Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 60.6" Rear end on a 54' 210

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sylfkcalb, Jan 6, 2015.

1. sylfkcalb

sylfkcalb

Just wanted to ask if anyone has installed a something similar to these dimensions. Getting the rear off a 99' Firebird with disc breaks (research says rear track width is 60.6" the 210 measure 58.75"), it should only be about 15/16" wider on each side, although I have since removed the torque tube rear end and can't accurately measure. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Should be OK, you can always get wheels with custom offset if you have some interference problems.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think you will run into a problem unless you want reverse rims or big tires.

4. oldolds

oldolds

A 54 Chevy is a tight fit for wheels. You need to measure Wheel Mounting Surface. Advertised track width varis brcause of wheel back spacing. Custom made wheels can quickly offset the price of a free rear. I would guess that rear will be too wide. It is only a guess, never tried that rear. 70 Chevelles fit them nice, no disc brakes though.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.

5. Track width is center of tire. The 99 FB has a high positive offset wheel soooooo that means the WMS is actually wider than the track width.

6. sylfkcalb

sylfkcalb

After getting the rear end in the garage it's going to be a questionable fit. I wanted to run the stock rims, although the calipers do not allow proper fitment. I am ok with trying to find some wheels that will have an offset that might work. I guess I'm gonna have to throw it under the car and see what it looks like.... Thanks for the help, I will update once I get there.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Track width is meaningless.

You need to know the exact measurement wheel-mounting-surface to wheel-mounting-surface.

That will need to be 58" - 60-1/2". The wider end of that will not allow you to run anything wider than a 6.70-15, on a 15" x 6" wheel.

8. Odds are it's too wide. The newest Camaro rear you want in there is second-gen. Which is damn near a bolt on, I did one a few years ago.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I had pieces to build the Quick Change for my '37 that would come out at 64" wide, wms-wms. I found the wheels from a Camaro about the same year as your FB axle would fit. I can measure the actual B.S. if you need me to. They are 16 X 8.5 - 4 3/4 B.C. Found an Impala wheel like that, too. Slightly different but same dimensions.

10. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

In our 53 I used a 68 nova 8.2 10 bolt couldn't have fit any better. Barely under 60 inch , the 2nd gen 8.5 10 bolt camaros are barely wider than 60 . Both are good choices. Staying around 60 inches would keep you within the realm of common back spacing on the ol rims. Good luck!
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  11. aaggie

aaggie

Some guys get hung up on having disk brakes all around and there is nothing wrong with that, however don't let that be a deciding factor. A good drum brake of the correct size for the weight of the car will stop it just as quickly. If you find the proper size axle that fits with minimal fabrication then go for it.

flux capacitor likes this.
  12. sylfkcalb

sylfkcalb

So after measuring WSM to WSM I got 65 3/16"..... Clearly too wide the 210 measures 60" on the money... Any guys with a 1/2 ton truck need a rear??? $150 takes it, plus I already cut off all the OEM brackets 75% done!!! I will most definitely be heeding the advise given! It is very much appreciated, this is my first build and it's nice to have a source to ask questions like this!

13. sylfkcalb

sylfkcalb

....My apologies WMS to WMS...for the sticklers in the crowd.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do know that you can edit your posts, right?

15. Not sure exactly what you're looking for as far as the rear end goes but 55-57 Chevy is damn near direct bolt in. 57-58 Olds would work and, 57 Pontiac also. I'm sure some other guys can help with some newer rear ends about 60" wide too. There should be quite a few options for ya.

Dustin

16. Put an S-10 4x4 rear in friend's '54. Can't remember the dimensions; but it fit well width-wise.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's 58".

18. sylfkcalb

sylfkcalb

I found a 10 bolt from a 66' chevy 2 wagon that fits like a dream 58.5" WMS to WMS, has the gears I was looking for. Got a good deal on it, gotta love craigslist. Going to have it all stripped this weekend and get ready to mock up a 4 link. I will start a build thread soon and keep the pictures posted.

19. Narrowed mine to 57 inches. Fit perfect.