Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Doing Falcons Right

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconizer_62, Jul 23, 2008.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. You don't need discs in the rear.

2. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Okay, I was just seeing if there was a kit. Does anyone have any info on what tires may help me out or any other suggestions on getting more clearance for my tires with the set up? Thank you

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You may have to build mini-tub outers.

That's what I need to do.

4. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Thank you I was thinking that may be the best fix. I already need to make the spare tire holder and fix the rusty wheelwells might as well do it all at one time. It would be nice to build tubs for something other than VW buses. Here's what I do on the side. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420862577.326914.jpg

5. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Sorry about the non falcon content.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Thank you, still learning.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We all are. Every day is a school day.

9. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Oh and I did end up making 2" drop spindles. Still haven't tested them on the car. I may need to modify them but I will know better once I start the disc swap. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420874810.313480.jpg

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you have those Magnafluxed?

11. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Yes, I had them tested for stress cracks and porosity. I work in a structural shop so I used our badass dual shield welder that we use to weld 3/4 steel no problem. And after welding I tossed them in kitty litter for 4 hours to cool slowly.
    The welds aren't cosmetic but strong as hell, I also added more material than I took away. They are defiantly over engineered. I wouldn't offer them for sale just because liability is scary but I am 100% confident that my family is safe in the car.

loudbang likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's the ticket!

13. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

very cool good job on those!

14. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Thanks guys.

15. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Well as much as it saddens me to say it. I just put my 1961 falcon wagon on eBay, if anyone knows anyone looking please let them know. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1421781469.736091.jpg

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. cage66

cage66
    from reno

It's for the best. I bought a 59 VW doublecab. And have to pick which one stays. For me it was an easy choice.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Falcon is on its way to Japan. I need some help on something else.
    I bought these from someone on here hoping that I could make them work for the falcon. Maybe someone can help me figure out what they're for. I would need to modify them a LOT to make them work for the wagon.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422235727.647610.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422235780.154717.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422235807.038834.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422235836.528224.jpg

In the 2nd to last picture you can see how much would need to be trimmed to work for the wagon.
    I assume they are fox craft the last pic is the stamping on the lip. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422238561.010363.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  20. cage66

cage66
    from reno

Oh and here is the DC project ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422236371.265623.jpg

21. cage66

cage66
    from reno

The falcon is on its way to a custom chopper shop in Yokohama Japan. I maybe able to see it again in a few months as I will be there for vacation. Thanks everyone for your help.

22. cage66

cage66
    from reno

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422977371.767803.jpg i wanted to share what I did to get the rear wheels/tires off. Since I had 3" blocks in the rear the axle would not drop down far enough to get the wheels off and even if I deflated the tires it was a bitch.
    I put a bottle jack in between the "frame" and axle and was able to get a bunch more room. Hope this helps someone.

23. After buggin' the shit outta' EvilFalcon about his Sanderson Falcon headers, I finally found some headers that will fit a Falcon with shock towers, a V8 and an AOD transmission:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was gonna' send 'em out to get ceramic coating.....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  24. So last week I got all bored like so I decided there was no time like the present to go ahead and paint my shorty headers.
    Since it was way too damn cold to even attempt painting them in my garage after baking them in the long suffering wife's oven, I hatched a nefarious plan...

I gathered up a cylinder of MAPP gas and various other implements of destruction and headed to the machine shop where they offered to let me use the shot peen machine to rough up my brand new headers...

"Yeah right", says I, as I bulled my way back through the shop to the other noise maker, the bead blaster....

It didn't take long to scuff 'em up, blow 'em off and douse them with MEK.

Armed with some safety wire, MAPP gas and an S hook, I headed up to the second level of the shop where it was about 80* and proceeded to warm the pipes up to 200* and laid down three light coats of VHT flat black about ten minutes apart...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I left the headers upstairs to dry overnight and Lloyd only called me twice later in the day: once to tell me that an airplane crashed into the building but my headers were okay and a second time to tell me that someone had snuck upstairs while they were busy and stolen my headers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So the next morning I showed up, grabbed the headers (while wearing latex gloves, of course), and headed home where I could get away with putting stuff in the oven that was not food....
    [​IMG]
    200F for 30 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes. 400F for 30 minutes. Cool for 30 minutes.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It helps if you have a M-60 gunner's barrel change glove.
    [​IMG]
    I got in trouble anyway because the Missus came home early from work.
    Stay tuned for how to clean parts in the dishwasher with Easy-Off oven cleaner.

25. So I drove to my exhaust dudes place last Friday afternoon. It was a balmy 24* ......
    [​IMG]

Saturday morning we yanked off the cast iron manifolds and cleaned up the exhaust ports.
    [​IMG]

The Sanderson instructions suggested Permatex Ultra Black RTV be applied to the ports on the headers and left overnight to dry- I was glad that I'd done just that because I prolly would have knocked it off the flanges while wiggling the headers around in the engine bay....yeah, it looks ugly.
    [​IMG]

We raised the engine about .25" and turned the wheels to full left lock to miss the pitman arm and the left side went on and got bolted up.....
    [​IMG]

The right side was a different story. Although the header went straight up and in from the bottom, we had to heat and dimple the number three exhaust runner so it would clear the shock tower. So much for my careful paint job.
    Anyhow, it bolted up just fine after that.

[​IMG]

Driver's side flange:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side flange:
    [​IMG]

And the collector:
    [​IMG]

Marty bending and fitting the new head pipes...
    [​IMG]

Fancy Stage 8 collector hardware:
    [​IMG]

I decided that was enough for one day...I was due back Sunday morning to put the locking hardware on the header flange bolts, put the plugs back in and fire it up to see what would catch fire.

26. Sunday morning it seemed it was gonna take as long to put the Stage 8 locking hardware on the headers as it did to put the headers on......
    [​IMG]
    HSP 1800* spark plug boot protectors....
    [​IMG]

And a crappy iPhone video of the paint smoking- first cure, still on the fast idle cam:

That's it....

Dank 63C Falcon likes this.
  27. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Has anyone ever put a 60-61 front end on a 62-'63? are there mods required the rad support/head light area? or are the supports the same?

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are not the same, but it can be done.

29. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

my front fenders are shot and my hood is missing theres a '60 front end available locally i think i like the looks of them better but i certainly dont want to cut off a rad support to do it

30. Evilfalcon1961

Evilfalcon1961
    from Ma

Burntout , looks great ! I know I will have to massage mine into place too. Debating on doing my headers black as well

Attached Files: