Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Sports Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ghornbostel, Dec 27, 2014.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like this thread and its subject. Seems to me that Hornbostel's intent (pre-1960 cars with hot rod motivation) is consistent with the HAMB criteria, so I hope it/he hangs around.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  2. I remember my best friends older brother did a 50's MG and put a small block Ford in it. What a blast to drive. Like a mini Cobra. Sitting that low with power is a rush. And we were all Hot Rodders.:cool:

Elcohaulic and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. elgringo71

elgringo71

This one was out of the Denver area, National Record Holder too. attachment-144.jpeg assassinationmg.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now those get an A for the Hot Rod part makes me want to rethink my Sports Car thought I have always wanted to go with mine.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  5. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Sorry I can't provide a picture but last year I saw an MGA with a chevy BIG block installed! I couldn't believe it still had footroom, too. I asked the builder how he managed to squeeze it in and he showed me something I had failed to notice....He had cut the whole car down the middle and widened it by 4 inches! You couldn't tell from the side. That's hot-rodding!

6. back in the late 60's i installed a 289 with four speed in a Sabra(sp) for a customer then when he blew the motor
    he gave it to me i installed a bbc power glide nine inch rear to run econo/altered never finished parted it out still have the horn button with a cactus on it

7. steven fralin

steven fralin

here's mine car shot.JPG not much mg left

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Here's my starter project. IMAG0347.jpg

WC145, kidcampbell71, quick85 and 2 others like this.
  9. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Since you're from Media I thought it might be this one that shows up at the K&G Speed Shop's last Friday of the month meets:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and another 'merikan V8 in a brit sports car that shows up there:
    [​IMG]

10. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Saltflats
    What motor does it get?

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have not settled on any one engine yet I don't have anything very exciting yet but I am open for ideas.
    The list of options that I have now are
    460 Ford (that I would like to put Boss 9 heads on)
    302 Ford
    Small block Chevys
    383 Mopar
    3.8 V6 with supercharger
    430 or 400 Buick
    Big Block Chevys

12. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Saltflats
    After seeing Hornbostel's TR, I started looking around for one of those little Buick v8's like his, the stuff is available and somewhat reasonable, I found one guy that has aluminum blocks, cranks, pistons, etc. I don't know much about those motors but I intent to find out.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think that would be a good option so I could have a lighter engine package so the balance of the car would be better.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. wisdonm

wisdonm

Forget the 215. Get it's improved brother made by Rover. These have improved metallurgy and larger displacements, up to 5 liters, and fuel injection, if you wish. Junk yards are full of these soccer mom engines.

15. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

How interchangeable are parts between the Buick and Rover, intakes, water pumps, valve covers, etc?

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good friend of mine recently sold this 1956 Austin Healy 100M. 327 Chevy, BorgWarner T10,12 bolt narrowed Chevy rear end. Car was modified back in the early seventies. Fun little "sleeper" to ride around in.
    The last pic of the black Healy is one that I used to see at Rhinebeck every year. Beautiful car. PDH 1.jpg PDH 2.jpg PDH 3.jpg Nice Black Healey.jpg

WC145, oldtymehiboy, bonesy and 2 others like this.
  17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_8698_zps82ca8d68.jpg IMG_8699_zps1775ba07.jpg IMG_8727_zps17399cbc.jpg Few more of the British cars in action.

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Hey I don't think that there has ever been a hot rod sports car thread that this one did not get posted. Nope I didn't build it, nope I never never seen it run but its cool.

[​IMG]

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's about time a thread like this came along!

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

From BG 2013... from another angle. Gary
    DSC_3933aW1600.jpg
    DSC_3936aW1600.jpg

WC145 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. wisdonm

wisdonm

Those parts are basically interchangeable. Of course there are long and short water pumps with different exit angles for various car models. The fuel injection will fit the 215 and the carb manifolds will fit the Rovers.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

porknbeaner lets see what ya got, any pictures of your TD

Pat

24. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

love the thread.

I have always had a weird fascination with volvo P1800's. I want to stuff a 289 ford into one, like this one. anybody have pics of other hot rodded P1800's?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Only shot I got on this computer is from when I was building a set of headers for another car.
    I have managed to round up the beginnings of a chassis at this point. This car was nailhead powered when it made its last pass in '64 ( or'65?) It probably won't be nailhead powered under my flag.

Anyway not much to show its just the tub ( with the doors brazed shut) at this point.

There were actually quit a few TDs and TCs that got drag raced back in the day, mostly Modified Sports car but a few Altered. The Ol' Man called them a Poor Man's Bantam. ;)

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thats how mine started out only with a Ford V-8 60 originally in it.

Pat

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Ok here is a genuine HAMB car a bug eye sprite with a 348. This is an original unrestored from back in the day hot rod sports car. This is a HAMB drags regular and it is a stone but it could be a real runner with a little help.

[​IMG]

WC145, bonesy, 1934coupe and 4 others like this.
  28. Duntov1967

Duntov1967

At times I really regret letting that intake setup go Greg. But then I remind myself that it is so cool that is really being used and on such a neat project. I hope some day to find another one but with only about twenty made, it could be a long wait!

John

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. Speed~On

Speed~On

I just love this car. Ok, minus the rug on this multi-million dollar car. This thing is BAD ASS!

[​IMG]

30. JimSibley

JimSibley

I'm a huge fan of Austin healeys. Any more pics of hotrod healeys?