Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TECH Question: Disc Brake Upgrade on 57-60 F100's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by amadeus, Jan 7, 2015.

1. amadeus

amadeus

Hello Fellas,
    Want to upgrade the front brake system on my 60 F100
    Here is the details; 1960 F100 STOCK front Drums and suspension (straight axle) . Bought a power brake booster and M/Cyl from CPP for Disc front and Drum back. Before anyone coments on why not call the manufacturers (which I already did and they were no help at all).

Truck is stock looking and would like to retain the stock look (mildy modified) "Traditional Styled" mods for modern driving.

My Question is:
    Will I be able to use the STOCK Wheels or do I need aftermarket wheels?? (Has anyone used the CPP,Speedway,SSBC,kits etc).
    Im using FACTORY STOCK 1960 F100 Wheels and want to retain the "Stock" look for now.
    I would like to hear from HAMBER's that have done this to their fridges,what kit you used and how easy/what you did to modify,were you able to retain the stock wheels, etc.

Thank You for your responses and feedback !

2. You will need disc brake wheels or you will need to space your wheels out to clear the calipers.

What you want is a kit that uses GM metric disc brakes, the big discs that are popular with the street rodders will require larger diameter wheels and the GM metrics are plentiful and the parts are cheap.

3. amadeus

amadeus

Thank You for your response P n'B! (I will make note on that -GM Metric Calipers)
    Anyone else?
    Brands used?
    Issues?
    Pics?

4. Stock 15" Ford truck wheels should easily clear a GM metric caliper. But you may run into trouble with the center hole and the hub on the rotor.

5. amadeus

amadeus

I see what you mean, most of the kits supposedly use a brake rotor from a later f150. I might just take a wheel to the local auto zone and check hub center fit.
    Thank you for that heads up!

6. fordor41

fordor41

I used speedway dics kit on my '41. Uses GM metric calipers and Mopar rotors. I wanted to use Ford type (10 1/8") caps so had to find 15" ford wheels for that size cap but a large Mopar center hole. Found 80's Bronco II with 4WD fits Mopar disc and takes Ford style caps . Unfortunately they are no longer made.
    Haven't tried any custom wheel makers as have heard so many horror stories about quality. Also Speedway kits may increase the wheel offset. Stock Ford wheels can be found with different offsets

7. 55willys

55willys

I am working on some disc brake designs that will work with stock wheels. PM or call me if you are interested.
    Jim Ford

8. hubcap

hubcap
    from phx

I used the Speedway kit on my 60, stock 6/4sd, and a mustang dual non power m/c. Best upgrade I made. No, the stock wheels no longer fit as P n B said. Different calipers? Maybe but I wanted to keep the 5X5 1/2 bolt pattern so I went with later F100 wheels. Not that bad looking with early 60s Merc hubcaps. Pics in my profile.