Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Station Wagon Living!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 29, 2014.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

essex1.jpg essex2.jpg essex3.jpg This is what i spent my hard earned money driving a dump truck on in 1966.

AHotRod, Model T1 and Phillips like this.
  2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I always thought that the Studebaker Wagon with the retractable roof was a great idea for camping, or living out of...came out in 1963 I believe.
    As usual though, never caught on from them...
    [​IMG]

3. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

How about a 57 Whitehouse? Just needs a color change !!! a whitehouse 007.jpg

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Loads of great cars - I love longroof rides .

5. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

My 64 Acadian wagon.
    I have no plans to ever sell it.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great for carrying around your pet giraffe, too.

lothiandon1940 and Hdonlybob like this.
  7. ceegrey

ceegrey

Roof Chop (16).JPG Regal Wagon.jpg I am also wagon fan here's a shot of my 1982 Aussie built Chrysler Regal and a shot of my current kustom project a 1960 Aussie built FB Holden wagon completed the roof chop recently

AHotRod likes this.
  8. If your talking about the 56 buick problem, no. Shes back under the carport. The steering shaft went out in my 98 4/4 dodge Dakota, and thoses A holes off flea bay keep sending me the wrong one . I am snagging a ride in to town today to see if they have the right one so I can get the wagon back in the shop and start tearing in to the wiring with the pictures 31 vickey sent me. Bruce.

9. starliner62

starliner62

My parents gave me their 61Ford Country Squire wagon when I was 13. It had quit running and I had to fix it. My brother just got out of boot camp and sat of a stool, drinking beer and telling me what to do. I tore the 292 apart, finding burnt valves, got them fixed and put the car back together. My Mom came out in to the carport and laid a 50 dollar bill on the dash, betting us that it wouldn't crank. A good bit of cash for 1971. The car started after about two turns.
    I drove the squire all through high school. It was fun on dates. I ended up putting a 351 Cleveland and a toploader 4 speed in it, making it really fun to drive. I got t-boned by a 64 Valiant and that put and end to my wagon.
    I recently saw a 61 ranch wagon for sale. If I can gather some cash, it will be in my driveway.

Cooon and AHotRod like this.
  10. Jay71

Jay71

10388045_701925896532422_984279271_n.jpg Being a surfer, I was naturally drawn to wagons. Lots of nice stuff on this thread.

AHotRod likes this.
  11. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

that Regal looks like a mid 70s B body, Did they make the mid size cars that late (1982)with traditional Chrysler torsion bar set up (fore and aft) in Australia or did this have the bolt on all included K frame /suspension like Volares and such. Nice looking cars!

12. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

13. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I don't imagine the Valiant fared too well. I know where a 61 Mercury Montclair is, but it's no wagon..

14. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

15. 59wagon

59wagon

Our aussie 59 Ranch Wagon. Runs a 390FE with ally heads and C6. 2009_0204Fran0020 (2).jpg

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  16. I love that Chrysler station wagon!!!!!Bruce.

17. chevyhound

chevyhound
    from usa

Question, are station wagons configured passengers (ie 3rd row seating) or mostly hauling? I've seen some wagons with all seats down and a wood deck. Then from my childhood, I remember the neighbor's wagon which had the 3rd row facing the rear and no wood. Was there a year where manufactures switch from interior wood to 3 row passenger seating?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Manson

Manson
    from Baden, MD
    1. Maryland HAMBers

Most, at least from the 50's and up, had rear seats that folded down so they could be used to haul passengers or cargo. 6 passenger wagons were usually standard but additional seating for 8 or 9 passengers was optional. My '63 Fairlane has a rear facing 3rd row seat for two, but my buddy's '56 Chevy wagon is a nine passenger wagon with all seats facing forward, and both rear seats fold flat.

Since I brought it up, here's Dave's 56 Chevy 9 passenger wagon. It's a little rough around the edges as it sat outside from the early 60's up to the 80's, then in a barn up until a couple of years ago but only has 34,000 miles on it and has been in his family since new.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. Woodster

Woodster
    from NorCal

My '51 with an example of what it looked like when I bought it.
    [​IMG]

Manson and Cooon like this.
  20. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422941476.916281.jpg
    My first car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Manson likes this.
  21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

NONE of my wagons ever came with THOSE options! I blame my folks for my wagon interest. The first car they bought for my older sister and I to learn to drive with, was a 57 Chevrolet 210, Townsman in Aztec Bronze and White. I'd spent a few hours cleaning, waxing, vacuuming the car, and my sister would take her girlfriends to the drive in movies. It would come back a mess. Long story short, she also totaled it T-boning a Toyota. A couple more wagons later, and 4 Sedan Deliveries (close enough to a wagon) too, I've whittled the herd down to one 56 Sedan Delivery. My wife hates wagons, but seems to love the 2012 Ford Escape I bought her new, and that's pretty much a "wagon" based on looks and purpose. I'd like to have a hearse, but I'm afraid the wife would permanently put me in a box in the back if I bought one. Wagons ho!!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. jimmy959

jimmy959

I spent most of my youth on the road facing backwards in the back of a 1962 Impala 9 passenger station wagon. I fell in love with that year Chevy. That's why I own a 1958 Ford Ranch Wagon! LOL....

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      179.8 KB
      Views:
  23. Ladyhrp grew up with this wagon,her grandmother Jessie purchased it new from Blue Ridge Motors in 1954 and it served as her daily transportation and a delivery car for her flower shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I started dating Brenda in 1966 I would ride along with her on Saturdays making delivery's in the wagon,this is the car she learn how to drive,we also used the wagon to cruise the drive in's.

When my dad totaled his wagon,Brenda's grandmother loaned me the wagon to haul our band equipment in for a few weeks.

Grandmother Jessie eventually bought a VW van and gave the wagon to Brenda's dad and as time progressed he eventually gave it to Brenda.

We brought out twin girls home from the hospital in this wagon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front wheel bearing self destructed and destroyed the spindle in 1982 and the wagon was parked in the barn,,and that is where it sat for 20 years waiting to see the light of day again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My original thought was just replace the spindle and patch it up enough to drive,,,that plan went out the window and a full hot rod restoration took place...it took me 9 years but I believe the family's long history made it worth the time & money. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    ct1932ford likes this.
  24. I had a 59 Ford 2dr Ranch Wagon several years ago. A buddy invited several of us up to Little Rock for a car show. He failed to mention that it was a bunch of rice racers and sport truck kids putting the show on. Showed up and parked with the other "old" cars then proceeded to the registration booth. I was early thirties at the time, girl at the registration booth was prolly 18-20. She asked for my name and type of vehicle, when I said station wagon she stopped writing and looked up and said "a what?" I replied "station wagon" to which she asked "what is that? Is that like an suv?" I replied "No its a station wagon. There like station wagons." She grabs the nearest sideways hat wearing goober she could find and asks him what class to put my station wagon in...he was as lost as she was. At the end of the show I was awarded 1st (and only) place in the station wagon class!

25. raymay

raymay

Wagons can leave a lot to the imagination and are good subjects for creativity.
    Had a few Chevy Panel trucks that I turned into Family Wagon type cruisers but the kids really wanted windows. This led to my conversion of a 37 Chevy Sedan Delivery into a windowed Family Wagon.
    We even ran an original 55 Chevy 2dr Handyman for awhile.
    A 56 2dr Wagon ended up becoming my current 56 ElCamino conversion.
    Next in line is a Malibu Wagon which I have converted into a 2dr Nomad. Grandsons think it's cool. scan0001.jpg del18.jpg scan0038.jpg IMG_3057.JPG nomadboy1.JPG

26. Hot Dogs, Baseball & Station Wagons! :cool: It is America.:DI always had Chevy wagons for my work cars. They were the most reliable work horse there was. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. Funny.......my folks never had wagons when I was a kid. My brother and I kinda like them. 55WAGON.jpg

28. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I forget where I found this picture but thought it would be a great way to camp. 1959 Ford Wagon.jpg

29. Is that your wagon Rocky? HRP

Ron Funkhouser likes this.