Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Gavin's 1941 Special Deluxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gavin_Ivey, Sep 5, 2011.

1. gatz

gatz

Might give WheelSmith a look....they have lots of std wheels and can make them up if req'd too.

2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Car is looking great. And I love the wheel covers. 15 inch I presume.
    I didn't read the whole thread but did you ever chop the top?

3. Ooooooooooo good point. When I first opened this up....it sounded like you were a rookie....but seeing your metal adjoinment...........I know that's not the case. Love the car, and your skills. It's gonna' be lookin' good....now or later.

Soooooooo....................we gonna' chop the top now ? :) haha Huh, huh, huh ?? Yeah, yeah, yeah !! Chop the shit out of it !!! Woooohoooo !

4. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thanks! Yeah, 15" is correct. For the longest time I was set on keeping 16's. I'm glad I got over that haha. I haven't chopped it yet. I really haven't touched the car in a coupe of years. It hasn't been eating any groceries and I didn't have the money to proceed until now.

My original plan was to chop the top after I got the patch panels buttoned up but I saw some good advice on a thread to get the car down on the ground before chopping because it is going to look different when it's sitting on the frame. So, I believe I'll heed the advice and knock out the suspension next.

5. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Hahaha a few years ago when I started this thread I was pretty damn green as far restorations and metal work is concerned. I do some fabrication at work, mainly with heavier steel but this car is my learning curve and first time fitting and welding panels.

With that said, I am still very much a noob and give you my most humblest thank you. I still cringe at every cut and tack haha. Luckily I have the HAMB for a wealth of information. I'd be lost without it. And yes, I'm definitely doing a chop! Hopefully sooner than later haha.

6. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

20141126_200943.jpg 20141128_152440.jpg The wheel covers/hubcaps (whatever you wanna call em) and the new Coker L78-15 whitewalls came in last week. The tire is about an inch taller than what's currently on the car so it's going to take a good bit of cutting to get the car on the ground. We'll see how that works out haha. Also, if shopping for wheel covers on ebay, I highly searching for the seller "rebelguy65". He was spot on about the description and I swear it looks like these wheel covers are so clean it looks like they came out of an autoclave!

View attachment 2776677

View attachment 2776680

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  7. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Got the Mustang II welded in. I was intimidated at first but it was actually pretty straight forward. Now if the wheels and air bags will hurry up and get here....

1417923579667.jpg

8. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Did a little mocking up and figured out the tires I purchased are 29.3" tall and way too big and interfere with the fender so I will be exchanging them for some smaller 26.88" tires this weekend when I go to Atlanta.

20141207_200205_resized.jpg
    I cut down the wood to match the new tire size and will have some wiggle room when the bags are compressed.
    20141207_220031.jpg

These are cut to the size of the tire I purchased. Not gonna work.
    20141207_200242.jpg

9. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Fender skirts finally came in, powder coated a couple of the wheels and mounted the tires, and put on a wheel cover.

1419634193081.jpg

10. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

11. Voh

Voh

Looks awesome Gavin! Where were the skirts from?

Work on Mine has stalled for a bit. Been building a new shop out back! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1419694920.751050.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Thanks! Bought them from a seller on egay. Same skirts as chevs of the 40's and others but about $75 cheaper shipping.

Looks like the shop is gonna be bad ass!

13. Gavin_Ivey

Gavin_Ivey
    from Seneca, SC

Posting these for Voh (since I can't upload to my photo album from my phone).

Attached Files:

14. Voh

Voh

Gavin,
    Can you tell me how low the bottom bolt for the front fender is? I am trying to get my cowl piece closed up below the floor, but am not certain if I need access behind it. It didn't look like it from your pics, but wanted to ask anyway.

Last edited: May 12, 2015