Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dropped I beam axle comparison

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Welderboy60, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Just wondered, is there much difference in quality between Speedway, Lucky 7 or Bell axles? Which are most using ? I'm doing a lot of pricing and research before starting my 30 Model A project. Thanks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. 117harv

117harv

Lots of info/threads on this subject if you use the search function. The best IMO, is a dropped original, and they can be had for less $$$ than aftermarkets.

Hitchhiker and gwhite like this.
  3. Fenders

Fenders

I'm using a Chassis Engineering axle. It's forged.
    As 117harv said, this subject has been thrashed over and over several times.....

4. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

A dropped original, does Sids do that? Or someone else. Sorry I didn't search. Duh. I will.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Lucky 7's axle is forged.. I like the one on my coupe...

6. CTAV8

CTAV8

Try Okie Joe Casto at Joe's Speed Shop. He has the best quality, service, and prices. Lots of knowledge and experience doing this sort of thing.

7. I run a SuperBell, and like it a lot

8. X2! Great customer service, magnafluxes everything he works on and really does a nice job. I'm extremely happy with my dropped 32 heavy axle.

9. Ghardingjr

Ghardingjr

We used a brand new lucky seven in a customers build once. It had 3 degrees positive caster. When I contacted the company about the problem they said that they would get back to me and then never returned any calls. We corrected the problem ourselves. We now drop original axles in house at The Old Soul Hot Rod Shop. We can drop an axle and still have good spindle clearance compared to some other ones we have seen done.

AHotRod likes this.
  10. 117harv

117harv

^^^ You mean camber?

11. Ghardingjr

Ghardingjr

Sorry, yeah camber.

12. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Nostalgia Sid for me.....

13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Anson Axles here, Greg's done several for me and they look great.

Carter and hugh m like this.
  14. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Any thoughts on the Speedway or Pete and Jakes. Thanks for the info so far!

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why do we keep having this conversation?

Dropped original.

Done.

16. Where have you looked so far ?

Never mind.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Just looked at what's available by searching here and on web. Kinda seems goofy to pay more to ship my 80 year old piece of steel, pay roughly $200 to heat and drop it when I can have a new one in hand for $ 300. I was trying to hear a why one was better than the other. Facts like tensile strength of the steel.... Fit or hell even if so and so imported theirs. Not looking to piss anyone off.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okie Joe did mine.

19. 117harv

117harv

Welderboy60, Here is some reading for you. A forged aftermarket axle is fine if that's what you want, however nothing beats an original dropped axle for looks, IMO, and i'm sure many share this opinion.

Dropped Axles and Aesthetics...

gwhite likes this.
  20. When you come to the Hamb and ask questions you need to be prepared to take the good with the bad.

The Hamb as a whole is full of hot rod guys that are offering you their personal opinions,many guys here won't use aftermarket axles and prefer to build a hot rod using original modified parts,the front axle is one of those parts.

Henry used Forged I beam axles on most of the cars that left the factory,I understand the thought process,so it cost more to do it that way has no bearing to a guy building a period traditional car.

Using a aftermarket axle is a personal choice but most agree it needs to be forged although there are a lot of cast axles out there and Superbell makes a tube axle although it is recommended that you use a 4 bar or hair pins.

I posted a number of threads you can look through at your leisure and make a informed decision. HRP

21. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Thanks, I've did search, and guess this horse has be beat a lot before. Again thanks for the patient and sincere info.

22. SoCal and Lucky 7 axles are forged and, correct me if I'm wrong, the work is done in Indonesia. Super Bell/Pete & Jakes are cast and sold by Speedway. Magnum are also cast as I recall. Take your pick.

Joe and Sid work together. Joe drops the 28-48 axles and Sid does the later truck axles.

I have several axles dropped by Greg Haynes (Ansen). I highly recommend him.

28 to 36 Ford axles are the best candidates for dropping. 37-48 axles have clearance issues. From a looks standpoint, a properly dropped and detailed Ford axle is superior to a clone. If you can not see the difference or it doesn't matter to you use an aftermarket axle. We build these creations for our self and not for the approval of others,

23. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

I only use original dropped (you can tell the difference at a glance) and have Okie Joe do them.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never seen an aftermarket axle do this (although I have seen SEVERAL broken ones):
    [​IMG]

Hitchhiker likes this.
  25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you're starting to sound like a street rodder that wants everything done for them with new parts from china cheaper than you can have it done with original Ford parts...sad.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Don't go there..... I sure ain't rich or lazy. It will be my hands that build the damn thing, with the cash my hands earn me. And after today's lesson, will be my 30 A's axle dropped my most likely Joe.

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PLEASE tell me Chassis Engineering sells forged axles.

28. You don't like playing ground hog day? I seems pretty popular.o_O

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  29. Most People don't want to read.
    They want the answer that they want to hear spoon fed to them and politely. Much as if they are the first to ever wonder or no one that's walked before them ever considered the epiphany they are having.

Consider what would happen if someone asked a question and they were handed a book instead of a spoon fed answer. The ramifications of such behavior, oh my :)

Dropped original is the first choice.
    IF you need a Narrow axle because of aftermarket brakes and wheels increasing the track width then choose a Forged after market as they are narrower. Unless you are hardcore and then you narrow your original. Be aware that the narrow axles need a custom spring because the sectioning comes from the center.

Perhaps no one reads the descriptions or sized of the axles or pondered why aftermarkets are narrow?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.