Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features cragar wheel history

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bulletproof1, May 14, 2008.

1. They looked better on some cars more than others... but my buddy's slightly lowered '60 Starliner (in Wimbledon white) looked bitchin' with a set of 14x6 reversed SS wheels with skinny WW....

2. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Got'em on both our cars. Found some original center caps from early production. No Trademark and no made in china
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  3. tomcurnow

tomcurnow
    from Los Angles

The Timeline should show the sale of Cragar to Mr Gasket in 1984, then the sale to a Mr Gasket employee when MG was forced to sell assets, That management team moved Cragar to Arizona and was unable to assemble the plating plant due to AZ regs, they moved it all to Mexico. All of this took time and money, unfortunatly all of this took it toll and the owners terminated all manufacturing and began licensing other manufactures to use the Cragar name and logo, sad end to a great company that was run my real hot rodders for nearly 5 decades

Kan Kustom and Model T1 like this.
  4. Capt Crash

Capt Crash
    from Colorado

I agreee with all of this but you also have to take into account that Cragar was in buisiness in Phoenix for years and they were doing well until the collapse of Super Shops and the MILLIONS of dollars that they owed to Cragar and its owner Michael Hartzmark. This is what untimately led to the end of Cragar Wheels as it was.
    Brian

5. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I know this is old but Superior wheels made the same exact wheels with the same centers.

6. Daktari

Daktari
    from APO - AE

I have a set of wheels en-route to me that supposedly say Crager on em... This is the only picture I have seen of em (they were that good a deal)..
    They are 15x6 Chevy pattern with 3 3/4" Back Spacing...
    [​IMG]
    Anyone have any ideas?

7. Daktari

Daktari
    from APO - AE

Possibly Hollywood Barelas? Did Hollywood make any other styles?

Hollywood-East likes this.
  8. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I don't think these are Cragers. Most of the time the bolt holes are slotted.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

I might let a full set of 14"x6" go. I think ill keep the center cap spinners but might let the hardware go. 806-3557245

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. What years did Cragar make the unilug Dragstar wheels? I know they aren't traditional, but I still like them on my '32.

11. Boots89

Boots89

Before and after pic.

Attached Files:

blowby likes this.
  12. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Thanks for the info!!! I read through this entire thread looking for this information! I have several sets of SS' s in various widths, backspaces, and lug patterns. Some of the rims are stamped made in the USA, one pair from 1991, yet a couple of other sets are stamped Hecho in Mexico and have mid-late 80's years on them so that makes sense now! I've noticed several different center caps, the early ones with no trademark and no "Made in" stamp, some are stamped with Taiwan, some Japan and others China. Then there are the ones with the darker blue background. Anyone know the chronology of all the different center caps? I have to thank my older brother Ric for turning me onto Cragars when I bought my first 55 Chevy in 1989. It had some Keystones with the wrong offset and bias plys that looked terrible! I put skinnies on the front and reverse offset 15x7's on the rear and it looked like a completely different car! After changing the rims my best friend told me he didn't wanna say anything but he thought the car looked like crap until I put the Cragars on it! I have so many sets now my brother says I should change my name to Cragar! I also have several Hurst Ram Rod shifters and Jackson injections so he said my complete name should be Cragar Ramrod Jackson! :D

Kan Kustom likes this.
  13. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

I can relate man! My brother and I also discovered the center caps are also just the right diameter to cover the clock opening below the speaker grill in a 55 or 56 Chevy Bel Air! It's already blank in a 210 or 150. We were looking for something original to do in our 56 gasser. He replaced the speaker grill with blue plexiglass as well, looks bitchin'!

14. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I am a CRAGAR-aholic. I love CRAGAR SS wheels, blowers, zoomies, timing covers, foot peddles etc.

Baron likes this.
  15. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

cragarspeakergrillrotated.jpg
    This was just a test fitting, a much nicer center cap was used.

16. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

17. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

18. Byakk0

Byakk0

I've got a set of 13x4 S/S on my '67 Triumph GT6. Not exactly American muscle, but I can guarantee it's the only one with Cragars :)
    Best I have been able to determine they were manufactured in 64.
    But you can hardly find rubber for this size any more. Wish BFG still made them.

[​IMG]

Friend of mine came across this for golf carts. Wonder if they'd be street legal.
    http://www.cragarwheel.com/wheels/wheelsdetails/cragar-series-410c-ss-golf-wheel

19. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

..... HenryJ-SuperTricks.JPG

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017