Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 239 flathead water pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glmke, Jan 10, 2015.

1. glmke

glmke

I got a water pump (driver side) that is seeping water, I assume it needs to be replaced, question is there anything i need to be aware of while trying to replace the water pump

2. The bolt inside the inlet.And Skip Haney in Florida can rebuild them.Some good reviews on Drakes pumps,and you should do both.

3. Pops42coupe

Pops42coupe

Its also the engine mount,so you'll have to support the engine. Theres a bolt in the bottom inside the water hose outlet that gets stuck,is usually from rust. May have to put a smaller socket like a 13mm on it with a hammer(hopefully you'll get lucky). If you get a pump with the bushing for the shaft,instead of the newer design sealed bearings,dont get the belt too tight,or itll go back to leaking soon. Thoser days the bely was just tight enough not to fly off...

4. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

In addition to the visible bolts holding the water pump to the block their is also a bolt located inside the lower hose inlet hole. Be very careful with this one as it has been in a corrosion rich environment for years. Penetrant, heat etc. go slow.

5. glmke

glmke

Got the water pump, no problems
    Anybody use speedway water pumps or is there a better choice
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421025073.081130.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. glmke

glmke

Got the speedway pumps with stainless steel bolt kits. Is there anything else I need to be aware of? Tricks? Tips?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. alchemy

alchemy

Antiseize on the threads.