Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4 speed shifter on 3 speed trans ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scott, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Scott

Scott

I have a good Saginaw 3 speed and a good Hurst competition plus shifter with the correct mount. I don't see why this couldn't be done. Has anyone done this before? I may go to a 4 speed in the future.

2. yes, you will have no need for the reverse rod

Scott likes this.
  3. Bingo! HRP

4. Scott

Scott

Good enough for me fellas :)

5. Move the reverse lever to one end and tie it off so you don't accidentally get into the wrong position at an inopportune time.

6. Scott

Scott

got it,(I was wondering about that)

7. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

I ran the same combo for several yrs. and never tied anything off. Never had a problem. I don't guess it would hurt anything, but don't think it is necessary.

8. Scott

Scott

Works great!

9. I saw 4-speed shifters used on stock car 3-speeds quite often.

10. Uncle got a good deal on a car that had a "bad" transmission once. Turned out it had a four speed shifter and knob on a 3 speed. Seller kept trying to shift according to the pattern on the knob and it would be of course reverse instead of 1st.

Texas Webb likes this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I've seen 3 speed shifters used on 4 speeds in drag cars years ago; it makes missing 2 gear less likely as the levers ARE moved through the reverse "notch". A separate lever has to be fabbed up for reverse, and you want to be careful not to have it in first and reverse at the same time (BOOM!). Just the opposite of what you're using/setting up. No reason it should't work; maybe you could even make the reverse lever part of the starting circuit with a switch, that could also serve as an anti-theft device if a 3 speed shift knob/ball is used to confuse a thief. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Saw one like that myself on a 64 Chevy one time. They used a cut off lug wrench for the reverse lever. Looked goofy, but it worked.