Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 57 gmc 100 truck building in Ga

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dawai, May 16, 2011.

1. Oh man. I went through that family squabble crap when my Mom passed away. It's amazing how greedy people get. I don't know what the hell is wrong with people.

Can't wait to see those stainless titties. Don't forget to put some nice nipples on 'em! :D

2. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Today, I shoved it outside, cut a piece of 11ga to go behind the wilwood cylinder for the clutch, broke a edge on two sides, welded it to the cut down MC swing assembly from the 74 GMC. THEN X-braced it across the dash, and to the left, mounted a angle iron on the top two bolts of the booster mount and X-braced that off.

NOW when I press my 300lbs onto the brake pedal "nothing moves". I bled the clutch, the Speedway "ford pull" type slave cylinder with silicone fluid. I can't press the pedal and watch it stroke the heim end Speedway clutch fork now.. bummer. No clue if it will go into gear or grind?

I figured a way to use the throttle cable & pedal (ford or cadillac?) that was on it, but will need to punch another hole in the mirror stainless firewall to do so.. I am thinking on whether to do so. It will not work if I install the TPI. Need a "cheap-to-sell battery for the shop truck", this one needs it's optima battery back. I took the steering column floor mount out, trashed it.

I used to swap out a engine, pull, exhange accessories, and reinstall in a day.. I feel old and slow. Ain't nobody chasing me with a stick??

3. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Damn what a good story!

Can't wait to see you get this "new" 57 GMC out on the road.

4. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Some new parts, some rat-holed parts I have had since the early 80s. I am the worst hot-rod part compulsive "hoarder" you have ever saw.

Door hinges. I need to research Hamb to see what others have done. The lower drivers hinge goes up and down about a inch, welded in. I have put off addressing it hoping I would have some days when I could see and do some decent welds. Capacitor popped on my 1951 leblond lathe, I was thinking I could cut some bushings to weld into the hinges. Now I get to fix it first.

Herculiner brush in bedliner, I put it in the bed, on the back of the cab where it does not show. I am really wanting to brush it on the floors of this old truck, the new metal is "mig dirt daubed" in around the edges, the new tunnel where the motor-trans was raised when the frame clip was welded in would blend in better. I chose to lower front end 2" from stock 74 GMC ride, that bit me in the butt and I had to build a new tunnel. I am hoping it handles better thou.

I tore rotted 1" shag carpet up, partially why it had a street sign in the floor? the carpet held the moisture. I met the "son" whose father built this truck before. I would like to spend a hour with him to determine if "pop" was a moonshiner as I suspect, or a old hot rodder & racer. I think he has a meth habit?? or?? He has something that made him sell his fathers truck.

the bullet holes in the back of the cab probably are more of a story than I ever have had. I bondo'ed em.. a rat rodder would have been proud of them??

5. exfbjock86

exfbjock86

Attached Files:

6. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

I had a 51 studebaker truck (packard body) with a transAm clip, it drove great, but was a car with a truck body. A harley in the back would sit it on the ground. IT was so much fun.

This one is truck. I plated the truck clip in the front with 3/8" plate, welded in, overlapped, fish mouthed together. I burned 3/32 7018 rods "hot" in. Unless you know where to look, you really can't see the clip joint. (I had help) I would trust it wheel-standing or overloaded with scrap metal but it'll never see any of that.

But, no matter what I do, it has truck steering, Aframes, big discs brakes, will drive and handle like a truck, not a car. So, limited in fun.. I do have some "sway bars" I can install front and rear. That will keep it flat at least in the corners.

Tornado warnings last night. sheesh. Horrible night of sleep.

7. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Running again, off the weedeater gas jug, you know the oil-mix?? I had to hear the flowmasters off the headers.. Something is awry with the hydraulic clutch, grinding gears, not releasing.. Readjust and bleed some more??

8. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Cool. Bleed clutch/ slave cylinder again? It can't hurt

9. Ive been watching this thread from the start and I gotta say I love it.
    Its one of those threads that grab your attention...
    Keep building.

10. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

I got it going in all 5 gears, it almost "got me" last night thou, I cranked it up, on ramps on the front, jack stands in the rear, a "harbor fright" chain fall on the trailer hitch-cross member. It Rolled off the ramps, the jack stands overturned, and the only thing saving my ass from being hurt was the Chinese chain fall hanging from the beam over the door. (cool thing is you can pick this old girl up by the trailer hitch, solid cross-reinforced frame, you could dangle it off a mountain with no fear of it falling) Bad thing was I got so much adrenalin in me I could not sleep till 1am.

I got laquer thinner, without interruptions today I am shooting primer on the raw metal after I bump sand it. Perhaps run a few wires inside, I am planning on mounting the fuse panels on the passenger floor panel behind a concealment.

11. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Getting the 65 327 ready to go into the GMC. NO starter hole for a cheap starter, the later model starters are like $25.. so I am drilling the block for the newer starters. (fit the newer flywheel I have also)

1)Made 3 3/8"x16tpi pointed bolts using lathe and grinder.
    2)Inserted into block starter holes on a junk 305 block, tapped the aluminum template down with a hammer.
    3) squared drill press up from drill table to drill bit to ensure straight hole. Drilled punch marks with a 3/8" drill bit.
    4) bolted two holes to 327 block, used a transfer punch to mark 3rd hole.. Removed template to hang on wall in case I ever need it again.
    (5) Lit barbeque grille for hamburgers. (I need a new 5/16ths drill bit and new 3/8" tap before proceeding on this 327) Will use a tapping block to make sure hole is squared.

Attached Files:

12. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

I drilled the hole through a "squared" block, then drilled the first 1/2 depth to 3/8" hole, this centered the tap as it started in the hole, no real tapping block needed. (we will see when it cranks over if I did allright or not??)

My wife claims this is "not a 327 engine test stand" as I told her?? why would she disbelieve me? I dropped it down from the ceiling and started sticking the parts onto it to see what all I have accumulated for it.

Attached Files:

13. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Love the "engine test stand!"

Nice job on the starter template.

14. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

The 350 got out. The 1965 327 is sitting in as of yesterday. Not bolted in yet. I was having a bad day yesterday, was hoping to fire it up. The distributor I cut the gear off of dropped in, awaiting oil to build the oil pressure with a drill. THE T has some locked up brakes on the rear end.. making it a pain to push about. I swear my wife cursed it. Gremlins exist in my shop the last week.
    The drain plug was stripped, I spilled the fluid from the T-5.. pushed the truck out, cleaned the floor, then spilled the fluid from a turbo 350 after breaking the tailshaft "baggie" I had on it.

THE 350 needs valve seals, the valve stems were visibly wet, I have umbrella seals to install. I started to do the rope trick with it in the truck. (feed a small rope into the spark plug hole, roll over engine to lock valves so they can't fall in cyl, depress and remove springs, replace seals, reassemble) THE copper header gaskets leaked so bad, the headers had to come back off.. so.. it all got out onto the floor.

The 327 was gave to me by Porky, sentimental like a old woman perhaps.. but I promised I'd never sell it, and was planning on running it in this truck eventually. I have invested a rering kit, turned the crank 10, and a set of 305 HO heads. (so far). It has a turbo350 to sort out brakes and other things on the 57.

Attached Files:

15. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Finally found a use for a wore out 305, a mock up block.. built me a engine test stand since the wife got upset about the other one. Another item my "children" when they clean out my abandoned home will say.. "What was he thinking?" this thing is dirty and useless for video games and sit com watching.

Attached Files:

16. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Sucks all the gas that Demon race carburetor can give, no black smoke. HITS it from 700rpm to 4000 in a split second. Revvs quicker than anything I have ever had.

PROBLEMS, the bolts vibrated out of the rear motor-stand mount, the automatic flywheel looked like a piece of rubber (really scared me) and I have a helluva oil leak.. the oil leak? I can take off a header & the side stands, roll it upside down and fix it. (ain't that too cool??)

IT sounds so good.. no smoke.. I almost had to call the wife to come home and finish the job it started on me. I am sure the neighbors all hate me now, either in jealousy or annoyance with the open headers.

Attached Files:

17. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

I really prefer the 1st engine test stand.

The 2nd one looks functional but lacks the "cool factor" of the original version.

Keep up the good work!

18. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW03VD_KJxs THe 327 running with a Demon race carb on the test stand. The 327 today as I was "figuring" out what goes where when on the tpi intake, runners and top box. Never messed with a tuned port at all other than playing with the sensors on the bench with a meter and laptop, so it was a learning experience. MS3x Megasquirt EFI computer is in the truck, I may run the cables out the passenger door and connect to the 327 on the stand, run fuel line from the truck to the motor. Once I am satisfied (if that is possible) I can move it all into the engine bay of the 57 and be pretty sure it will work???

I am willing to bet I have the only tuned port equipped 1965 327 in town. If it "improves" throttle response "any more" I may not be able to stand it.. that 327 hits it quick.

Not real happy with fuel injection conversion but I put a "street" demon carb on the shop truck. It is "new stuff" too, the ethanol-gas junk "screws" up carburetors stopping up the passages, I got three apart here trying to "fix" them. So far it looks like I am going to bag the whole mess up and give to it someone else to mess with. I went and purchased that Street demon last Saturday, so far it is great, a throwback to a thermoquad? with jets and tubes that dip down from the top casting like a motorcycle (used to). It has rapid throttle response, seems to meter the gas good so it should be cheaper to drive. I don't drive much anymore thou.

If the TPI-computer-install kicks my ass? I may buy another of them street demons.

Attached Files:

19. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Mounted the "dodge" radiator on the test engine stand handle that lifts off.. it is mounted with the two pins in bottom and two bolts. Not sure yet if I want to cut some expanded metal for both sides. It is behind the handle there where nothing can accidently bump it??

Not loving the EFI swap so far.(still scratching my head about ethanol gas thou). it has sat silent now for several days. I got this Offenhauser intake hanging on the wall, a set of them old signature edelbrock valve covers it'd look good next to.

Attached Files:

20. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

4-barrel Offenhauser intake is bolted on this 327.. I came up with a virus, a error?? on MSTUNE to make the megasquirt EFI-tpi work.. Through a buddy I found a zip fix to extract to repair it.. but.. it requires a password to unzip it. (lets see that happen with a carburetor) Kinda makes you want to drive across the country and jerk a knot in a nerds ass. Stressed & pissed off.

I am going to measure the three or four transmissions here and see if a automatic will direct swap with the T5 w/adapter and run this old girl around a bit with a lazy left foot and carburetor.. It's getting the Demon off the shop truck. Sort it all out easy like.

21. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Blind man welding.. the tig work putting the AFR sensor bung in the stainless header was horrible. I had to cut a thicker plate, dance the arc around it welding to the very thin tubing. THE weld the bung hole in the middle. Tilted back I think right??

Offenhauser intake is on, bolted down, 3 lifting eyes are on, 4th would not work around water thermostat housing, there is a bolt on the head there on the front. Distributor is timed in place. Motor is still too tight to turn with a socket on the balancer. I should've plasti-gauged it.. but.. it was mic'ed by myself and one of the best machinist in the area. The front hole tapped for a balancer bolt by him. The starter "new 3rd hole" works great, no unusual noises as it cranks over.

It is about ready to sit back in. (2nd time)

Attached Files:

22. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

She is "Back in black", the "raw" doors and bullet holes are primed, first coat.

Lots of bodywork to do. It will not rust down around my ears thou. THE 327, has a oil leak I have not figured out how to fix, perhaps a NEW CHINESE oil pan from Summit? Originals with the drivers side dipstick are hard to find? no clue, I pulled it, siliconed the hell out of it, put it back, and it appeared to be fixed, rolled the bitch over on it's side and it pours out like there is no gasket there.

Made me so mad I nearly ate a quart of ice cream.

Attached Files:

23. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

A stone guard in front of that aluminum radiator, it "NOW" has a 7qt oil pan on the 327 since I obviously can't get a gasket to seal on the original one, that engine was removed with a "claw" at the scrap yard where the ramp truck was being recycled. So?? but it sits on the gang box and you can't see a gap?
    THE oil pan, not real happy, it hangs below the front crossmember about a inch or so. THE Summit Racing ones, the feedback say they have to be bent to get all the bolts to align.. meaning not much better than the original one.
    Still needs door hinges, the front fenders repaired or replaced.

Attached Files:

24. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

O2 sensors screwed into the stainless headers, copper-shield on the threads, I hunted and hunted the speedometer drive for the mustang T5, Not to be found. I robbed one from a TH350 automatic. I was mildly surprised when it fit.

Took a bit getting most all the bolts in the header flanges, the two end bolts are off on both sides on the HO heads. I then wired up the starter switch to a six foot set of wires going over to the passenger floorboard, the Nitrous shielded toggle over to the same place next to the fuse panel, routed the tail light wires out the back end on the outside of the frame away from headers and mufflers. Mounted the PLX AFR gauge in the dash, not sure how the kids mount them??? I used tape around the gauge and 3m (gorilla snot) glue, the SunPro tachometer in the other 3 3/8" hole, also using tape and glue.

Not put a carburetor on it yet, I probably will "rob" the new Demon off the shop truck for it here in a week or so when I go to back it outside. It is getting very close to cranking and backing out under it's own power. I have shoved it outside so many times since I can't stand being inside. (the shadetree mechanic will never leave me??)

I am almost getting excited. I shortened the shifter stainless tube to a more moderate length, the long length, thou cool had too much slop, shorter is tighter.

Still got them Screwed up door hinges.

25. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Good to see you're still making good progress.

I enjoy working on stuff outside too, as long as it isn't too damn hot!

Are you still planning on using the TPI?

26. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Hi,... First round of the TPI went to a virus, or TunerStudioMS error.. I pulled all the work, harness, TPI and parts out of the truck. I put near $2k in the TPI off the camaro, the MegaSquirt EFI computer, harness and other related parts.. I got my butt whipped first time up.

(years ago, I Sparred with one of Ben Kiker's (UKS) full contact fighters.. I jumped right on in then and "actually hit him in the eye".. then.. I got such a whipping you never saw before, I didn't see a micro-second between red glove impacts for a few seconds. I was sitting in a bar later on that night with my eyes swelling shut, trying to figure out how to get my motorcycle home)...

I learned not to be so hasty.. so I thought.. THE TPI adventure.. reminds me of it. TPI, IT IS NOT OLD AND COOL.. but I wish someone would, could explain how to make a carburetor run on the current fuel I am buying here. Run good one day.. sucks the next.. I listen to my engines.. things like that PLX brand AFR gauge tell you what is happening inside the motor.. without looking at chalk soot in a tail pipe "later". Kinda tells you "not to buy gas there again". A improperly tuned engine is self destructing as you run it. A EFI engine self adjusts to the crappy fuel.. and having a EFI ECU you can look at all the parameters inside, lets you know what is happening according to the sensors (instruments) tied to it.. NO EFI or carburetor I have saw replaces common sense and diagnostic ability of experience thou.

THE other thing cool about that EFI rig, "staged nitrous" that only gives it a shot if it is in RPM range, everything else is "cool" enough to take it. There is a new LEAN-out shut-down parameter they added to the software. (I don't know how to use) RPM LIMITING by fuel and spark, Fan control.. (yes I have one on the waterpump too) and monitoring of all the sensors every few micro-seconds. And Launch control.. meaning you can flip a toggle put it on the floor and it will "stutter" till you let it go.. (sounds like shit, goes like crazy)

FIRST, Foremost.. I am a old time hotrodder.. love cool old cars.. but I am a motorhead too. I love the feel of a car-truck crawling sideways under extreme acceleration under my ass.
    I would still like to try the EFI.. once I get my courage back up.

27. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

That's some cool stuff there.

I know that this is O/T in this forum but I am a motor head and hot rodder as well and am always intrigued and amazed by the capabilities of EFI and data acquisition for tuning reasons.

I try to use a lot of common sense when tuning any car or truck that I have ever worked on or even helped out with. I find that many folks make complicated and complex decisions and make things even worse.

You are a very smart man. Once you get your courage up you will get the EFI just right. Just stay away from those damn turbos because they are just as addicting as nitrous!

Back to the traditional hot rodding show.

28. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Afraid it has some broken valve springs. After moving it to the front, it could get no traction in the wet grass. No rev limiter.. Some valve train noise "appeared". I am pulling a valve cover here in a bit. THE milodon oil pump does not hold as good of idle pressure as the Melling HV one did either.

Attached Files:

29. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

YEAH, motor is coming back out. (Bummer) I feel like a shot of liquor or a case of beer.

30. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Any updates?