Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Yeah the pump is almost on that stud - I ground a notch out of it already. That part is just the pressure check spring. I opened it and looked for a spring - the last 392 I built was missing the spring :( found out AFTER start up. Glad we are all busy making race parts :D hope 2015 stays like this.

Good call on the tube support - adding to the list. :rolleyes: Yeah Russ - tell us what happens when the pickup falls off ? We get more parts for this stuff .....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    firsttime-29 and kiwijeff like this.
  2. I just wanna blow your doors off, not the pick up too, so please secure it. Ok Tony. :)

3. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

Tony this is killer! can't wait to see it in action. I saw some pics of your sedan delivery on Bender's instagram last week. wish i knew you were in the area, i live not far from his shop. great guy.

4. Thanks Brian! I didn't know where I was going that day other than Inside The Perimeter :eek: . Its not that far after all :) we need to organize an ITP shop crawl. There are some cool places downtown its seems. That Bender guy is a good dude for sure.

5. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

atl shop crawl would be bad ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stealthcruiser and Dog_Patch like this.
  6. sch-1

sch-1

I'd like to tag along for that!

7. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Hi Tony interesting comments on the oil pickup .
    Which got me thinking.
    snapped oil pickups will wipe out a motor faster than you can say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious .
    I am intrigued how this happens and where it snaps?
    What is the root cause?
    I would guess vibration would be a factor and I would guess the threaded section into the pump would be the weak spot.
    If that's the case and its is the thread that fails then I would ask myself why?
    Look forward to the replay's

8. The one that failed on Cabbage's BBC was a weld failure. The pickup was booger welded to the pump and the weld broke and the pickup fell out. That's what I recall. I have looked and looked and cannot find the pics we had from that carnage. I know we took a picture of the pump and pickup. Can't recall if it had threads on the pickup. Don't think it did.

9. Well I had a special visit yesterday from Tony himself! He is in town for work and came by CP-Carrillo to see how we make rods & pistons, and to meet me, myself, & I. This visit was bitter sweet, because Tony is such a good dude & brother, I think he has defused my smack-O-gizer, and I'm may be unable to draw a bead on him any longer. He has some pretty bitchen plans for "The Shocker" so stay tuned. Tony, I want you to know, its going to hurt my heart when The Child shows you her laquer checked old ass, its just how she is, once I turn her loose, I can can't call her back till she's had her way with you.

II FUNNY likes this.
  10. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

TONY I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING THIS RUN AND TRYING TO MAKE PLANS TO SEE SOME "SEG" EVENTS THIS SUMMER BUT CALANDER IS NOT POSTED ON THEIR SITE. if YOU HAVE ANY INFO PLEASE POST IT ON HAMB.

11. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Tony is a Diamond geezer .
    Panneton Bros Racing just can't make out the rest of the Anglo American slang in the post!
    Are you saying Tony's a good old boy with lots of ideas and your going to help him build a Child beater?
    Only joking
    I checked out an article in Hotrod mag about yesterday's dream
    Total respect to you for building a copy of your Dads car.
    Has it changed much since the mag article?
    Dinner time now !
    Toad in the hole with green peas,carrots,and beef gravy.

12. Haha! My plan is working perfectly - I act like a nice guy until you drop your guard and BAM! SHOCKER!!! Giddy up Child! Go girl ! Too late.

I know Quain is working like a mad man to get the schedule nailed down. He has Steel In Motion on the list and Meltdown Drags but that's all I have seen so far.

Wow the King's English is thick as boiled Okra snot in this one ;) ta hell's a Toad in the Hole ? Sounds yummy.

13. Thank God for the South! Had to do some work in San Diego and managed to squeeze in a little car stuff in the Irvine area on Thursday. Man what a blast that was! Started out by going to Bryant Cranks in Anaheim. The long term plan for the Shocker is to run a 5/8" stroked crank on the 392 which will make it about 464. Making a billet crank is no easy task and the time lag of almost 6 months means it needs to be put in motion now.

Bryant Cranks makes some really top notch cranks for top fuel and Nascar. They will also make anything else you want :) . I met with Jim first and asked if I could see the cool machines and he said come on!

Check out the raw steel blank laying here.
    mill1b.JPG

No wonder it takes 3 months + to make a crank
    mill1a.JPG

Hard to see but this thing is removing more steel mill1.JPG

This thing drills the holes in the journals.
    crank_drill.JPG

This is a laser that checks dimensions on each crank
    laser.JPG

Top fuel cranks - I think he said - they only get 10 runs on each before they use a new one - some teams anyway. fuel_cranks.JPG

Micro polish polish.JPG

Ready to ship ! finished.JPG

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    FlatJan, kiwijeff, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Thanks for the pictures I could only dream of stuff like that.

15. I'll help Tony every way I know how too, but like I said, that Child has a mind of her own, and she don't like sniffing anyone's tail, plus I can chop a tree down when I need to, so Tony & and the Fat Fender Flapper better eat their Wheaties on race day.
    The biggest thing that's changed on ole Yesterday, is the amount of money Marc and I have spent on it!

16. After the plant tour I met with the crank guru who is an older fella and he just rolled 392 crank specs off from memory and we started talking about the build. I told him I had a Hilborn setup from 1965. His face lit up and he said with a big smile "I worked at Hilborn in 1965 :) - that's a 2-1/16" bore, you are gonna need bigger." He asked me about rods and pistons and I told him that was my next stop .....

CP_HQ.JPG

Just about 10 miles and 45 minutes of freeway :eek: later, I was standing in the presence of pure automotive genius :rolleyes:

Ric the myth the legend - here he is showing how the pistons are hand designed - every one of them! I learned more stuff about gas ports and ring lands and dome shapes in an hour than most colleges teach in a year! Way cool stuff!

The 5/8" stroker is going to get the Panneton magic touch - stay tuned ..... really.
    yesterdays_piston.JPG

17. I heart Tony. We are BFF's now.

18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You guys need to get a room :)

Dog_Patch and tylercrawford like this.
  19. PS. Tony, thanks for cropping out slowly emerging "thin spot" on the top of my pretty head.

20. By the way, it appears Tony has conveniently left out the caption to this pic of me at the helm. I was telling Tony, "see this bitchen little small block Chevy piston for The Childs new 413 incher, its gonna eat your big arm Hemi for lunch, and make Racer XYZ cry like a young widow".

21. child_is_doomed.jpg

Wait a minute, you think this is a conflict of interest? The suspension is killing me :confused:

22. Great pics man!

23. Talked to the cage guy. He has some of it done and its damn good looking work, he said 2 more weeks to finish. I tried to stress the need for speed. Oh well at this point can't do anything but go to the Freak Show! The Psycho Devilles played at the Dixie Tavern and The Captain and Maybelle did a bunch of freaky stuff. Now that was a good time :D

IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG958027.jpg

sideshow.jpg

allwilly likes this.
  24. Tyresmoke

Tyresmoke
    from Norfork

Time for an update don't you think!!

25. Yeah no kidding Dave! I told the roll cage guy the same thing :( creeping up on 60 days to build a cage :confused:

The crank scraper is here and looks like an interesting piece to put on.

scrapper.jpg

Quain was kind enough to let me make magnets for SEG race days :
    IMG_0589.JPG

kiwijeff, GAOldsman, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

great pics. damn you're going full on with this. awesome!

PBRmeASAP likes this.
  27. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

This roll cage guy is totally fucking ridiculous! More than once I have participated in a full roll cage build in a dirt oval car where there is prolly more bars than in a gasser, especially considering the door bars we installed in the doors to kinda keep the other guys out of your lap!
    Many of these we did in someone else's shop for them, and 2 of us did the job start to finish in a car already gutted, IN ONE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Take it down to D O M's, Tony, let him knock that shit out for ya'....................:p

GAOldsman, allwilly and Dog_Patch like this.
  29. Saxxon

Saxxon

We've done a few cages in our day and even in our reduced talent and mental capacity we can bang out the basic cage in a day. That's including a few practice bends just to get re-acquainted with our bender. Seriously, once you get the back and front hoops (or left and right - depending on the design) you're pretty much dealing with straight pieces and gussets.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  30. glrbird

glrbird

Let me guess, the roll cage guy use to have a paint and body shop!

62hotcat and powrshftr like this.