Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Halibrand QC Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Dec 14, 2014.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Just picked up an older Halibrand Quickchange with '35 '40 Ford bell adapters. The Ford bells have the 9" bearing ends so I assume I will be running sealed bearings? My question is why isn't there a seal where the axle goes threw the bell adapter into the center section? Seems to me the rear gear fluid will fill up the bells and starve the center? What's missing here? Thanks!
    DSCF5689.JPG DSCF5688.JPG DSCF5687.JPG

2. My "champ" style Winters has the seals in the bells. I'd assume yours did also, when it had the original bells on it. Can't speak to early ford axle housings or adapters.

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

There are normally seals in the adaptor plates. The three little tapped holes next to the center hole are there to accept bolts to push out old seal. (1/4 - 20?)
    You will to have separate the side plates from the center to put new ones in.
    To remove the plates, take off the outer 12 nuts and then put 5/16-18 bolts in the two tapped holes in the outer ring. That works as a press to separate the side plates from the center. Go slowly and alternate between the two.
    Some adaptor plates have oil return holes drilled in them where the early Ford trumpets drain. Probably not necessary.
    Some, but not all, bearing cups are machined for seals. If yours are, put them in. (looks like yours are)

Or, forget the whole thing and send that rear end to me. I'll even pay the freight.:)

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

So that steel sleeve that the axle goes threw will need to be " wittled down" on the outside so I can install a seal? Was told a universal 9" Ford axle with long cut 31 splines would work BUT I can see that wherever the seal goes they cannot be any splines.
    GearheadQCE, I am more of a pic is worth a thousand words kina guy, got a pic of what it should look likr? Thanks!

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry, I have an awful time posting pictures here. the seal rides on the spool not the axle.

6. Brigrat. If I am interpreting your handle right you are a Navy jail denizen. So, I'm assuming you need someone to keep it safe until your break out. I'm the man for that.

Seriously, it would be nice if someone started making those adapters again. Winters makes adapters for their Champ sized rear ends but they don't look right and supposedly only work with their center sections.

7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

GearheadsQCE, the spool was replaced with a Black/Gold adjustable posi, same seal set up?

8. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Yep!
    Pull the left side plate, you will see everything.

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Seriously, it would be nice if someone started making those adapters again. Winters makes adapters for their Champ sized rear ends but they don't look right and supposedly only work with their center sections.

Partly right, Winters does make 11 bolt adaptors. They fit several other center sections directly and can be made to work with Halibrand 11 bolt centers.
    The unique part is the Winters differential. It uses the large live axle bearings. this too, can be overcome. Will post pictures here when I get the adaptors done.

Bib Overalls likes this.
  10. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

For what it's worth I found a Halibrand catalog dated 1977 that shows a seal number 50389 for the side plate you're using. I'm not sure what brand that is but Halibrand normally used a manufacturer's number when cataloging bearings and seals so I'm sure that a bearing supplier should be able to cross reference it for you.

11. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Speedwrench,

While you have that catalog handy, does it show the 11 bolt side plate available in magnesium as well as aluminum?
    Thanx,

12. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Sorry about being so long in getting back to you.

My catalogs show the following:

H852AM - 12 bolt - magesium

H852A - 12 bolt - aluminum

ATH852A - 11 bolt - aluminum

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Thanx, that is what I came up with too.

14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The seal is what you need. The oil will not go in the Bells if installed correctly. I have had leaks but very seldom was it the seals fault….I didn't install them correctly. Part # 50389 - I purchased some about a year ago using that number.

My catalog from 1976 does not show any magnesium adapter plaets for 11 bolt cases nor any magnesium 11 bolt cases. I think I did have a mag case in the past but is was a 12 bolt.
    side.jpg
    This CAE plate shows where the seal goes. When removing the bearing race look for cracks in the housing….they are quite common but can normally be repaired.

I would hope that someone would start making the Champ cases and adapter plates but I am not sure how many they could sell due to the dominance of Winters in the QC market. A differential would also be nice and I know that QC Exchange in Santa Fe Springs, CA. has the rights to the differential that the New Halibrand company used. I don't think the New Halibrand Company is still alive but I am not positive.

brigrat likes this.
  15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just for the fun of it I tried Halibrand.com and got an active website?????????????????

16. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Gary, I sent them a message asking if they still are selling QC's and parts. Hopefully they will respond positively, but the site is an old one.

17. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

What did they say, @Pewsplace? I'm interested.

18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

19. Are you making up adapter side plates to sell or just for your own use? I have a Franklan (sp?) , a locking differential and a set of Ford axle housing that I would like to marry up some day soon.

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm just finishing up a rear sing au Halibrand center, Winters SR2493 side plates and Ford axle trumpets with Big Bearing ends.
    No BIG problems, but the type of differential you use can make a difference.

Attached Files: