Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1957 Chevy generator rebuild - got a few more questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas Giant, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Just got the new pole shoe screws in the mail today, and started putting it back together.

But, I have a few questions. In this picture, there is a gasket and a felt washer:

[​IMG]

Neither came with the kit I got. For the gasket, is there any reason I couldn't just make one out of some similar type of gasket material? I mean this thing isn't made of some sort of atomic age unobtainium, is it?

I guess for the felt washer I'll just see if I can find one somewhere that fits, unless someone knows a source.

Also, since my generator is one of those fancy power steering generators, there is a "split rubber o-ring (bearing clamp)" as the shop manual calls it, in the commutator end frame. This also wasn't in my kit - is this something that is typically supplied with a power steering pump kit? Or should I go out to the local NAPA or hardware stores and try to find a similar o-ring? Or does someone have a source for them? Mine's in pretty rough shape - hard and cracked - so I need to replace it.

One last question, for now - the kit came with sealed bearings; I assume this means I don't need to add oil to the generator as the shop manual says to? Since I don't think the oil could actually get inside the bearings? Or am I totally wrong?

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Sealed bearing requires no gasket or felt. Use your local industrial bearing dealer for O-rings.

3. X2 on the new sealed bearing. The felt is to soak up the oil when new non sealed bearing is used. I think something might need to be there so you don't get some play.

4. Gas Giant

Gas Giant

Excellent point - I was kind of suspicious that I wouldn't need the gasket and felt washer anymore with sealed bearings, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the replies.