Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A door latch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mjcat, Jan 4, 2015.

1. mjcat

mjcat

So I bought new door latches for my model A coupe, I figured out how to get the latch out. My issue is putting the new latch in. The new little spring for the latch mechanism is hanging out beyond the side of the whole assembly. Due to this is can not slide latch all the way in to the door. Are there any tricks to positioning the spring while sliding mechanism into door? Anyone come across the same issue? I'll post a pic of my new latch

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. mjcat

mjcat

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420396711.546046.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420396731.897019.jpg
    Here is the latch. As you can see the spring is laying over the edge of the whole latch assembly. I can't hold the spring back far enough as I try to put latch in door. Any help would be great

3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I know this not what you are asking , OEM springs are available if broken for your Original latch , & if the only reason you are changing the Original is because it was grooved ,you can weld up ,file back to size ,.
    RePo never fits ( Vintique brand )like OEM -FoMoCo parts .

4. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

The spring looks out of position, it looks like it should be inside the flange it's currently sitting on.

5. Are you talking about the piece of the spring you have your thumb on? Is it hanging on the edge of the door? If so, can it be trimmed? I know that will raise some eyebrows but not sure what else to do. If its the other part, the horse shoe shaped loop, I'd would hope it could be turned, twisted or something. Hard to tell with being there.

6. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i rebuilt my latches and i think i had the same problem. i used a little screw driver and a lot of cussing from what i recall. kinda had to get it all ready to go in then push that thing in till its past the door edge then it holds itself on.

7. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

thats the way i did mine as well, they can be a bit of a pain

hipster likes this.
  8. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

where did you get your latches from ? I was only able to get the passanger side, eveyone told me the other side was on back order and I had to buy a kit and rebuild it bit would like to replace it with a new one as well.

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

I believe the spring in the picture is in the right position- I've had to grind a little off the of the "flipper" that the spring puts tension on to get it into the door pocket(probably because they're aftermarket and just plain don't fit).Both ends can be modified slightly- the other end is just pushed in by a rod(connected to the inside handle) that has it's own tensioning spring. Model A doors are always a challenge.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  10. A Bit? LOL more like a total pain in the arse. But through persistance I finally got them in. They do work good once you get them the heck in there.
    -Pat

11. 5window

5window

Yep, that's what I did ,too. The last one I had to replace, no-one had one in stock that I could find, so I bought a refurbished original from Bill's Model A Acres (great place near me). Wow-is there a difference between Henry's original and the repros. I had to see them side by side, but if you can rebuild your original that would be best.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I put the latch in and then pull the outside back enough to take a small screw driver and push the spring inside the edge of the door.. Then push the latch flat and install screws.. Really not that difficult...

55willys likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

Just watch the paint

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Yup, it's funny how everything gets easier once you know how to do it! How many outside door handles have you seen destroyed (doors too) because people don't know how to get them on and off?Turn and pull? Nope- hammer and screwdriver- I'll get this F &*(*&&^% thing off!!! Keep Smiling, Springs coming!

15. mjcat

mjcat

Thanks for all the replies. I have tried holding the spring back with a screwdriver and had success but then the door wouldn't latch fully closed. I need to get the latch in a little deeper. I'm gonna have to play with it a little more.

16. Mike V. Florida

Mike V. Florida
    from Florida

I'm a little late to the party but this may help; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-to-rebuild-model-a-door-latches.660618/

17. 55willys

55willys

That is how I do it. Works great.