Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shot myself in the foot and now I need a unisteer or redo my motor mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Many would beg to differ.

As far as more traditional goes use your eyes. One looks like a steering box, the other doesn't.

2. metal man

metal man

I wouldn't go so far as to say "vastly superior". I have had a few guys tell me they liked the feel of them better than a box . I prefer the feel of a steering box, just personal preference, I guess.

The uni- steer thing comes with it's own set of possible drawbacks too. One being they are ugly as hell on a hiboy, with that shiny disc and boot thing exposed under the left frame rail. Also you really have to pay attention when putting it all together. I have seen two hot rods with narrow axles and hairpins, where the hairpin was able to contact the "stub" that sticks out when the car is steered to the right.

And yes, a vega box at least looks like a steering box.

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Can you move the alternator to the other side leaving room to move the box up?

Or

Move the box and have the steering on the right side

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Your close. The HEMI in my 34 is really snug. If you rotate the back of the box up will it clear the mount? Your u-joint angle would be a little more and you might need to bend the steering arm more. Sweet makes a u-joint that is a little smaller than the joint you have....It all adds up.
    If that doesn't work I would redo the mount.....Couple hours and it will be done, and you'd never look back.
    I do agree that the front end looks a little short compared to the roof line.
    I would do any of those three before I would consider a unisteer.

5. metal man

metal man

It amuses me that you have taken a
    Car that had a new , shiny paint job on it, ground all the paint off, cut the body into little pieces and welded it all back together in a completely different shape.... Yet you're struggling with the idea of building the engine mounts twice.

I get it, but it's still funny.

6. OFT

OFT

Would a "non altered" 525 box work with it's longer input shaft. That would put U joint in back of the mount. I think the one in the OFT has shaft 5-6" long and splined 3/4-36. I can measure in am if you need exact measurement.

Earl

7. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Sorry guys, I'd have to vote for the Unisteer. I have one on my car, and it's a hiboy. I know that some guys love it some hate it, but the car steers really great with, quick response. The only complaint I have it is the steer radius. Remember the old song, Give Me 40 Acres... I feel like it sometimes, but I have gotten used to as it's been on the car for about 7 years. But, it's all about personal preference.... Just by 2 cents.

8. A Boner

A Boner

I think the unisteer mounts in about the same place as a Vega box!

A Vega box works just fine.......and at least it looks like a steering box.

Did you bolt the driver side exhaust manifold on yet?

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, 31V;
    I'll say this for for you & this project... it really never ceases to amaze/amuse me. No offense, but the situations that you get yourself into, & then when solved - coming out smelling like a rose + looking better on top of it all, is worth it. I'm kinda waiting to see what goes to hell next, & the fix that results... + the humorous post(s) to go along w/it... :D . If we ever meet at the BTT50s, beer/lemonade/whatever, is on me. :D .
    Still got some sketches on the back window, but I'm guessing that part is long done & finished in already.
    I still think that a bit longer in the nose would help the proportions, + now it looks like it'd help for the box placement. Hmmm... :D . I take it that even if you move the box forward right near the front crossmember, the alt would complain about sharing the same space(looks sorta-like there might be barely enough room if you're using cross-steer), & would that also hose-up the steering geometry? This is getting interesting, esp since you're rather creative.
    Long live the Tequila Spl. :D .
    FWIW.
    Marcus...

10. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Sounds weird, but can the box be mounted behind the motor mount and then the pitman arm be linked to some sort of bell crank (idler arm) up from to maintain proper geometry? Might be a dumb idea but could be a way to have your cake and eat it too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. dan31

dan31

Wizard steer clear maybe?

13. Think this might work. Thanks Andy
    Ill just have to make a goofy mounting plate and cut it into the frame.
    Easy peazy (not)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  14. The wizard steer clear or my variant will be needed if I stay with the 55 chevy dash. But it will be inside.

15. right hand drive??????????:):D
    sorry

16. Lots of luxury cars in LHD countries were built as RHD back in the 20's and 30's. You only drive on the wrong side of the road to emulate the French who during the Revolution just to show they were new and different.

17. You ain't sorry :)

18. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Not trying to be an ass but that is what mockups are for, to be sure everything fits. You can't mock it up and then move stuff around and expect it to all still fit. Not saying you, but I know a lot of mockups are done to see how cool it will look.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  19. Yeah your right, hence the "shot myself in the foot"
    I wouldn't say that you're being an ass, I think captain obvious fits better.
    I guess I got a bit distracted about the same time I needed to cut the whole car apart.
    Then this is a free time project (aka pet project) so it gets divided attention.

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  20. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Meant to get in on this yesterday evening... Fell asleep instead. Here's another vote for some new mounts,
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420902755.252646.jpg
    Same damn boat, but the bullet just barely missed my foot.. I think your engine sets a little higher, with a biscuit mount you would have even more room than I do... There's more pictures of how the steering came together in my build thread.

Hnstray likes this.
  21. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Forgot to mention my alternator will be on the other side... I think...

22. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you looked at a Mustang box and Pete & Jake bracket for a 4-bar? The steering arm stays close to the frame and top left bar, and may clear your headers. Very nice setup, IMO, as the box is towards the rear, and with a 5:1 non-power ratio steering is great, and is more "traditional" :cool: than the Vega box, if that's a factor. :)

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here's my idea. I have no Photoshop skills at all so here goes.
    1) Remove motor mount.
    2) Take part #1, turn it so it curves toward engine and mount it on top of the frame rail where the X is :)
    3) Take part #2 and modify it to fit with part #1 ( or build new parts to suit new motor mount style.)

You would then have a motor mount with an open space underneath it on the side of the frame rail to tuck your steering box into.
    The U joint could come in from underneath too likely.
    Just another idea. :)
    Larry

image.jpg

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

that's what I said,
    flip them over and swap side to side,
    may need to relocate bolt holes slightly and trim the frame mounts.

like in this shitty photoshop

hemi mount.jpg

25. metal man

metal man

Just to further confuse matters...last week, I stretched a '34 Ford frame 3".

It is a new aftermarket frame made by another shop years ago, but never painted or used. It has a Vega box mount on it.

I centered it and attached it to the frame table, decided where to cut it ( right at the back of the flat crossmember). Next made the cuts and moved the front section forward 3", jigged it up and fabricated the filler pieces. Welded it all up, inside and out, ground smooth with 24 grit, then 50 grit.

Then, I moved the Vega box mount forward 3" and also moved the mounts for the radius rods forward, as well as removing all evidence of the old
    Ones.

The whole process took 16 hours.

26. I know the just flip it over thing looks like it will work.
    I can't afford to raise it that much.
    image.jpg

But the bolt holes are sleeved, speed holes and bushings sleeved. image.jpg

I got it though.
    Never seen a vega box mount like this one :)

27. Nocero

Nocero

I build three different Motor mount set-ups. I had one hell of a time getting the steering box to work here's what I ended up with very similar to the previous posters granted it's not a hemi but I'm sure steering box location to frame mount is similar. I also sacrificed floorspace and raised the engine up a little bit to make everything easier.
    What you have got there in the last pic looks pretty good to me. I probably have a mount similar enough you could modify if I looked through my scrap bin ! If it's not done at least twice it can't be right

Attached Files:

28. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Thanks for your help fellas!

A J shaped bracket.
    image.jpg
    Minor frame surgery and 3/4" thru holes.
    image.jpg
    3/4 tube tapped for 7/16" bolts sleeved thru frame and welded both sides.
    I had to drill the treads out of the box though.
    image.jpg
    Test fit.
    image.jpg

Fit in, Tacked in, done thanks Andy! . I'll weld it later.
    image.jpg

All day for a $20.00 bracket:) gotta love it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Woogeroo and Max Gearhead like this.
  29. :D Its Never a dull moment around here. Yes that's exactly how this started, and it hasn't stopped since. When you introduce a comparison of an entire car to a motor mount it is pretty damn funny. But on the other hand ive had my lunch eaten and I've bled more than enough on this one. i don't want to bleed any more not even a drop and i want all the crumbs from lunch too if I can help it. It's all fun eventually. Sometimes the fun isn't seen until its a over and now a story. :confused:

30. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Thanks for the pics. I have a similar situation on my Lincoln, I am planning on going to a GM power box, and the motor mount is right where the factory Lincoln box is now. As a matter of fact, it's almost touching the top of the box. I'm going to make a new motor mount when I put the power box on. Thanks to the other ideas from the other members too, it helps me to visualize what I need to do to mine.

I love The HAMB!