Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical need whitewall advice 55 Buick Super

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by tommyduncan, Jan 14, 2015.

1. tommyduncan

tommyduncan

Getting parts together for my 55 Super that is in storage in another state. About to order tires... using stock wheels with Buick sombrero wheel covers. I want it fairly low but no bags etc...
    Trying to figure out what size, style, etc looks best without rubbing etc. Definitely want whitewalls but bias or radial, how much white wall I don't know?
    Any advice or pics would be greatly appreciated.

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

3. I put radials on my 56 buick station wagon, it came with wide white walls, I really didn't like the way they looked and went to a smaller white wall. I like it better .Here are 2 pictures you decide. 00o0o_82PxJSvNBPi_600x450-1.jpeg Thanks Bruce.

4. Here she is now.Bruce. 005.JPG

5. TraditionalKustoms

TraditionalKustoms

If you're building a traditional kustom, you'll want to pay attention to your whitewall size for sure.

Stock Buicks have a 15" rim. A 2 3/4" white looks appropriate for a pre-57 type of build while you can't go wrong with a 2 1/4" white if you're aiming after the '57 era.

6. Just my $.02 the second picture says to me 1964-1966 by the size
    of the ww and the cast hubcap. The first says 1956-57 When you build traditional, you
    need to consider that your era is only as old as your newest parts.
    Best of luck!

7. Model T1

Model T1

I've always liked the widest white walls and had several cars with them. However I really like the second Buick with the narrower whites now. Yes the wider whites are traditional and stock. It's up to the owner to decide.
    My 55 Chevy wagon now has the modern narrow whites and it's okay. Any wider gives it the antique look.

8. missysdad1

missysdad1

Does this do anything for ya'...?

facelift2.jpg

Tony Martino likes this.
  9. Torchie

Torchie

The whole wide white walls thing is a matter of personal taste as is witnessed by the differing posts here.LOL
    It's your car. Put on what you like and drive it.:)
    Torchie.

Krash Vegas and Tony Martino like this.
  10. Hey missysdad1
    Killer Buford!!!!
    Love it love it loooove it!!!!!!

11. tommyduncan

tommyduncan

Thanks for all the help.
    Two different pics of the same car really helped.
    The skinny white walls look good but not really the look I'm after.
    I agree! I'm not really wanting someone to tell me what I want, more to tell me what it is when I see it. I think the wide whites look better on a low car. Preferably part of the white wall tucked under the fender lip If possible. I also realize the 55 Buick isn't the easiest vehicle to accomplish this with its relatively high wheel openings.
    That is pretty much what I had in mind. What tires are those?