Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

2. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

3. olskl_dave

olskl_dave

Love this thread...
    Regards Dave.....

4. you made some big steps, Antti, congrats to that!!! looking sweet and it's back on the frame, so cool!
    maybe i missed it but did you talk of the upcoming color?

Cheers and best wishes for fifteen,

Carsten

5. farmer12

farmer12

Looking great Antti! I'm really enjoying this build, keep up the impressive work!

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!

Thanks Carsten and Happy new year!
    I guess i havent talk about the color.Looks like most kustom cars are nowadays maroon or black.Personally i dont care much about the maroon,there is nothing wrong with the black,but i want something different for this project.My bike is black and i think it would be a pretty boring,if everything is black in the garage.
    Well,i guess i'll figure out something.

Thanks Eric!
    And now a little update..kind of.
    At today i had a surgery,not a lobotomy or vasectomy,but an oil pan surgery:

[​IMG]

I wasnt happy with the first version,so i started it again.I made a deeper bottom part,so the oil capacity should be really close what is was before notching it.
    I guess it isnt the most beautiful oil pan in the history of the modified oil pans,but it should do the trick.Just need to make a drainhole on the side and leak test my tig weldings.

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Simple but effective . Does the sump tube go down that far ?

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

Thanks!
    I dont think the tube is an issue,the bottom is around 1" deeper than it was originally.The original bottom was pretty beaten,so that was one reason to cut it off.
    But i'll modify the tube too,if it looks like it may cause some problems.The tube issue was a good point!

9. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Some nice progress here! Keep it up!

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here is an update:

The sandblasting revelead few pinholes right above the sealed vent holes.
    So,i thought what to do with that mess?
    This is going to be a bit anti-kustomizing,i decided to save the fresh air vent holes on the firewall.
    I am not going to put any modern air condition stuff under the dash,so i figured out that the factory fresh air vents are the best(and cheapest)way to get some fresh air in the car.
    It was just easier to cut the previously done patches off the firewall.
    The start:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the new patches are done with the new holes.I made a templates,so i was able to cut the holes on the correct spot:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some testfitting with vent ducts and blower case:

[​IMG]

Yes,i know those ducts and blower case looks like a shit at the moment,but the plan is to get them powdercoated too at some point.
    Does the firewall look like a smooth?
    Hell no,but at least i'll get some fresh air and heat in the car anyway.

farmer12 likes this.
  12. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Looks very good, nice to have some heat in the cars when we live in europe :)

13. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I don't know about there but in both LA and North Jersey the vents make a huge difference when it's hot out. I shaved the heater and just ran vents then when my wife got on the kick of you have to have heat in the car for my son I reinstalled the heater box ect. I had the CD player mounted in the heater box so had to turn it back into a heater. The piece that goes across the firewall on the inside for floor heat is useless. The 6v motor will run like a bat out of hell and push a lot of air and the defrost work almost okay. I know last winter I drove all over Jersey without any real problems minus if the winds got above 35mph snow would make its way up the vents sometimes. Also the dealer accessory filters that go inside the cabin choke the air way down. I stuffed rags into the vent when it got below freezing because of the snow coming in and the cold cutting thru me being fresh from LA didn't help I'm sure.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!
    Some fresh air now and then is good to have too!

Well,we have few really hot days in here at summer.So i think that functional fresh air system is useful.I dont have that piece that goes across the firewall(i think its called plenum?),but i guess i'll buy one when i see it for sale.
    I dont have the accessory fresh air filters either,but i guess it could be good to have something that blocks dust,insects or other "smaller than squirrel" sized crap out of the car.
    I was wondering what to use as fresh air duct/heater operating cables?
    Maybe bicycle stuff or something like that could do the trick..

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're building a driver, screw the smooth firewall!

16. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Do you not have the cables? The wires inside them are solid. I have an extra set of you'll pay for the ride I'll give them to you. Someone gave them to me so I'll pay it forward. The plenum thing they repop in plastic the originals are cardboard. I can think of other ways to spend $99 plus shipping. Plus I'm not a fan of mine doesn't really work all that great.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hell yeah!

Thanks for the offer,i'll send a PM for you!
    There wasnt any cables for the heater or for the fresh air ducts when i got the car.The heater control unit was on the dash,but thats it.The heater box was gone too,but i've bought it afterwards.I guess they dont need much heaters in Florida...
    I figured out that the cables must be solid,so they wont twist when operating them.
    I think that plenum thing isnt on the top of my shopping list and yes,there are a lot of other ways to spend 100 bucks than piece of plastic!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  18. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

So you don't need one of these too? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423843800.278098.jpg
    I have an extra.

19. farmer12

farmer12

Great work as always Antti!

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks like there is no need for the heat/air control unit,but thanks for the offer again,i appreciate it!
    The one i have on the dash is a bit different than yours,its not so curvy than those in the pic and its located below the gauge clusters left side on the dash.And its in OK condition,the levers move fine.Only one cable clamp is missing,but i dont think thats an issue.
    I guess those your control units are from '50 and they are mounted under the dash,on the right side of the gauge cluster?

Thanks Eric!

21. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Nice work with the fire wall
    I know that heater is good to have in cars in here up in north and AC is not nececarry

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

23. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Yes controls are 50. Before I put my heater back in I ran the 49 type mounted to the steering column. The controls mount right under the ignition area.

24. I'm pretty sure I have extra '51 control cables if you need them. I'll take a look today.

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Looks like the controls are one another thing that are different on every year of shoeboxes.I guess the car manufactories doest change their design nowadays like they use to do.Its a kind of cool that the small details like these are different on every year,but it can be a pain in the ass to find correct pieces.

Thanks Andrew!
    Only control cables that came with the car,are 1" long cutted stumps on the control unit.
    So,all the heater cables are long gone too,not just the fresh air cables.

26. 2BROKE

2BROKE

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

Well,there has not been anything worth to post so far,just some boring stuff.
    But here is a little update:

I've been thinking what to do with the benchseat tracks.The seat i bought is from '50 and the tracks wont seat properly on the '51 floors.And the seat adjusting rod that runs across under the seat is a real pain in the ass.It just hits on the transmission tunnel.I guess it works fine with the factory tunnel,but not with a modified ones.
    So i thought that wire operated seat tracks would work better.I didnt want to spend 100 bucks for a pair of universal tracks,that are made in China.
    So i asked my bro does he have any extra seat tracks.He got few pairs from Chevy's and i decided to use Chevy pick up tracks,they have the most simpliest design.He gave me these tracks free,thanks bro!

[​IMG]

Next i made some seat mounting pieces:

[​IMG]

And cut off the GM factory mounts and welded my own versions on the tracks:

[​IMG]

And now i have a wire operated shoebox bench seat:

[​IMG]

Next i have to make a mounting brackets on the floor...

farmer12 and dlandberg like this.
  28. Dude that's pretty awesome. Look forward to seeing how they turned out in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!
    I made brackets for the seat tracks and the tracks worked fine.The problem was the seat height,i just couldnt get it correct height because of the raised transmission tunnel.So it looks like i have to make a slight notch for the seat frame.And i have to make a new pair of those damn brackets too.Sometimes things just dont go like they do in the movies..