Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need help with electric wipers for a 39 Ford Deluxe sedan.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by genosslk, Jan 16, 2015.

1. genosslk

genosslk

What is the trick setup for wipers for a 39 Ford Deluxe Sedan with the original tilt out windshield? I tried Newport Engineering's setup but didn't like how it fit... bulky and it would make the windshield header look terrible. I have all the original vacuum stuff and tried to get the vacuum motor to work but couldn't. Not sure my engine makes enough vacuum anyway. I looked at Specialty wipers for their setup but not sure if the cable will clear the stock windshield hinges.

So far...Rain X is the winner.....

Thanks guys!

2. Just got my 39 on the road and used Newport's cowl mount kit for 39 open cars......electric setup incl a delay wiper feature......talked with several 39 owners before making wiper mount change and their comments were "don't try to run with the hinged windshield setup" as they all ended up permanently installing and taking out hinged feature, due to wind noises and water coming in.....seems 39's with hinged windshields were never designed to run down the hwy at modern speeds ......late decision to change wiper setup was after paint work done, so simply made 2 stainless button head "plugs" and bolted in stock wiper locations, with body color paint which "fade into the background"......installation was simple and wipers work great......

3. genosslk

genosslk

I'd like to keep my stock tilt out windshield as it fits perfectly... doesn't leak and no wind noise. I found a guy that make new crank gears that work great and helps keep the windshield closed tight. I went through three rubber seals until I got one that works. I'm pretty sure that none of the stock wipers were designed to work above 30 mph! I ran the Newport wipers in a rain storm and at 50 mph they were nothing more than a smear on the window. Out came the Rain X.....

4. fordor41

fordor41

Try lubing the vac motor or replacing. I use a small vac pump to run mine on my '41

5. I have used the Specialty Power wiper unit in a 36 Ford truck, a 38 Coupe and a 39 sedan. I installed them in stock holes on both the 38 and 39. I drilled the passenger side hole on the 36 where it should have been if it had been there. All 3 still had stock roll out windshield and no issues. On all 3 of these cars I mounted the motor on the passenger side behind the kick panel. To date no issues, they work just fine. Also the 51 in my avitar, I have there unit in the stock wiper bezel and there switch mounted in the stock dash hole with the stock 51 knob. I have also installed 5 other of there units with good operation in all cars. I'm currently doing one in a 34 Chevy Standard Sedan with there brass bezels that are a hand fit to your car. I'm mounting this one on the cowel instead of overhead. It's a good all around unit and they stand behind there product.
    The Wizzard

6. genosslk

genosslk

Fordor41.... what vacuum pump did you use? I'm interested in how you set yours up. I'm sending my vacuum motor to Ficken's wiper rebuilders for a freshen up. He guarantees the wipers to run on 13 inches of vacuum and are fully tested before they are sent back to the customer.

7. Don't they make a cable driven windshield wiper motor? HRP

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Years ago on my 39 Deluxe coupe, I used a motor from a volkswagen beetle in that cat. I had to build brackets and modify the linkage, but the wipers always worked great.

9. rfraze

rfraze

I found a vacuum collector under the hood of an 80s? VW (maybe cabriolet) that has worked for me on a couple of applications. It is square and looks like 2 plastic egg cartons face to face. 2 hose nipples are cast in and it "collects" vacuum in these chambers. You will probably have to find some place to hide it, but they "worked" for an auto manufacturer and for me.

10. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just had one done by Ficken for a 4o std-excellent-engine pulls 18" of vacuum==works very well thus far--have done it before and added a little vac reservoir for a ford of some type--looks kinda like a little hand grenade

11. fordor41

fordor41

I bought mine off ebay. believe is off a Toyota 4 runner. A lot of newer cars cars use vac pumps. Do some searching on the internet then try a junk yard.

12. That's what Speciaty is. Basically a copy of what lots of English cars had. And they know about rain.;)

13. ems customer service

ems customer service

here's what we did on my 37 ford, DSCF0421.JPG DSCF0423.JPG

14. studebaker46

studebaker46

actually a lucas motor from british-Leyland cars are what the spec wipers are patterned after only betterbuilt. lookon e-bay mg triumph jaguar land rover etc

15. genosslk

genosslk

I wish I had that kind of room in my header panel. My Newport wiper stuck out about 1 inch when installed. I made a header panel and it looked like crap from the bulge. I sent my vacuum wiper motor to Ficken Wipers in NY to se what they can do. Worth the $100 to see if it will work.

16. spooler41

spooler41

Genosslk, You might try to contact ,Western Pacific Design, they are in
    Port Townsend ,Washington and do wiper conversions. Sorry I don't
    have a direct link.

................................. Jack

17. genosslk

genosslk

wish I had read that before I sent them off yesterday! I'll put that in my roll-a-dex, Thanks!