Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need to know about clear plastics for transmission hump.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 1, 2015.

1. GTS225

GTS225

***********************************************************************************************************

THIS! While it might give a "pro-street/drag" flavor to the interior, it'll be a lot easier to fab the skeleton trans hump with small, or even long, angled windows of flat sheet in it. Easier to swap out when you get raccoon blood on the bottom side of it, too.

Roger

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check with these guys http://www.hpmanufacturing.com/retail_store.html# From their website it looks like they stock remnants

Also you might check for a Redwood Plastics and see if there is one in your area. Industrial plastics house that will cut out what you want for a reasonable price.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D You can do it, but do you really want to ? Paint the transmission and be done with it :D :D:D
    The quick change is coming along :)

5. Yes I want to.
    Do I need a clear transmission cover, well with a polished transmission fuck yeah I need one. Does anyone need a polished transmission ? Just about like anyone needs a hot rod - like a hole in your head. Kinda like the same way anyone needs a quick change.

Noamsaiun?

Mat Thrasher likes this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Ok, we need our hot rods, and I need a quick change. :D It's like I tell my wife all the time there's a difference between wants and needs :)
    We have needs ;)

7. Thanks,
    All I need to do is narrow down a material that is suitable and then figure out how to make it work and make the most of its characteristics.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You know that I was just messing with you :)

9. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Last year at the GNRS show there was a car from Australia that had a clear floor t_bucket.JPG

10. I thought about that , I really did. But I figured any drive time would be highly problematic. So I figured just the Trans cover would be good enough. As you can see the mere thought of a clear cover caused just enough pooh pooh

11. interesting idea.

12. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I POLISHED MY 727 IN MY ot 68 PLYMOUTH. CAME OUT BITCHIN. I DIDNT DO ANYTHING TO SHOW IT OFF, BUT HEY LOTS OF US SAY OUR CARS ARE NAVER REALLY DONE.

13. So I gotta ask, right?
    Where you needing to build a trans hump and floors from scratch in that car anyway, or was it all together.
    Cuz that would make a hell of a difference

14. steven fralin

steven fralin

one thing first is you must heat the polycarbonate for two hr at 250F to get the water out of it or you will get bubbles (polycarbonate get water build up in it and you must dry it first) the sheet will steel be hard at 250F make a wood mold the you can bend around and clamp around, where you make the bends at, heat with a heat gun at 375 F
    been making machine guards out of polycarbonate for years

lewk and loudbang like this.
  15. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

i would make a wooden male version of what I wanted and sub it out to a vac form shop. thats the cleanest way IMO

16. Seems easy enough to make out of plastic.
    Maybe I'll just do the window?
    Maybe I'll just weld this one it in and get busy driving and running 10s

image.jpg

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My vote is cut a hole in the metal one you have there, screw this down and move on. Easily opened to clean the bottom, glass won't yellow, chemical resistant, fume tight seal, looks vintage. I know, I suggested it already...

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

19. might be cool to duplicate the shapes of whatever rear windows you go with.

20. steven fralin

steven fralin

it's not that hard to do, make it! you just have make at mold like your print.(a box that you can clamp to out of wood and make it smooth with bondo and sand it make it like what you want the bend to look like)
    I made the head light covers for my car
    that took more than this part to make!( long story) this how I know how to do it !(you can leave the coating the poly has on it just remove it where you are going to make the bend).heat one corner that you are going to bend I would start with the one of the sides first, make shure that you have it clamp up before you start making the first bend and it has been cooking for 2 hr s at 250f also make clamping boards
    then the next side make shure that you have room for the poly to hang over because you going to need that for the lower bend
    with the heat gun slowly move the heat gun back and forth and top and bottom put light presser on the part to bend after some time it will start to move it will happen kinda fast when it get to temp move it and clamp it in place and air cool! lower bend could be done with 2 2x4 with the poly clamp in the middle heat just like before and make the lower bends I would cut the holes for mounting and for the shifter last

21. noboD

noboD

google JWR museum, then click on vehicles. Look for the 1931 Avions-Voisin Berline. It's my favorite car PERIOD. It has a polished aluminum transmission that is exposed to the interior. There's a good picture of it. Forget the plastic!

22. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

When I Raced back when..we used polycarbonite sheets all the time. Vacuum forming, heat gun, hot water, propane torch. I like the heat tape idea!.... When I lived back in Wisconsin, we dealt with Midland Plastics, New Berlin, Wi. One note! Brake Clean is not it's friend!... I'm sure you'll get it!...Good Luck!

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was thinking jet fighter canopy.

24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I think the guys that suggested flat panels such as the canopy on the ME105 is the way to go. First, it's much easier to fabricate, second it looks cool and lastly, the panels would be easy to replace. You could even get trick using Dzus fasteners. There is a tremendous amount of road grime and engine oil drops, exhaust and other grime thats going to get on the plexiglass panels, and they will get trashed. To fab a clear bubble every couple of years is going to get real old, and expensive. Also Lexan is the way to go as opposed to plexiglass. I met a guy that had a "rat rod" with expanded metal floors and he said "NEVER again", too much dirt and grime into the interior.

25. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I don't have any info to add. But I love the idea. Go for it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The surface of the Lexan will likely get dirty but if he can polish a transmission he can certainly polish the Lexan provided it's thick enough. NASCAR tear offs would work well also.