Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hemi block hugger headers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jbtine, Jan 8, 2015.

1. jbtine

jbtine

header1.jpg header2.jpg header3-1.jpg header5.jpg header6.jpg I put a 354 hemi in a 37 Dodge more door. Bought a set of Chinese POS headers. They would not bolt up, the holes in the header flange were off by at least 1/8 inch. Seems all the headers in the batch had the same problem. At least the vendor took them back. Another problem is the 4 square collector. The outside tubes went to the outside of the center tubes. The front tube on both sides hit the frame as low as the engine is set. Disregarding the bolt up problem I would have had to raise the engine at least 1/2". A friend building a blown 392 in a 32 Dodge coupe had a new set of headers from PAW. I borrowed one to check fit.....great. I tried to find another set of PAW headers with no luck. I decided to use the one I borrowed and build a jig to make my own set. I bought header flanges from Hot Heads. I found a place that has short radius mandrel bends 2" pipe. Up to 120°. Heartthrob Exhaust in Minnesota. The photos show progress on the jig. The V will be used to make the collector. The pattern for the collector is weird but fits the V. Unless someone knows who supplied PAWs headers I'll keep working on these headers. I'll them have them coated.

2. hot heads has block huggers

3. jbtine

jbtine

yeah I know they do and the center tubes go to the outside on the collector with end tubes going to the back. Opposite of the Chinese POS headers. That is an expensive gamble on clearance with the frame.

4. the only gamble is the shipping to return them if they don't fit.

5. Hedman made the PAW headers.

6. hedman makes hot heads headers. my over the frame headers came with a hedman tag

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. oj

oj

You talk expensive, try making a set of these

Attached Files:

8. jbtine

jbtine

I like the challenge of building my own set. I'll contact Hedman to see if they still make PAWS header if for no other reason than to save time having to build a set.

9. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

PAW went out of business 10 years ago.

10. Any idea what foundry was making their castings? Sure wish I could get ahold of some PAW stuff.

These headers were fun and kinda cheap .
    No where near the confinds of block huggers or inside the frame headers.
    Still a chalange to get them to twist.
    image.jpg

11. Sanderson's block huggers also have bolt holes that don't line up! After two attempts to resolve the issue with their so called rep at L'ville, with the same run around both times, I gave up on them.