Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical STEERING BOX QUESTION!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flathead 37, Jan 5, 2015.

1. flathead 37

flathead 37

So I am rebuilding the steering box in my 1937 ford half ton, and I have a bit of a dilemma. I cant figure out how remove the race that the bearing on the right portion of this picture rides on. it is awfully tough to get at, and I was wondering if there is any secret method? 1937 ford steering box.png

Hemi Joel likes this.
  2. Andy

Andy

I made a special tool for that. It is just a piece of scrap 1/2" plate. It is slightly L shaped and the small end is pretty sharp to get to the top of the bearing. I get it on the bearing and push the top to the opposite side and wack it with a hammer. Move it around and they come out.

3. flathead 37

flathead 37

I tried a little tiny pry bar and hammer. it didn't budge. now I got it soaking in penetrant oil. hopefully that will help

4. steems

steems

I welded a small bead inside the race, once the weld cooled the race fell out.

Q likes this.

5. You didn't have to tap on it?

6. Just went through that with the 41 box in my Model A, had to use a Dremel tool with a small cut off wheel, from inside of the box, I cut the race part way through and used a small, sharp chisel, smacked it with a hammer and it broke through, finally came out. Gave me fits for about an hour.

7. walker

walker

Welding a bead on the race works very well.

8. flathead 37

flathead 37

its out! put a tac on it, and took a little bit of prying but it is out, and all the new components are in the box. sitting in the vise with a new coat of paint on it!

9. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I grind an internal groove in the cast material of the box where the column slips on, in two postiuons roughly 180 degrees apart, just enough to get a hard pin punch onto the shoulder of the bearing and tap it out. I have a thing about doing modifications that allow the NEXT guy to be able to get things apart easier.. pretty silly, I know.

10. steems

steems

No, didn't have to do anything. After I welded the race, I turned the steering box over, and after it cooled the race was sitting on the garage floor.

timwhit likes this.
  11. X2!