Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Plymouth Business Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Nov 13, 2014.

1. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Not upset 64Krusty. I haven't even started on the coupe yet and there are 6 pages of opinions, and information. It's all good. Yours is very nice!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

oliver westlund likes this.
  2. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I would like to get started on my 31 this year. I have a lot of rust that needs replaced first. seeing the ones posted with fenders makes me not sure which way I want to build it now. I was planning on a high boy type with quarter elliptical springs up front. I have a 354 Hemi that I was planning on running , so now who knows!! Its good to see the others posted. I also have a 55 dodge truck that I plan on building as a custom, just dreaming now that its to cold to work out side.

3. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I didn't forget you MoparFinman. I will try and get the dimensions you need for the bottom of your quarters soon. I have been busy with other things too much lately.

4. Always love the Plymouth coupes, had a 33 coupe body when I was 16, (1961), should've kept it.

5. jbtine

jbtine

Love the oval window Plymouths. That oval window has always caught my attention. I have a 31 Plymouth coupe I want to get on but I have to finish a 37 Dodge more door. I have 2 questions. Is it possible to convert these coupes to rumble seat coupes? After market hinges are out there but waterproofing is another question. My next question is will a 426 street wedge fit and still run a full hood? I have a 426 on the engine stand ready to put together. I won't cut the hood nor run without it. If it won't fit I have 71 340 unmolested that I'll have to go thru.

6. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I see no reason you couldn't stick in a rumble seat. Actually considered it myself on this one. The 426 may be a little wide to use the side panels but not sure. I know the 291 hemi I have for this car is just narrow enough to fit behind the side panels. Either way... 426 or 340 would be a great engine for it.

7. As for the rumble seat alteration......make sure you do a good job or it will look funky. The rumble seat lids are shorter and will be quite a task to make from a trunk lid. Yes, the waterproofing will be an issue if not done correctly, which again is VERY difficult to get correct. The hinge point/location is very critical to get right.

8. jbtine

jbtine

The 291 is a bunch narrower than my 354. The 354 is about 3" wider than the high deck 426.

9. monc440

monc440

Here is the front pic of a 30 Chrysler that I was building with a 383 wedge. I think your RB 426 wedge is only an inch wider so I don't see a reason why you couldn't run the hood top and sides with exhaust manifolds you may need to put a small bulge in the sides.

Attached Files:

oliver westlund and biggeorge like this.
  10. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I haven't touched this since January. I haven't touched the car till this past weekend. I lost my enthusiasm for a while but it found its way back. I am headed a slightly different direction now but ready to get this build started. I decided to go genderless, and probably hoodless. The Hemi is still gonna power it but I am adding a 727 to drive it. I want to enjoy this car, and I want it comfy for my wife to drive as well. I ordered an adapter plate for the tranny today. Once it arrives we will mock up the engine and tranny for mounts. Once they are fabbed in the real work begins. Sorry I've been away so long.

11. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

:DSam, good to see you are back at it! Hemi Away, Gary:p

12. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

My adapter plate for the Hemi arrived yesterday. Going to fab up the engine and transmission mounts Sunday. So glad to finally get to start this project.

13. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Turned out we got to start today. It went better than expected. The Hemi is such a nice fit in this car. We attached the transmission using the adapter plate I got from Hotheads. A nice fit. Then set engine and tranny in the car. Using a 904 instead of the 727 was a good choice. The bellhousing is small enough there will be no reworking of the floor to make it work. Very pleased with what we achieved today.

Attached Files:

14. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

The rubber mount itself will be like those used on the Ford flatheads

15. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Yesterday was transmission mount day. I took the crossmember out keeping the frame brackets to use for the new member. We then took out the remaining side of the battery box, and removed the running board supports since it will be fenderless.

We used an A-body tranny mount bracket as our starting point and built out to the frame from there. First chance I get I'll pull it all out and properly weld it up but it looks decent.

16. 31chevymike

31chevymike

This is one cool looking coupe, knowing my Chevy is among the least owned coupes, just like yours!

17. ...I have this 32 DeSoto coupe, same body as the 32 Plymouth PB model,...this is what you call rusty rear quarters, but I do have another pair of rear quarters for this car, along with fenders, hood, etc.,...no grille (un-obtanium) or decklid. This project is for sale if anyone's looking for such.
    Good luck with your 31 it looks to be above average condition....you're doing a nice job on it.

32 desoto 7-15 006.jpg 32 desoto 7-15 007.jpg 32 desoto 7-15 015.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  18. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Rusty1 that car is a little ruff but plenty fixable if a guy has the ambition, and the foresight to get it all done.

19. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I did some additional welding on the tranny mount yesterday, but spent most of the day at work. I will be glad to see the construction season come to an end here so I can jump in with both feet on this car.

20. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Finished welding up the transmission mount finally. I think we are going with a Vega steering box. This means we will set it up for cross steering. I guess this is our next big step. Tomorrow I'll try to get some pics of the mount.

21. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Rusty 1, that desoto looks like a rumble seat car.

22. It was definitely a rumble seat car. It still has the rubber snubbers on the upper corners where the lid meets the body, the hinge pivots and the latch hole.

23. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Not much work going on today but I went out and took a couple photos of our transmission mount progress. After removing the old member I cut the rivets on the frame channel supports for it planning on moving them for use with the mount we built.

It worked great. We made 2 plates to attach the new member and built from there with 1 inch square tubing. I used an A body tranny mount I had here and we fabbed everything for its use. It may not be the prettiest but it's strong and functional. The entire member comes out with removal of 4 fine thread bolts and the tranny bushing bolt.

Attached Files:

24. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

So much for not getting any work done today. Moved on to to sheet metal work. The bottoms of both doors are bad up to 4 inches. I acquired a set of old Sedan doors in excellent shape. They were for sale quite awhile but didn't sell. I picked them and some other parts for a song. Anybody need wooden wheels, or door latch assemblies or a full front doors set of 8 hinges for a 1922/23 Essex sedan I have a real deal for you. The pair of doors however were turned into bottoms for my doors. The cutting and welding begins.

Attached Files:

25. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the sturdy trans crossmember. I hope to get to mine before it snows.

26. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

The A body center made the job quite simple

27. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Thought I would post some progress. Seems like I have been welding forever, with a long way to go. A little more welding the doors will be complete. I even put new inner bottoms on them. Started on the cowel and the first patch is in and started welding.

Attached Files:

28. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

This is the next piece to tackle. The latch assembly, and window regulator were froze up at some point and the previous owner cut the door apart. I managed to get both free and working. Now to put it back together.

Attached Files:

29. i have a bunch of parts both stock and after market for these cars. i recently crashed mine and removed alot that i wont need in the rebuild. im going to list it all soon on ebay. i would rather see a fellow hamber get first shot. pm me if you are looking for things.

30. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

racer-x , sent you a PM.