Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are YOU doing to get ready for the 2015 Meltdown Drags?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Sep 30, 2014.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

306 already!?!?Wow!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

3. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

I thank you for the offer but to run "good loads" of nitro I'd need to borrow your Visa or MasterCard as well, about the only thing I could afford would be the kitty litter. I'm going to pull the engine apart to see what's what inside hopefully it won't need much. If it looks sturdy enough for real fuel I might be tempted to tip the can but just straight alky for starters. When does nitro start kicking in, 30% ?

4. slight increase in power at 30%. hardley noticeable in most engines. no smell crackle or flames. at 40% things start to happen. every 5-10% after that things get progressively more exiting. its not just % compression, boost and timing can make huge power gains. on a car with carbs and gas changing jets and timing on a car in tune may get you 20 hp. add some timing and boost and % on a blown nitro car and you can add up the power by the hundreds depending on how brave you are. nitro is its own animal unlike anything else. once you experience the magic of nitro you won't be happy with anything else. its how you go from a boy to a man in the drag world. on a safe tune up nitro is possible in your car with proper planning. guys have been doing it for years.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    fast30coupe likes this.
  5. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Getting hooked on nitro is my biggest fear, I ran some nitro years ago in a open 4 cycle kart and like you said you can never go back. This Jr. Fuel Gilmore is quickly becoming the #1 car, it was supposed to be a temporary ride till the K-88 was getting close. Most of my K-88 build budget was spent on the Gilmore purchase. Someone should do me a favor and buy the Gilmore so I can get back on track.
    Pict. of the deserted project K-88 10382856_726284460743416_4863800232403533486_n.jpg

Toymaker, Mikeszcz, enloe and 3 others like this.
  6. Got a little progress done on the ford. Got the front wheels on it, built some ladder bars and mounting brackets still planning to have it running at the meltdown

Attached Files:

7. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421020091.223625.jpg

As promised one side done one to go.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  8. Looking good

9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Man you guys do some nice work!

And you don't waste any time either!:)

That Ford is gonna look great,and I'm sure it will be no slouch going down the track either.:)

Scott

10. why do i have this feeling that your nitro addiction rehab is going to fail.

BigDrag likes this.
  11. AWESOME car!!!! I've seen it at the shop and drooled!

12. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Thanks for that I have to give Kerry Hopperstad all the credit. Kerry really nailed the body, he did a bunch of other stuff too. Call me crazy but that's exactly what I wanted.

13. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Ok, number 243 here, but I had a question, and I am sure that the Meltdown members on here can advise me. I located a one piece fiberglass front end for my falcon, but I wasn't sure if the scoop that was on it looked too new. Here is a pic. What do you guys think? Too modern looking?

[​IMG]IMG_20140504_170225_133(1) by Leadsled51, on Flickr

14. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Looks to be 67 427 Vette scoop.

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Looks like a nice front end.

Attached Files:

16. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

It looks like it was made that way, I don't think somebody added it. I just wasn't sure if it was "Meltdown Correct" or not.

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like some glass work for ya and a big ol teardrop they do seem to be popular now days.
    Or ????

18. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Well...if I was to play Devils advocate...I would reason that a 67 Vette is pretty much the same as a 66...that means a 67 427 Vette could run under the same rules as a 67 Chevelle, Nova, Fairlane, Corn-nut etc., and be eligible to run at the Meltdown...that would make that scoop a loophole and no less era correct than a "Grump lump" or a Two Lane Blacktop scoop...IMO.

19. Pre-registered last Monday morning and got our high winding SBC #296 today. Last year we registered around April, and got #216. I think it's safe to say that The Meltdown Drags are alive & well! This is testament to the Meltdown Crew and the gathering they have put together, they have sure hit the sweet spot!

20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Amen to that !!

21. Two thumbs up, but I'm not an MD official.

22. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Well, maybe an "official" Meltdown member will let me know. I hope it's ok!! I live for the Meltdown Drags!!!

23. That look's like a 1967 Big Block Corvette scoop but didn't a mid sixties T Bird have something like that?

24. squirrel

squirrel

[​IMG]

looks more like a ford than a vette, to me... but I'm probably wrong. Anyways, it's not the objectionable 70s-or newer scoops, so it might fly.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  25. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Leadsled51.... The scoop is good. I am the man behind the preregistration computer for the Meltdown.

I have seen a few snorkel scoops submitted... Those don't get a number.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

Got the passengers side shock tower mods roughed in.
    My Dad showed me a cool trick to make a mig weld look like a TIG weld:Run 1/4" long beads,super hot,slightly overlapping.

I think this one might be the nicest part of the entire car!lol!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421152619.429827.jpg

Scott

beebee78 likes this.
  27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Look at you go now Scott didn't even know how to spell weldor and now you are one.

Toymaker and powrshftr like this.
  28. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

Cool! Hope to get it all mounted soon......only 26 weeks and 3 days to get your stuff done!!!

powrshftr likes this.
  29. powrshftr

powrshftr

Let's see some more of that Falcon,and let's have some details about the engine and drivetrain while you're at it.Looks like a really cool car:)

Scott

30. squirrel

squirrel

What did I do today to get ready for the Drags? I put a couple quarts of ATF in the trans, and went for a little drive. It still runs.

30dodgeboy likes this.