Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '50 Buick special build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by PraiseDLowrd, Jul 20, 2014.

1. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Torque tube seal leak allows trans fluid into the rear end which will f...up a rear end. Replace the TT seal and that should take care of the leak. Glad you kept the "eight in a row". You knew it wasn't going to be ALL peaches and cream on this fine ride. I found a 4dr '50 last month and I got excited seeing it was a 3 onda tree. I haven't bought it yet. The std. trans straight 8 Buicks are known for there speed. The dynaslows are known for there smoothness.

2. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

When I tested the air ride I noticed the front bags were rubbing the lower control arms so I notched and reinforced them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ready for some smooth sailin now

junkbrick and jocktherock like this.
  3. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Eight in a row makes em go! I think poppin hood and seeing the original straight 8 is cooler than any v8 swap out there. I wish this was a 3 onthe tree but it was hard enough finding a 2 door fastback in this condition so I can't complain.

LONG likes this.
  4. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

By what I have seen while looking for '50 Buick's is that most are Dynaflows. I will have another one some day. Like you said, '50 sedanettes are few and far between. Here is a pic of the std. trans 4dr Super that I found.

Attached Files:

• 030.JPG
      030.JPG
      File size:
      215.3 KB
      Views:
  5. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Not a bad start. Even the 4dr supers look really good which can be said about alot of other 4dr cars.

6. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

7. jocktherock

jocktherock
    from Sweden

There she is,god job done Praise.... Hmmmmmm.... cremewhite firewall?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

ausbuick and PraiseDLowrd like this.
  8. EBW

EBW

Damn..... Sexy Beast right there !! Nice stance.

PraiseDLowrd likes this.
  9. Love the color of that thing. Nice tire/wheel selection....and what else can be said about the stance ?? Front grille teeth look wickedly hungry.

PraiseDLowrd likes this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

Looks stock til ya air it out, I like that a lot.:cool:

PraiseDLowrd likes this.
  11. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Thanks fellas, she sits just perfect for me. Any lower in the front and she'd be laying oil pan and transmission before frame! The rear has a slight rake to it but I don't mind it enough to redesign the bag mounts.

The carb has been flooding the motor otherwise she's ready to cruise. I dug a little further and dropped the tank which was pretty rusted. Bob's Automobilia hooked me up with an new tank, rebuilt fuel pump, and a few other odds and ends. I cleaned out the lines and got ready to tear down the carb when I discovered my exhaust manifold has developed a crack. The new crack has shown up around what I assume is a previous attempt to braze another crack. Also the heat riser valve is STUCK.
    [​IMG]

So naturally I started looking around the Internet and saw a couple of these old edmunds intakes for straight 8's. I've seen many of the early 40's split setups on here with the factory manifolds but they say the motor mount has to be modified. I figure if I can get my hands on the small edmunds intake and a couple carbs I could build my own header/exhaust. Shit, here I go complicating things again.....

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  12. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

These exhaust manifolds are known to crack. I sold a intake, exhaust and carb off of my '50 RM parts car a couple of months ago. I passed on the 4der super with the std tranny. I might buy it if I find a 2dr sedanette with a dynaslow and I would do the swap. I've read where the std transmission make that straight eight open up and breath.

13. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

That's not a bad idea... I'd rather have the std trans too. I bet it would be a lot more fun to drive. I wonder how difficult the swap would be?

14. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I wouldn't figure to difficult since it has everything to make it a std ie. pedals,trans,shifter, column....

15. 72sst

72sst

I love the toothy Buicks!

16. old1946truck

old1946truck

I love the glow from 50's era gauge clusters it's one of the coolest things about these old cars.

17. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Spedometer still in dash? if so, what are you asking for it? I'd be more than intrested if the price is right.

18. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

looking for a Spedometer. Does yours still have it? I know its been a while

19. EBW

EBW

Heat risers are NOTORIOUSLY stuck. Hopefully yours is in the Open position like most. My Dad and I found a junk yard in Fresno and we went through all of the Buick Manifolds. 1 was not stuck and we bought it for his 52.

20. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

this is a great thread... congrats on the build, gotta love those torpedo backs... keep posting

21. LONG

LONG

not easy, you'd have to swap crank also.

yes I have it.

22. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Great build thread, beautiful car!

23. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Thank you!

In that case an open driveline/700r4 would be the way I'd go. By the way, how much do you want for that windshield wiper motor?

24. 3spd

3spd

I'm not convinced this is true. I read that you can put a dynaflow from a straight 8 behind a V8 so then it follows you can put a manual behind a straight eight without swapping cranks. The only difference between the manual and the dynaflow cranks behind a V8 are the std uses a bushing in the end of the crank.

25. PraiseDLowrd

PraiseDLowrd
    from Texas

Well I rebuilt the carb and cleaned out a ton of rust and debris. I'm sure that's why it was flooding. I also replaced the gas tank, cleaned out all the lines, rebuilt the sending unit, and put on a rebuilt fuel pump.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I'm still working out some electrical issues and I need to replace the pinion seal(should be fun) before we can hit the road. I had to move her off the lift to help a friend with his car. I took this opportunity to clean her up and brush those teeth!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soakin up a little sun
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  26. SwedishEinar

SwedishEinar

I just replaced my pinion seal and rear seal on the tranny.
    Had about 2 gallons of tranny fluid in the rear end!

27. SwedishEinar

SwedishEinar

I figured I'd might aswell clean and paint the rear end.
    [​IMG]

I had to drill out the 2 rivets in the front of the Torque Tube to separate it from the rear end.

jocktherock likes this.
  28. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

There are other options - "Hells gates hot rods" offers exhaust flanges and intake flanges along with kits . This is what I did to my 248 in my 1941 buick special because of the exhaust manifolds cracking . oct 5 2014 129 (640x480).jpg oct 5 2014 123.jpg

29. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

god i love this car. great build it couldnt sit any better

30. nh-lead-man

nh-lead-man

Nice project wana see what it looks like chopped! Driver is Baron Von Bernier from Tampa FLA. checking out the scene!! Photo taken at Baron Von Vasnics No name No fame Customs!!

Attached Files:

• 061.JPG
      061.JPG
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views: