Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oil pan blues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terrible T, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Terrible T

Terrible T

I'm searching for an affordable rear sump pan for my 500cid I have found some aftermarket ones but the price is astronomical in my budget and not much luck finding a local swap in the yards here. Any help appreciated.

2. 500 Cadillac? If so you need the ElDorado pan and pickup. There is a 425 pan with a mid-rear sump I believe that may work for your car, depends on your chassis.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big rub on the 425 pan in some installations is that the drain plug is in the front center of the pan. the pan is also a lot deeper at the front than the Eldo pan. I have a 425 pan on the 500 in my 71 GMC and had to move the drain plug to the rear and that was a royal pain before I was done and I may not be done fighting with it yet. I wish I had spent the extra bucks and got an Eldo pan.

4. tommyd and jakespeed63 like this.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. Got this finished yet ?
    $20.00 for a bbc pan and a couple hours time

jakespeed63 likes this.
  7. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

The rear sump pans are on the Eldorado and Sevilles. The 500, 472, 425, and 368 pans will all interchange. Its probably easier to find the later 368 Eldo/Seville pans which started production in 1980.
    When you use the Eldo/Seville pan you'll also want to get the oil pump pick up tube to match the pan.
    The 500/472 engine block have 2 locations for the oil dipstick tube. One of them will be blocked off with a steel ball. You'll need to swap positions of the tube and the ball (I think the rear sump pans take the rear dipstick tube position). If you are real careful you can remove and reinstall the dipstick tube. If you break it off replacements are available.

If you can find one, I highly recommend this book;
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Inch-Cadillac-Doc-Frohmader/dp/B0006ROB9I
    [​IMG]

Bobby

Sprout and loudbang like this.
  8. So much good information here. :cool: When I "dropped" a 500 into a '64 Fleetwood, had to use an Eldorado pan and sump (was not cheap!) I really like the idea of a BBC, providing you have the fab skills to pull it off.
    What are you installing the Caddy motor into???
    JT

9. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Here is a pic of the 368ci Eldo/Seville pan on my engine.
    I forgot to mention that with the 368ci pan you might have to "adjust" the front of the pan a little for connecting rod clearance. On mine I had to gently "massage" the pan a bit with some light tapping with a body hammer to ensure clearance.....no big deal.
    [​IMG]

ekimneirbo likes this.
  10. Terrible T

Terrible T

Mine is in a 1962 f100 unibody truck I am lowering it and the front axle will hit the front sump

Attached Files:

11. squirrel

squirrel

a friend with a Volare clip 58 ford pickup and a 500 got the 425 pan I had...I think 77-79 were the same. Worked great for him. I don't know if the sump is far back enough for your application?

12. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I might have what you need, Eldo rear sump pan and pickup tube. If interested $100 plus freight. I will bead blast and paint. DSCN0024.JPG DSCN0024.JPG DSCN0022.JPG DSCN0021.JPG

13. Ramblur

Ramblur

My 65 Impala wagon came to me with a notched eldo pan. I have since built some headers and made my own sump with some help from MTS on a pickup tube. http://www.500cid.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Terrible T

Terrible T

Dangerous dan I may be very interested

15. Terrible T

Terrible T