Register now to get rid of these ads!

New to site..

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by j0pitta, Jan 4, 2015.

1. j0pitta

j0pitta

Recently bought 23 T-bucket, 1967 327 offenhauser 360 tunnel ram. 2 carter 500 afb carbs. Car sat for a few years with not a lot of info to pass on when car was purchased. Having issues with car idling...carbs rebuilt by myself. Has solid lifters went to adjust rocker arms tonight and noticed at TDC the rotor pointer on the distributor was pointing at #6 cylinder. Tells me distributor is 180 out. However, have had the motor running decent enough to drive the T-bucket around the block a couple times. Never idled all that great for long periods of time. All my past experience tells me rotor pointer should be pointed at #1 cylinder at TDC. Am I missing something with the 67 327 as far as TDC?????

2. Its customary to post a little about yourself before diving into asking questions. Just familiarizes yourself to the regulars. Thought I'd chime in before you get barked at.:)

3. Yes^^^^^ That said, with the rotor at #6, is that where number one plug wire is plugged in? Hard to imagine it running at all with it pointing at #6 with the wire for #1 in its customary spot. Tim

4. is it at TDC of the compression stroke?

5. j0pitta

j0pitta

Love the website, have researched a lot of info here.. Truly feel the expertise is bar none...I've been around Hot Rods all my life and have been searching for the good deal for many years. Finally found the ultimate ride for me. My most respectable rides were a 73 Camaro that was more show with a lot of go and a 81 Malibu with a shit load of go with a little show.

6. j0pitta

j0pitta

Yes, #1 is plugged in where pointer is at #6

7. j0pitta

j0pitta

yes, had finger plugging #1 cylinder, compression blew finger out of hole.

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Only if you want to, as per Ryan:
    "4. While we don't require "introductions," some members do appreciate them so it might be a good idea for you to do one here. Just introduce yourself and let folks know what you are all about."

loudbang likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

the timing pointer will point to TDC at both #1 and #6. Because the crankshaft turns two revolutions every time the distributor turns one revolution. Because it's a 4 stroke/cycle engine.

10. JimSibley

JimSibley

If the number 1 wire is plugged in at the number 6 spot then the distributor is set on tdc, non compression stroke. To cure this the previous owner simply moved the wires instead of pulling the distributor. The car will run like this. If it were me I would fix it, and then move onto the idle problem which sounds like carburetor or vacuum to me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Well, guess I'll say, welcome from Minnesota.

12. I did a little research and found in the 1967 327 CI SBC, #1 at TDC and the rotor should actually be pointed at the #2 piston, not #1 as in the 350. The rotor pointed at #2 piston, but #1 plug wire on the distributor, then it's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Looks like 1968 was the transition year for all SBC to have the regular #1 rotor pointed at the #1 piston.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

I thought his introduction was very good
    How much more do you want to know? shoe size? :)

14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

You can point the rotor anywhere you want as long as the wire's match, I always pointed mine to the front in all the engines I built for my own standard in any engine

That way in a quick glance you know if it is out of time, very simple to see if it is right

G Don

loudbang likes this.
  15. His first post was just asking questions..I remember a time when a FNG got thrashed for not doing a proper introduction to the regulars..it was relentless, left a lot of us lurkers skiddish.

16. while it would be nice to have one , introduction or not doesn't make any difference to me. at one time it was demanded by the members....now not so much

FYI.....i never posted an introduction

17. You got that right,I posted a proper introduction as was required when I joined and thought it was pretty good but not knowing anything about computers I was using my daughters computer and the caps lock was on.

I was dragged across the coals for yelling,Interestingly enough I only got two positive comments,the first came from my friend Randy (Deuce Roadster) who talked me into joining and the sweetheart of the Hamb,Denise (Hotrodladycruser).

I almost gave up,thin skin I guess but I toughened up and plowed on through.

A few years ago I got a PM from a fellow member that said he was one of the guys that gave me such a hard time and was glad I didn't throw in the towel.

The introduction is not necessary now but I wish they would list their city & state. HRP

18. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Gents First off Hello to the new person. Glad to have you aboard!! A lot of people believe its all about rules and not enjoying other people. That said glad you have a T bucket, that is one of my favorite cars I ever built. The Gents on the HAMB are the best, smartest, and if they dont know a answer you do not need to know. Get out your Speedway Catalog and order a new HEI distributer . I put one in my sbc and it is the best 100.00 I ever spent. And all this talk about 67 327, I gotta get out my books and do some research , I Just looked it up 1968 was the last year for 327 Don IN.

19. Glad you stuck around too Danny. I'm with you on the city and state thing. Once in a while you see a newbie post about basics and I was thinkin' , man if you live close, I could just come over and help.

20. 117harv

117harv

It would seem that primeisnotacrime never did an intro, however I did two?? Oh yeah, welcome OP.

21. Yes, I slid under the radar when the air was calm, and waited for the hellfire to die down.:) It's not important now as it was then to introduce yourself, different format, different set of rules. I lurked for a few years before I even joined so that I didn't set off red flags and have the men in black come looking for me!!o_O:D:D

117harv likes this.
  22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

WELCOME TO ONE OF LAKE WOEBEGONES MANY TRIBUTARIES!

23. blazedogs

blazedogs

I guess I'm kind of a newbie too. I mentioned a little about myself at the beginning but wasn,t aware that it was that important. I don't mind telling about myself, but I can if need -be .Just a old fart 71 yrs old that still loves hotrods. It helps me relive the good old days,much different than now-a-days .Days when we cruised looking for girls and sat on our fenders in our little town talking car stuff for hours. Gene in Minnesota

24. DND is right it doesn't matter which terminal the rotor points to for #1 but i always set it to point straight forward

25. Yep, DND is right. As long as the firing order is correct and #1 piston is at TDC, and the rotor is pointing at the #1 spark plug wire/terminal all is good. What I was referring to in post #12 was what Chevy had in their shop manual.

26. j0pitta

j0pitta

Thanks everyone, so traditionally experience tells me TDC drop the (points) distributor in with pointer at #1 (left bank 1st cylinder) then with plug wire also at pointed at #1. Also seen on research that pointer may be at #2 cylinder on 67 327 as mentioned by "Prime". Guess that's why I'm asking again.

27. desotot

desotot

Howdy and welcome, the bite is worse than the bark around here but since this is a cyber site nobody gets close enough to bite anyways, where did you say you are from?

28. j0pitta

j0pitta

Southern Florida

29. Welcome to the HAMB.

30. Pete

Pete

Jesus Christ ... There's always a few on here who think it's up to them to police this site! Get a fucking life!

With obvious attendance down on the HAMB you think folks would be a little nicer to newbies, maybe you could learn a thing or two..?

The HAMB has drastically changed, it ain't the same as it was "back in the day".... Deal with it.

Pete

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

loudbang likes this.