Register now to get rid of these ads!

When is fake ok ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slag Kustom, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

they all are fake. the ok fakes are what have been acepted even though they are still fake.

2. Real fast car that looks like a stocker = sleeper = Cool fake.

Dog slow car that looks like a gasser = poser = Uncool fake

But…if you think you're cool with your uncool fake, you're faking yourself out and that's cool. For you.

Not me.

Nuff said.

chili

3. Of course along with fake cars of the past there's the fake living the "lifestyle" of the past.

Worse than fake bullet holes? The discovery by many intrepid streetrodders that they come in several sizes and shapes. "Dang! Now I'l have to get the full set!" Which then brings joy.

Reminds me of the fake dirt they sell to the 4x4 brigade.

Those fake Crower injector stacks which covered a carb and promoted by Garlits in the 80's were woeful...as are fake bugcatcher aircleaners. Especially when mounted atop a 10" drainpipe so it sticks out the hood.

Fake things like non hooked up vintage gauges amount to decorator items and that's lame.

Fake Olds valve covers is just a corny attempt at deception and is also lame. How could a person sleep at night?

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Chip's buying up awards and trophies galore with his fake hemi valve covers on a fake Coast-to-Coast car lately...and he's your Ultimate Hero, and Lord of all things GREAT, so fake MUST be cool!!!

:rolleyes:

There should be NOTHING fake at all on a HOT ROD, but what do I know?

The vast majority of people these days are cake decorators plying their trade on cars instead of cakes...cute little shift knobs smiling at you, little chrome iron crosses and skulls placed just so, pointy trinkets, fake or disguised parts everywhere, with doo-dads and gee-gaws galore!

Ironically, seeing all that crap on a HOT ROD brings to mind a quote from SAM Foose, who once said that "95% of people have bad taste!". He went on to talk of how evryone wants HOOKERS instead of beautiful women!

(You take a gal, cover her in make-up and jewels, big hair, flashy dress and high heels...and she looks like a hooker. Let a woman wear minimal make-up, normal clothes and such, and her beauty will speak for itself...timeless, and classy.)

Obviously the apple in that family fell a LONG way from the tree!!

On a custom, you may have a little more room to dabble in the fake shit...but even then, a truly classy craftsman would avoid it.

If it's on the car, it should serve a FUNCTIONAL purpose.

If you wanna block off half your carbs, just run a single two barrel or something to begin with. If you can't deal with cantankerous mechanical fuelie motors, run a TPI. If you gotta run disc brakes, don't hide 'em under fake drums. If you can't stand the fact that you had a Failure Of Creativity in selecting the engine for your rod, then change the whole ENGINE, not just the valve covers!

If you're so ashamed of what you have that you feel the need to hide or disguise it...then get rid of it and put something FUNCTIONAL in it's place that suits you.

It really is THAT fucking simple!

5. Gator

Gator

I won't even begin to judge what is cool or not, cause I think that's a judgement call. But fake is always FAKE, PERIOD.

That's as simply as I can put it.

6. Missing Link

Missing Link

This thread is fake

...and gay

7. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

"Hey if I can touch them, they're real":p

8. This sounds almost like a good old street race type challenge. "IF" i'm reading it right my junk should be up to the challenge in about a month or so from now. I wanted to get it running with a junk motor instead of pushing it around my shop while finishing the good one. "IF" i read this wrong, disregard

9. Fat Hack, you are so very right!!! Like a woman a rod or custom should let its true beauty shine through. Less is indeed more.

BTW, I have been with my girl for 8 months now and I have yet to see her in make-up. And for that I love her even more. She is who she is and she's real.

10. I realize they're all fakes. I don't see the difference in good-bad with blower-Hilborn, Just seems in this arena, they both be accepted, or both NOT. Know what i mean? They're "BOTH" 2 famed legendary induction systems of a bad ass SOB. So, if you don't like one as a fake, you should not like the other either as a fake. Does this make as much sense in print as in my head?.

11. Who in the fuck, in the whole wide world, would be impressed by......
    1) A blower case that don't blow?
    2) A disc brake hidden under a drum?
    3) An alternator that looks like a vintage generator?
    4) A multi-carb setup, with some of them blocked off?
    5) A modern battery in a vintage-looking(repro at that) case?
    6) A sbc with simulated hemi valve covers?
    7) A 'duece' license plate on a plastic replika?
    8) A moon tank on the front, but gas comes from a tank in the rear?
    9) Electronic ignition hidden in a vintage looking distributor or magneto case?
    10) A chick with so much hair spray and makeup, she plans ahead of time when you (ain't gonna') get laid 'cause her self image is that important to her?

To answer the Q, fake is okay, I guess, if you are a faker. It all boils down to if the person worries about what other people think about his ride, as opposed to one that builds it to his specifications, to do what he wants it to do. Personally, I built it like I wanted it. I also like to brag about that. If it had something fake, then when I braggd, I'd be LYING. It don't have any lable, other than "My Truck". Yes, the little radiator temp gauge on the shell actually senses the coolant temp, and the Wood Wheel Spokes are real Oak, I made them myself, thank you very much.

1  4-04 disc brake.JPG

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

wait a minute i just bought a 4 door austin to do a gasser out of , and about 90 percent of the gassers in australia are 4 doors..willys sedans???????:cool:

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Fake shrunken heads suck.

14. flynstone

flynstone

i think a good fake is kinda cool,like the cad valve covers on a sbc you stand around and listen to all the posers who say wow a cad motor or the fiberglass car with big rust holes once again listen to the talk, i love to hear the experts look at my fiberglass car with nice fake rust and holes and tell there freinds this ones real...wrong,,but then again it needs to be good hollywood fake not the cheap stuff , i also have real steel cars but i have a lot of fun with my glass............

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I don't know where everyone gets off thinking that lake pipes and dummy spot lights are gay unless they're hooked up. Talk to most any old timer into cars back then, they were around and rarely hooked up. Real spot lights were illegal in many cases, hence the creation of dummys. In this case, being fake may be correct and traditional.

16. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Fake tits. Thats it.

Why cheat yourself with fake stuff???

It says a lot about a person when fake stuff is on a car.

17. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

wounder were this gold mine is????????????????????????????????//

18. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

somebody please take away his pencils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Note to self....Don't put any fake rust on your glass body.;)

20. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

to each his own...who gives a shit any way..if you dont like fake shit dont run it period..besides anything (MODIFIED) would make any thing not (REAL) any more..sooooo's ALL are shit must be FAKE!!

21. Uh, maybe it's more like run what ya brung and hope ya brought enough, in that case. "IF" I'm getting what you mean.

wink, nudge, nudge

22. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

How about fake antirodding...the venerable traditional sleeper...grandmaw's fourdoor with rusty valvecovers and stock aircleaner and oddly large rear tires...that's a real long time tradition, the Q-ship...anybody here building a fake SLOW car???

One dividing point in the fakery: I think one rodding basic is discarding what's neede, adding only what's better for the purpose. Adding the functionless or dysfunctional violates basic norms probably even more than adding "wrong" stuff that actually does the job...

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

How about fake antirodding...the venerable traditional sleeper...grandmaw's fourdoor with rusty valvecovers and stock aircleaner and oddly large rear tires...that's a real long time tradition, the Q-ship...anybody here building a fake SLOW car???

One dividing point in the fakery: I think one rodding basic is discarding what's not needed, adding only what's better for the purpose. Adding the functionless or dysfunctional violates basic norms probably even more than adding "wrong" stuff that actually does the job...

24. sojerscraper

sojerscraper

how bout this one:

the guy who purposely shot his A sedan with a revolver so he could have "real" fake bulletholes. he told me about how he strategically placed targets on it so they would "look right". :rolleyes: knowing that this dude owned & shot guns kinda made me keep my mouth shot about the fact that i thought that was cheesey as hell.

another fake i dislike is body swaps. now of course theres plenty of T's on later rails & i think thats fine, but I'm talking a late 40's early 50s body on an 80s chassis. sorry dude, if your car is riding on an 80s chassis with an 80's motor, suspension, brakes & all that - its just a fancy looking 80's car to me.

25. atch

atch

maybe some of the british folks on here will correct me, but i think that two door english fords were anglias; four door english fords were prefects; and panel truck english fords were thames...

26. atch

atch

the S-10's and Thunderbirds with fake noses/tails are tied with StreetBeasts at the top of my list of undesirables...

27. Mutt

Mutt

A post so good it was posted twice....:D

As far as the second part of your post - those that have added functionless or disfunctional parts are called customs.

Duck.:eek:

Mutt

28. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

I love fake cars, in high school I had a 66 Comet that underwent a transplant with a police intercepter 390, still used the three speed it came with, you know the kind had those plastic seat covers with the little dimples. The only tell tale sign was a set of Kelly springfields in the rear that were a little wider than original. Man that car was fun.

As I think about this thread I come to the conclusion that we all are a little fake, I mean it's not 1959 0r 65, it's 2006 and most of us beliving we are building traditional cars are building fakes from the get go. Even that pales however with the fake choppers now days I mean come on a fake Panhead or Knuckle, they are all the rage nowdays. OK I'll go back to sleep now, thanks.

29. OneTireFire

OneTireFire

I couldn't agree more! Especially when its baggy and doesn't fit the hose tight, that's the best.

30. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

think about it,you change your stock paint job.that means your new ones a fake !who's actualy to say whats fake.fakes in the eye of the beholder.who cares lets go build f-in cars!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.