Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Why Cant I Get This Door Hing Pin Out?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I'm trying to insatall a sideview mirror on my 31 coupe.Seems like a simple project right?...Wrong...cant get the pin out of the hing to put the mirror on in place of the pin...I've tried everything...The top of the pin is missing the mushroom shape and is just a bit below flush from the top of the hinge.I figured it would just tap out with a small punch or drift pin..wrong again...so I tried drilling it out...made a lil progress, but kept breaking bits......So what am I doing wrong???...are these pins threaded?...

2. Not threaded but knurled.I think you have to knock them out from the bottom.Heat and PB helps.

3. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

Not threaded, just seized... Almost always... I've only ever had luck with a drill... Get yourself some more bits and keep at it.. Luck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

Maybe let it soak for a few hours with something like pb blaster? Just an idea, maybe it will help. Good luck.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.

5. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I forgot to mention what Mr Webb said...

6. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I had the same problem with mine. Tried soaking w. PB Blaster, Pin removal tool, pounding, drilling, and still no luck.
    A buddy of mine, a machinist, helped me fix it by removing the hinge from the car, pressing the old pin out with a press, boring the hinge out, and machining a new oversize pin to fit. It worked perfectly! The hinge on mine was attached with screws and rivets, which had to be drilled out and the holes threaded.
    Examination of my old door pin revealed that it had a ridge worn in it that prevented it's easy removal.
    I have heard of others with the similar problem being able to drill or pound them out
    Good luck with your's..

7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yea..I thought about heat and also removing the entire hinge..but the old flat slotted screws that holds the hinges on are seized as well....so...guess I'll keep drilling...maybe invest in some high end bits....thanks guys...at least I'm on the right track

8. Thread hear someplace about making a driver from an air chisel point. Best to go from bottom up.

9. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

325w's suggestion sounds like it might work.
    Drilling didn't work for me because mine was really rusted and had a ridge worn into the pin. Also, drilling requires a long bit, takes forever, and is hard to do without scratching the paint on the drip rail.

10. I've had luck with soaking the pin with PB blaster and then use a air chisel with a punch bit to drive the pin up and out. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    grits likes this.
  11. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

my coupe has no drip rails, and I'm not worried bought paint cause I'm goint to repaint it...the pin doesnt seem original..the bottom is not like the other pins..it has a small flange on it...I doubt it will go upwards thru the hinge..looks like my only option is going downward...maybe getting a more durable punch..it just bends my drift pin when I try to apply more force

12. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

if I could just get the hinge off I could replace the hinge...sheeesh..all this for a mirror...lol

13. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

x 2, works for me

14. the knurling on the top of the pin will make it almost impossible to drive it downwards. I'd keep drilling. Start with a # 30 go about 3/8 to 1/2 inch down. Then go to a 3/16" and keep working up in drill size and down in the hole once you get about 3/4" down in the hole you should be past the knurling and then you can drive that baby down and out.
    -Pat

15. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

cool..I'll keep drilling..sounds like a common problem,,,,waiting on the delivery of a new ingersol rand..so the air chisel is out for awhile...it sure seems that this is a common problem...I dont think these doors have been off for many years..there must be 6 layers of paint on the hinges!!

16. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

As mentioned soak and let sit with PB Blaster, knock off the flange and drive from bottom up. Heat with wax around the pin is supposed to help but I haven't tried that.

17. mr.40ford

mr.40ford

18. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

19. mr.40ford

mr.40ford

A lot of patience is required. Your on the right track .Keep drilling and soaking. Go get some good quality drill bits. Don't use cheap ones. If they break off in the hinge you really have problems. Expearance talking. Good luck

20. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

21. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I could probably grind that bottom flange away..then try going up with the pin

22. 5window

5window

MJ-you will find that often the hinge parts will work a flange or shelf into part of the pin shaft. Then. in order to drive it out, you will need to find the position where the door is part way open (or part way shut, I guess) and the pin will then drive out. Excessive force is ultimately not your friend since you can bend things up and you may find that hinges which have been in place for 80+ years may not be all that happy to be loosened. Do a HAMB search on hinge pins and you find more info.

23. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

Thanks 5Window..good advise!!..I'll do a search..I tried that initially..must searched under the wrong words

24. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

I had tried all of the above and was afraid of breaking something or bending the hinge or hit the body with the hammer. I was very impressed with this tool.

25. markboo

markboo

Get them red hot the pin and hing then spray water to cool real quick drive from bottom up may have to do it twice But Will Come Out

26. verde742

verde742

Just a thought,,
    if its got a flange on bottom, maybe it was put in upside down.. should NOT even have a flange on bottom. carry on...

27. verde742

verde742

check above post.

28. studematt

studematt

Heat and or air chisel.

29. mickeyc

mickeyc

You would definitely need to lightly grind the expanded end off the bottom of the pin
    The drake tool worked for me on the pins on my 40. However you must go slowly and check the pin alighnment
    as it enters the hinge and begins pressing against the door pin. It will wander a bit as the threats are turned until it moves the door pin and enters the hinge body.

30. mickeyc

mickeyc

The flat slotted screws on my 40 were seized as well since i had no panels in the way I was
    able to access the back of the hinge. I used a 000 brazing tip on my ox acetylene rig and was able
    to adjust a small pinpoint flame and heat the nuts cherry red, then held them with a box end wrench and was able to remove the slotted screws with a screw driver. prior to heating the nuts I crumbled the slots on one screw and had to drill it out