Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Early Hot Rod sighting

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by USMercUte, Jul 20, 2014.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

I know the fellow that bought the car, long time family friend. The car belonged to the father of the wife of one of my friend's high school class mates (they graduated in 1953).

I have not seen the car in person, as I now live a couple of hours away. I do intend to make a trip over to see it though. Last I heard, he had intentions of preserving the car, with just a mechanical restoration.

Here's a pic of the dash...with some nice old SW gauges.

Neal

Attached Files:

2. redo32

redo32

Neal, now you did it. Everyone here will expect you to keep us informed. Thanks.. Red

3. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya Red, it slipped through their hands, didn't it. I also failed to ask them where they found out about it. Lots of unanswered questions.

4. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

can't wait for the pictures.

5. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

The pictures of the car on Pewsplace were sent to Lynn from John, another long time friend of the new owner. We, too, hope to see the car soon. I'd like to see the new owner have Neal bring it back to life, I know Neal would treat the car with the respect it deserves...

6. pumpman

pumpman

Man oh man, oh man, oh man!!!!!

7. I never doubted what you saw but the Hamb has always been photo oriented,,the photo of the roadster on the trailer is vindication and proof positive you did see this beauty.

[​IMG]

I too would like to here the story and watch this car come back to life,,it is extremely to find a 82 year old deuce that has been left alone. HRP

catdad49 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. NealinCA

NealinCA

I'd like to see that too...

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car with some history behind it.
    Now I have a question for those wiser than I am. Why is leaving an old rod or custom in the as found after sitting for 50 years rotting in a shed called "preserving it"? Wouldn't restoring it back to the original builders as built condition and not over restoring or changing it actually be "preserving it" Or is it better to let them rot into the ground because you believe that it is better to have the rotted parts for show and tell than have it be as the original builders vision was for it?

Weedburner 40 and loudbang like this.
  10. Great to see pics of the car, I hope it retains its original as found condition but made mechanically sound.

preserve |priˈzərv|verb [ with obj. ]maintain (something) in its original or existing state: all records of the past were zealously preserved.

restore |riˈstôr|verb [ with obj. ] repair or renovate (a building, work of art, vehicle, etc.) so as to return it to its original condition: the building has been lovingly restored.

11. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Guys, thanks for all the comments. At the least, it has put the car out to the HAMB community and hopefully we will be able to follow it's new life in the California sunshine.

12. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

If they were from the Visalia/Fresno area I might now who it is.There is a guy named Jeff from there that has acres of 32 stuff and knows what its worth.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Now we're getting somewhere, Lets not lose track of this one. Bringing it back to life with a series of updates would be just fine.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would love to see some more photos of your Avatar. SWEET !

15. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

So here, boys & girls is what a real BARN FIND looks like! The stuff dreams are made of.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:rolleyes: Ohhhhhhhhhh boy.The"H.A.M.B. Detective Agency"is now open for business.:p
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. Mart

Mart

Now that's a nice one to haul home. Love everything about it.

Mart.

18. If the friend of the new owner that picked up the car is from Fresno, and the friend of the new owner that sent in the pics is named John, I instantly think of John Lawson who has a museum with over 30 1932 Fords.

19. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Nope, not John Lawson.

20. Geez......some guys have all the luck, AND, of course....some guys have all the cash....to afford such luck. Always seems to be a marriage of those two, with happy endings like this. PUKE !!! Oh well.....(wipe mouth).....puke !! Congrats......puke!! Lucky indeed.......

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Is it done yet?:oops:

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe thats Jeff Black, he's in that area, also Wayne Pendola.
    All those Valley Roadster guys keep in touch.
    Great find!---Hope he gets it on the road with his stories too.
    Reminds me of my beginning in 1962. 2009_07121962-----19680010.JPG

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. This is unreal. How many more are there? Just one more is really all I need.

24. USMercUte

USMercUte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am really glad to see this come back to the top and hope Neal can convince the new owners to post here on the hamb.
    Slightly off topic but rare all the same, Gary Addcox asked about my Avatar. It is a 46 Mercury Ute from Australia which I brought back and did up in the 90's and it now has about 60,000 miles since the rebuild. Mercury was in Australia from 46-48 only and had only 4 door sedans and utes. Only about 70 were built in 46, 73 in 47 and 72 in 48. A friend in Oz, old4dlvr, owns one and tracks them. His estimate is about 18 left in the world. One is in Canada un-built and I saw one come in from New Zealand and was sold here I assume. It is my favorite long distance hot rod, a fun ride. Thanks for asking. Ute 3.jpg Ute 2.jpg Ute 1.jpg

25. That's different!! Great looking car. Thanks for posting the pics..Tim

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, oh man ! Living in South Texas all my life, I have seen very few Utes of any kind. That Merc is so usable as a streetrod, road machine, truck, everything. Color is soo appropriate. I drive a '32 steel Highboy and a '40 2-dr. and really love them, but I am very envious of you. It is a true winner . Beautiful, rare, and purposefull.

27. fortynut

fortynut

I feel like I just watched a shuttle launch. Lots of questions. Lots of fireworks. Sittin' and waitin' to watch the arm work and listen to the rattle talk. Curious how it'll look after re-entry. Know it won't be covered in this post. Sure miss Walter. He was all there. Unlike many today. What a car to find in this day and age. Quite a story. Worth reading. Waiting on the happy ending.

28. ............speechless about that deuce. Wow.

29. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Any updates on this roadster??? Inquiring minds want to know!

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. bigorangetruck

bigorangetruck
    from TX

I second that! We need a little inspiration here.