesota

I used 48 Chevy tail lights on mine.

Attached Files:

17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

very nice choice

18. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

A friend looked at his Ute, rust molecules holding hands. It was way rough, but it is a Ute and 'anything' can be fixed.
    We used 37 Chevy truck lights on ours and they look somewhat stock. We also kept the spare tire holder.

19. ken1939

ken1939

I see this one at the Back to the 50s Weekend in St Paul, pictures do not do it justice!

20. Don't know how I missed this thread. Way sharp looking car and seems well worth the effort to save. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. That's funny fiftychev - I was doing a bit of googling today and looking for rear end pictures of old Chev's for inspiration and saw a pic of yours! Looks very nice.

Typo41 - had a look for '37 Chev truck ones - looked like they were on short arms??

I am hoping to find something that will sit on the top of the fenders at the rear. Something like a '40 Ford or '50 Chev club coupe. However I will be adding a rear bumper and getting rid of the spare tyre holder so am also thinking something mounted on the bumper may work..

Still chipping away!

22. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We put the lights on the spare tyre panel and kept the weird single lit as a plate light.
    On the fenders will be a tough one, repro 41 Stude?
    Customized with a set of 49 Cad? Sure find a 49 Cad in AU then cut it up!
    I can get a shot of ours if you want.

23. Thanks typo41 - but I am thinking that a rear bumper with lights mounted on that will be the best bet. I think it will work in best with the rear I have in mind. Like the burgundy one shown earlier in this post.

Funny you mention the '49 Cadi - I know where there is one parked about two feet away from this ute! However as there is only about 5 or 6 in Australia - I could never cut it up. Rthose rear pontoon fenders have had me thinking a lot though! :)

24. fiftychev

fiftychev
    from Minnesota

25. KustomCandy

KustomCandy
    from Australia

Fark yeah. More Aussies on here then I knew of these days.

Seen the Black one at the last Picnic down at sandown. Owner was nice enough to have a chat and tell me a little about the Car.
    If he's on here. I was the Guy that mentioned he needed Pinstriping on his flaked dash. :)

So yeah. Subscribed all the way.

Dan

26. dad-bud

dad-bud

Nice little project to while away the hours over summer............. and next winter............. and next summer.
    Haha
    Will be a great driver when you finish. Enjoy it.
    Cheers. DB

27. Thanks for that - looks very very neat!
    Cheers Dan, I know people on here that know the owner of the black one - but he is not on here. Same as owner of the burgundy one.
    DB - Dying for that first drive, yet realise its a fair way away! Thanks for the support.

No big progress, decided I need a new frame as the old one will require too much work to bring it back. Have access to one however need to sort out delivery and then I can start on that side of things. Ordered a crap load of engine go fast and look pretty bits from the States. Just waiting for delivery so I can reassemble the engine. Clearing out all the old no longer needed bits diff, front end, engine etc so I can have some more space. Factory is pretty packed at the moment.

More, bigger updates hopefully to come soon!

28. Too long between updates - damn you busy life!

Still working through things. I think I am down to having every part of the car body in individual pieces. Managed to pick up a good Jag front end with p/s rack as well as a T5 recently. Started working on the body and discovered that with every blow of a hammer a pile of dirt and bog fell out of somewhere! Started working on the chassis and round with each wack of the wire wheel more holes appeared!

Have been re-evaluating things the past little while as to how to proceed with something that was looking like it would become a life long project. As luck would have it in this contemplative period, another body and chassis came up for sale! Picking it up this week and the plan is to ditch my shell and chassis and use the best bits of each to create my Frankenute! In reality, not that big a deal but it will save me a life time in rust repairs! Oh and I have had a good bit of practice on panel beating on the old body. Win win! Well as long as this body turns out to be ok! New one is a '52 so should be an easy mix - just have to decide on grill style etc.

Will hopefully be able to post some updated photos soon of the new arrival,..waa waaa waaaa

Have the engine all sprayed and ready for reassembly - I am just (still) waiting for the stuff to come from the US.

29. Thankfully made it back from the drive to pick up the '52 without any problems. A mix of good and bad with the body and chassis - some bits worse than hoped however some bits better! Anyways, factory is full to the door so I can't fit another one in. Time to get busy and start stripping this baby down. Will post some pix I have moved along a bit more.

Attached Files:

• 52d.JPG
      52d.JPG
      File size:
      134.7 KB
      Views:
    • 52a.JPG
      52a.JPG
      File size:
      164 KB
      Views:
    • 52b.JPG
      52b.JPG
      File size:
      128.3 KB
      Views:
    • 52c.JPG
      52c.JPG
      File size:
      163.6 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 and ausbuick like this.
  30. '41-'48 Chevy tail lights would look good - and they make after market LED type now