Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods question for the header makers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fxstc127ci, Jan 6, 2015.

1. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

I need to fabricate headers for my av8. I would like to make them out of mandrel bent stainless. What size tube should I buy and who is the best supplier for flanges and bends?

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

spdexhaust.com Stainless is not a good choice if you have never built one before

deto likes this.
  4. You may have a hard time finding Stainless Flathead Flanges.
    As for Diameter, most of the Flathead stuff we make is 1 3/4".
    You can buy our mandrel bends at Summit, JEG's Etc.

5. Dave 39

Dave 39

Try Columbia River Mandrel Bending, I've had good luck with them for this sort of thing. Dave

6. Cone engineering and they are an alliance vender.

Stainless works used to have a bin full of seconds fuckups and drops to pick out of & on ebay.

Summit probably has what you need, what style are you building?
    3 180 bends will get you a set of lakes style headers then a couple pipes and you can make cones.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Burns Stainless is a good source for bends.

8. deto

deto

Burns if you can afford it. I'm no master header builder, but I know a mandrel bend that is truly concentric makes a difference when fitting everything up for stainless tubes on headers.

If you can find a drawing for flanges I can laser cut them for you...

9. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

Thank's everyone for the quick response. I do bend exhaust some stainless mostly aluminized tubing. I have bent pieces and have tig welded them together so I have a little experience. I have not yet made a set of headers....but would like to give it a try. I figure it will fine tune my stainless tig welding skills be the time I'm done. As far what type of header I have not yet decided. Flanges I have a buddy that has a cnc machine and has offered to make some for me. deto if my buddy falls through with making flanges I will pm you about cutting a set out for me. I will post as I build or fuck up the headers....stay tuned.

10. 3spd

3spd

If you need a file let me know - send me a gasket and I'll make you a drawing and not trying to undercut deto but I can get a quote on having them cut out as well.