Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I caught the Banger virus

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Manager, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Manager

Manager

Started looking here a few months ago. Iv'e built a few street/hot rods in my younger days but been away from them for a while.Decieded it was time to maybe do it again. Then the Banger virus struck thanks to you all. Bought a 29 sports coupe yesterday. Plan is the usual on here, wires, lower it, drop headlight bar,shocks,steering box needs a rebuild, the bumpers may go and then drive the shit out of it.:)

Attached Files:

2. 80WTI

80WTI

Bloody awesome, glad to see you are going to leave it and just enjoy it.

3. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Nice looking car enjoy

4. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very nice car. Glad to hear that you are keeping the banger.

5. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Nice car... Bang on

WACCUSTOMS.COM
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

The banger bug has been bothering me lately also, ever since I've seen that 32 4door sedan for sale on Ebay with the 4 banger engine. Have a good time with yours.

7. pumpman

pumpman

Love the bangers and they will love ya back. Have fun and glad to see you're going to treat that nice A in the right way.

8. Beautiful car. My first car was a 28 sport coupe. Of course mine had a Fargo 4 port banger in it for more zip. I've always wished I'd kept that car. Bangers 4 ever.

9. It's not just a virus; it's a disease!

Gorgeous platform! Sport coupés & cabriolets make great hot rods!! Will be following along for sure.

Inspiration;
    mlc_081_spectator-car-41.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what a great picture, tells an interesting story-
    bent spoke 16's on front, flippers on the rear, '32 grill, early V8, custom headlight mount, radio, spot light, chop top, no hood or front fenders but running boards and rear fenders-
    and dig the custom artwork on the '40

gwhite likes this.
  11. Manager

Manager

A couple of questions, anyone in Aus dropping axles or am i better off sending it to Oke Joe? Also I have no shocks at all, do I find some stockers, or does something later go in without much work or do i upgrade to tube shocks? Also what should I run fuel wise in Aus? And if anyone in Aus has some 32 stubs LH drive, perch bolts, 16" or 17" wires let me know.Thanks.:)

12. bundybiker

bundybiker
    from australia

Hi from bundy , there is a guy in Maldon Victoria that drops and certifies axles ,
    Gary Paige is his name , PM me for his number , real good bloke to deal with ,

13. Manager

Manager

Was up at Bundy a few weeks back.. P.M. sent. Thanks.

14. I thought I had caught the Banger Virus but a quick trip to the clinic confirmed a mild case of Small Blockitus.

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Manager

Manager

My son reckons small blockitus will take over my banger virus within a month.:)

16. Gary can drop steering arms as well, my F1 spindles with it's integrated steering arm and one of my A axles will be dropped off shortly to be made into one working assy hopefully.

17. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

interesting! of course you know that there were only four Fargo's made, 2 more in the last few years.

18. I found mine in a wrecking yard / gas station near California City, Ca. in the mid 50's. It was a complete B engine with a rod hanging out the side of the pan. The owner of the yard had several OHV converted B engines in running condition. He used to run banger powered dirt track cars. Paid $500.00 for the Fargo engine and loaded it in the back of the old mans 54 Chevy to bring home.

out plowing likes this.
  19. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Penicillin and a healthy shot of v-8 can cure that horrible virus

20. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I can handle the penicillin, the V8 not so well! :)

gwhite likes this.
  21. legion

legion

22. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

out plowing likes this.
  23. Juggler

Juggler

Can thoroughly recommend Mr B's book

[​IMG]

out plowing likes this.
  24. mike bowling

mike bowling

Stick with the bangers, mate. And if you get Smallblockitis,go 302 or 289 so you can be treated at the Betty FORD Clinic 28 day program! If you go SBC, it's all over; RIP (rust in piece). Nice find- good luck with it.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Manager

Manager

Engine is fine as it is at the moment but I think I need to do something with the steering box and find some shocks for it. From what I have brought up in searching, rebuilding the steering box can be tricky.:(

26. Manager

Manager

back on the road 008 (Small).jpg Just a quick update, I got the Okie Joe axle and some 32 stubs and got the front where I want it. I took to the rear spring with a pipe bender and rearched it. I should have reversed the eyes, hindsight always shit me. But it's alright where it is at the moment. A set of Kelseys and 700/ 550 tyres. Dropped headlight bar and ditched the bumpers and spare wheel. Banger is running fine so just keep driving it for now. Thanks to all those I bugged with P.M.'s looking for advice.Everyone I asked was only too happy to answer.Battling with pics, be patient.

Attached Files:

27. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Good job! Have fun.

28. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looking good, keep the updates coming

29. I don't know if it's just me but this car looks half done.

30. It's just you :) Seriously though, what hot rod is ever "done"? Fenders could have been removed for a run on the lakes...or fenders & hood for an engine transplant. It's a great photo that captures a specific point in time. We'd all be well-served to study and appreciate it for what it is; "finished" or not...