Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 C10 - Rust Therapy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 sparky, Oct 14, 2013.

1. 53 sparky

53 sparky

So now you're up to date: I did complete the engine rebuild but wasn't taking many pictures. I did rework some tall Edelbrock valve covers because I installed roller rockers and the stock valve covers didn't have enough clearance, I'll see if I can dig up the pics.

My plan is to build the drivetrain this winter and begin my first real body work project as soon as I can. Thanks for coming along for the ride!

2. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Here's the only pic I took last summer when I was finishing the engine rebuild:
    [​IMG]

3. I'm not sure where you are with the paint but at one point mine looked very similar to yours. I used 3M Trizac (sp) 3000 pads to wet sand mine, followed with Meguires #7. Apply the Meguires and leave it on overnight, it "moisterizes" the paint, then I followed with wax. I'm pleased with how it brought out the color but also left it's earned patina. Go to the junk yard and get some Jeep door checks to keep the doors from opening to far and getting creased. You've got this headed in the right direction. Keep it up.

4. willymakeit

willymakeit

Nice thread. Always liked these trucks.

5. This is the OE paint to give you an idea of the results. image.jpg

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ok, I'm in

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Thanks for that 65Gregg, I keep flip-flopping on whether to do a full body restoration or try to bring back the original paint. Your picture makes me want to try to bring it back first. I was just about to send some of the body parts out for media blast because there's a pretty crappy bondo job I discovered while taking off the bedsides. Maybe I can patch that panel and then try to match the original paint on the repair. It's only original once, right?

Thanks!

8. Rear bumpers were optional on Chevy trucks, some of them had that flimsy lookin' car bumper but most wee either purchased new without and a step bumper was added or the dealer put a step bumper on. A lot of dealers back then actually had step bumpers made with their name embedded in the bumper.

That bed wood looks almost usable, rare for a C-10 od that V vintage, if it is still solid I would do all in my power to preserve and use it.

The 6 lug is stock and unless I wanted to use American type mags on it I would keep it that way. I have converted a lot of them to 5 lug over the years and have learned one thing, it is just as easy to find wheels in 6 lug and up to par the brakes work just find. A lot of work for nuthin as far as I am concerned.

9. 53 sparky

53 sparky

I'm looking for something less clunky to go back on.

The bed wood was so dry rotted that I stepped through it when I was walking to look at the cab roof. Didn't even slow my foot down.

In my opinion, one of the reasons for doing a project like this is to get a chance to try things you haven't done. I don't really care if the project takes longer because I don't NEED it right away. So I'm not bothered that converting to discs and 5 lugs is less efficient and the end result is not significantly different. To me it's about doing something because you can and maybe learning something on the way.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Question for you suspension types:

The drivers side LCA I got from a '78 C10 parts truck has a ding in it near the sway bar mount. Is this OK or do I need to repair/replace it? I don't think that it has affected any of the geometry anywhere relevant in the LCA. The donor truck drove OK but I didn't get the alignment checked before I stripped it.

[​IMG]

11. 53 sparky

53 sparky

12. 53 sparky

53 sparky

Got the frame and a lot of the inner fender parts off to the sand blaster today.

The UPS guy brought me some goodies today - new trailing arms, tie rod ends, and ball joints. I also began looking at rear ends. Well, actually, I've been looking at rear ends for a while, but the ones I'm talking about right now are somewhat less pleasing to look at. ;).

From what I've seen on the web, most 1962 Chevy trucks didn't have a dana 44, although I understand that most 1962 GMC's did. Mine appears to be the Eaton, and i've heard that parts to rebuild it are difficult to find. It is leaking at every one of the seals. Any suggestions for a donor?