Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 Poly Speed Goodies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 340HilbornDuster, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 66coronet500

66coronet500

Good read on page 34 of Chrysler Power mag about my engine builder.

2. 73RR

73RR

NEWS RELEASE..................................

According to word from our foundry this morning, the first Poly SS-X 4bbl “wind tunnel” manifold will be ready in two weeks... As soon this first manifold is machined and checked for fit and finish, we will go into production on the first 100 manifolds.
    All who wish to participate in the pre-production special price and festivities of this monumental accomplishment need to do so by February 15. After that the full racer net/membership/production price ($599) goes into effect... The same applies for our finned aluminum valve covers... Pre-production price of $349-production price $399...

We’d like to thank everyone for their support during this great moment in Chrysler Power history and looking beyond the valve cover release at the same time, we’re considering aluminum heads to fit all A & LA engines....

Stay tuned.

Gary

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary,

When the first one is done, would it be possible to replace the old picture on the "Chrysler Power" website with a proper picture of the real manifold? (I have already ordered mine and would like to see what I bought.)

I would have liked the valve covers with no lettering, but I'm still considering a pair.

Tubman

4. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Gary - Are the valve covers going to be available with just POLY on them or just finned?

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After thinking about the valve covers, just what does "Poly SSX" mean? How about a second run with no lettering? I'd rather have a plain pair for $399 than the lettered ones at $349.

6. 73RR

73RR

Trust me on this guys, Roland really does read all of the mail that goes through the CP website and it will be a lot more effective if you send a letter with suggestions that for me to do it. There are days that I am sure he is tired of hearing from me...:p

SSX
    This project started life as an experiment, and since we ('the group') are all well into our 'golden retirement years', the SSX moniker was chosen to reflect just that...Social Security eXperiment... or, perhaps, it was a tribute to Mopars heydays in the SuperStock wars with eXperimental cars...having some CRS issues today...:D

7. EarlKann

EarlKann

8. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

valve covers look great glad to see some one taking an interest in the 318 poly to many of them have been crushed,,,

9. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally got Poly Home from the Machine Shop (Snyders)...

4" x 4" = 402
    K1 Crank
    Molnar Connecting Rods
    Ross 8:0-1 Pistons
    3.02 1.60 SS Valves
    Rebuilt Rocker Arms
    Brand New Cam
    ARP Head & Main Studs

FREEZE PLUGS:
    Now I just have to find those friggen 1 5/8" Brass "Dish Style" Freeze Plugs somewhere...?

Pics:
    Got a spare engine block and heads from the Machine shop...!
    Yes, The Valve cover is "on top" my 340.

Attached Files:

10. RustyDogg

RustyDogg

These intakes look really clean. Havent heard a word on performance yet. My Poly is getting one for sure. Hope they perform as good as they look.
    Gary P has been very generous with time and advice.

11. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

MRG 4339 003.JPG

The faithful are being rewarded...... Received mine........

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I may ask, when? Just recently or a while ago? I ask because I have waited over a year, and had to leave for Florida a month ago. I'm hoping I can get mine when I return to Minnesota next spring. Looks very, very nice. I assume that the valve covers are theirs also?

13. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

14. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

nice that those engines are finally getting some love,,, tons of those went to the scrapper,,,

15. Road Angels

Road Angels

Before you go nuts with cams intakes and such built the short block first so you know what it will be able to take as far as horse power goes, the bottom end is the big bucks and if its weak or you find you dont want to spend what it takes to make big gains and not blow it up, you can down grade to the parts that the bottm end can handle, build it on a spec sheet and price out the parts for the short block, dont assemble it you may have to change pistons, or fly cut them, build it on paper first then start ordering parts, I know its not as exciting as getting that new part in the mail

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Funny this thread popped up, my dad just scored a 3x2 intake for $55 over the weekend, the guy even apologized he lost one of the stromberg 97's, he also got a 2x4 for a 383 mopar for the same price too....

17. swifty

swifty

So he got a 3x2 Poly intake with only 2 97's for $55. Was it an Edelbrock or Weiand manifold? The Weiands are the rarest. Did he also get the carbs with the 383 manifold?

18. 73RR

73RR

I'll stick my neck out and assume that you are not one of the Mopar Faithful.
    The engines that have been built at 400+ inches make big power and there are no worries as to the bottom end. The 'A' engines come from a time period when MotherMopar was still using lots-o-iron in the blocks....none of this Siamese thin wall cylinder crap.

64polarbear likes this.
  19. Abomination

Abomination

$55?

WHAT.

THE.

EXPLICITIVES (feel free to use your own)?!??!?!??!?

20. Uh a semi hemi is a Ford. Just to avoid confusion at a later date, a Poly is a poly.

64polarbear likes this.
  21. 73RR

73RR

...except that after the A engine was dropped, GM and Ford copied the A engine valve arrangement and made folks believe that it was something new....

64polarbear likes this.
  22. Abomination

Abomination

A Semi-Hemi will get you shrugs. A dressed poly will get ya laid.

Just sayin'...

64polarbear likes this.
  23. Abomination

Abomination

Aw hell, the poly is like that "mouse/spider/squirell in the pants" gag. It's been done to death on TV, in movies and cartoons, and every time folks try to convince us that it's original and exclusive to them.

It's like the Karma Sutra. There's only so many ways to do it, man. Variations like "while winking" or "while giving a thumbs-up" don't count - sorry Big Three (and others). Your engineering "flourishes" are but variations on a theme.

And yes, I crawled out of the woodwork for this one. LOL!

~Jason

24. The ford engine called a semi hemi was the boss 429, I don't recall it being sold as something new although at the time everything ford was a "better idea" including the Pinto. :D

I was just trying to save later confusion, if someone was looking for hot rod parts for a semi hemi I would be looking for places for ford parts for them.

All that said, Offenhauser makes a 2x4 for the poly and I don't doubt that a cam shaft can be bought from any number of suppliers. I am not sure about the LA block having an interchangeable crank if they do then stroking is only I one wore out 360 away.

there are no doubt others on here that have all inside scoop on parts interchangeability on those engines.

I have owned a couple of polys and they were good engines.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  25. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

There are parts like a Modern intake and worked over heads with valves tweaked. A magazine by the name of Chrysler Power has the skinny on them. And a stroker crank for a 318,340, that mopar sells will get the inches up. Magazine is at Books a Million or check teir website out. You will be amazed.

26. Road Angels

Road Angels

No not a mopar guy but I have built alot of engines and I like to get all the power I can, I get 400hp out of 2.3 lima ford engines and its done with cubic dollars and not inchs, I always build them on paper first, it saves time and money and headaches, the strongest and best running engines are those that are well planned out

27. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Edelbrock, no carbs on the offy 383 manifold, atleast I think the dual quad is 383, it looks like an offy 2x4 383 except the carb flange is 100% square instead of almost square like I see on most of them. He just missed an edelbrock 2x4 chevy intake for the same price too...

28. sunbeam

sunbeam

I know this is a 2 year old post but I sure hope he scored a 62 up motor or he's going to be unhappy when he trys to bolt the trans up.

29. Colin Levasseur

Colin Levasseur
    from Phoenix

1958 Plymouth Belvedere. Original Carter AFB. It's shot. Got a 4 BBL. Setup from a '59 Fury. $20

Attached Files:

30. swifty

swifty

Good looking Plymouth. Have fun with it. What are your plans?