Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 30 Ford coupe question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by $67Camaro, Jan 7, 2015.

1. $67Camaro

$67Camaro

I have a 30 ford coupe just replaced the subframe, using original frame, boxed and will be lowering it, Question do I still have to put the wooden pieces back in between the frame and subframe? what do they use other than wood? do I have to put anything?

2. Fenders

Fenders

Yes, the wood pieces sit on the frame and go up into the subframe, and the body bolts go through them. Coat them with a good wood preservative before installing.

3. mike bowling

mike bowling

The original blocks are different sizes (thickness wise most importantly) and I believe serve to isolate a "metal on metal" situation between frame and subframe, and also fill in the void created by the concave underside of the outside subrail.The body mounting bolts go through the subframe, blocks,and frame(the blocks also keep the bolts from squashing the subframe).There are also rubber pads that go on top of the blocks,and material that goes under the subframe( and fenders and splash aprons if you use them).THEN there are a series of round shims that are used to move the cowel around to get the doors to fit right. So you do need something in that area, whether you use the original blocking or not is your call.I have used 3/4 " plywood with a 1/4' rubber pad on top, and then shimmed from that.The adjusting shims just look like big rubber washers.Getting every thing lined up( beltlines and door latches) will keep you out of trouble for quite some time- biggest pain in the ass of the whole reconstruction!Sorry to be long winded with this; this is the abridged version! I'll watch your thread to see how you make out. Good luck! I see someone else got in while I was ranting on and on

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

well you can call it ranting on but you said what there was to say. yes there is a need for the wood and the shims. doesn't have to be a wood kit you can make your own but you do need it for alignment.

5. tim b.

tim b.

The other thing the blocks do is set the cowl height in relation to the radiator and shell. Important if you are planning on using any type (or part) of hood.