Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940 Mercury Eight **Pics**

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Boots89, Dec 30, 2014.

1. verde742

verde742

also look under rear end,bumper, behind b some people put a release pull or push, for opening trunk.
    could look like loose stiff wire... might be inside gas flap too.!!

looks like a 49 Plymouth bumper to me..

2. Boots89

Boots89

Thank you for your response!!! We will have to check it out thus week!

3. Boots89

Boots89

Any pictures of what we should be looking for greatly appreciated

4. Kraco is not original

Posted using the Full Custom twig in the sand App!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. I would put that thing straight in my garage and tell everyone else to fuck off if they want to sell it.

It looks like SUCH a good base for as above, a nice tail dragger. Think '40s era custom. A lot of tacky shit is on it but that can all be changed.

lothiandon1940 and Boots89 like this.
  6. Boots89

Boots89

"I bought this in June of 1960. I STILL HAVE IT!" Written on the back

Attached Files:

7. Boots89

Boots89

I rotated the picture

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

You should go over to Fordbarn and ask for pictures of what the interior looked like original. They would probably be able to help you with that part of it.
    I knew a guy years back that had a stock '40 Merc, it didn't have any wood on the dash from what I recall. Good luck with it.

Boots89 likes this.
  9. birdman1

birdman1

please leave it the way he built it. No need to "modrnize " it, it is a true early 60's HOT ROD. the wood dash is awsome, and clean up the wheels and use them.

Boots89 likes this.
  10. Boots89

Boots89

The plan at the moment is to get the brakes working, motor running and get it movable. I've noticed looking at pictures the tail lights are shaved?

11. Boots89

Boots89

Me and my uncle are going up to work on it later this week. We are going to clean all the pine cones and needles up. The floors seem to be intact but I'd like to pull the carpet up to check.

Here in ny it's winter and the way the car was stored outside, the ground below the car was dry Sandy dirt. It was soft, as it sunk in the car wasn't exposed to damp wet ground. It was odd on how loose the dirt was under the car. We practically dug the vehicle out with our hands. Almost was like silt...

12. Slopok

Slopok

The bucket seats & armrests also are not original interior items.

13. Boots89

Boots89

My question today is what rear end would this merc have if it wasn't swapped out? I found 2 rear ends outside one looked like a Ford rear end. Looks simular to the picture. No brackets or brake assembly. Just a bare axle housing. The other axle I couldn't get a good look at but I saw it had shoes

Attached Files:

14. Slopok

Slopok

It would've had a torque tube originally.

15. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Go to the BING search engine, type in "1940 Mercury convertible - images" for reference pictures.
    Concerning value - Your Mercury is a great find, but ultimately it's worth only what someone is willing to pay for it. Yes it's desirable and yes it's rare but several running and driving 40 Mercury convertibles have been offered for sale recently in the $40,000.00 range and they looked like nice original cars from dry states.
    Good luck keeping it.

16. Boots89

Boots89

Anything anyone would want me to take pictures of when we go back to work on it I'll take pics.

17. Try to convince the family of the history and memories and that it would be better kept in the family.Sad when money takes the lead upon one's passing.

Boots89 likes this.
  18. Boots89

Boots89

I agree 100% 4 out of 5 want to keep everything. I have no say in anything, but I been convincing to the ears

19. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The early Merc rear axles were almost the same as the Ford banjo axles except they had a one piece pinion/driveshaft set up where the there was no coupler. It just went all the way from the u-joint to the ring gear. A 37 thru 42 Ford or Mercury rear axle can be made to fit. Mercury cars were longer wheel base but it was all in front of the firewall. Ford & Mercury side shift transmissions were all the same from 1940 thru 1948. Any Ford 59A flathead engine would fit but it would be nice if your uncle put the old one under a bench somewhere. The 99A engine has very thick cylinder walls and can be bored out to 3 3/8" for a Big Bore engine.

Boots89 likes this.
  20. Boots89

Boots89

We are hoping my great uncle kept the flat head, that's if the flat head was in the merc when he bought it in 1960. A lot of information was never passed down and it's becoming a mystery that were trying to solve. Thank you for your input.

All of this information is helping us out greatly. Thank you

21. Mart

Mart

The parts of the dash that are wood are not original. The metal parts are, but things like the glove box lids may be missing. The steering column, seats, shifter and pedals are not stock. There is a chance the engine was fitted to the original gearbox with an adapter, and the original rear axle was retained. What is probably more likely is that the engine, box and axle were changed. The bolt patterns on the hubs will provide a clue to what has been kept and what has been changed.

I like the 5 spokes and the bias plys.

Mart.

Boots89 likes this.
  22. Boots89

Boots89

The lid for the glove box is their. The wood is mounted to it.
    We opened the glove box and found the registration and insurance from 1996.
    The owners Manuel for the radio and a home from a critter

23. Just found this picture for inspiration. Not mine.....only wish it were.:D header.jpg

kidcampbell71, Boots89 and i.rant like this.
  24. Boots89

Boots89

That Is one sweet looking car!

25. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Why don't you just buy the car from the estate? Take a bunch of pictures and put it on E-Bay with a huge reserve and when the auctions over, pay the highest bid amount to the estate. Sounds fair to me.

26. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Sorry about your family's loss,great find, perpetuate your uncles love for cars and get her back on the road.Hope money doesn't enter on doing the right thing.

27. Yes......that's a 1949 Plymouth rear bumper (has the "ripples"). Those have been a popular item on
    custom cars over the years. The seats appear to be covered in velour or crushed velvet.....originals would have either been leather or probably a gray or tan fabric.

Here are links to a couple ads of 40 Merc converts for sale.....you can see what an original dash and interior would look like. http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercury/unspecified/1327998.html

This one is a resto-rod...........http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/mercury/unspecified/1675900.html

28. mr.40ford

mr.40ford

Nothing better than a 40 ford except a 40 Merk.Lots of luck with it.

Boots89 likes this.
  29. smw24tea

smw24tea

Nice old Merc, I have one like it, if you find that you need any infro. or small parts ,please contact me, I'm sure that I can help you get it back on the road.

Boots89 likes this.
  30. Boots89

Boots89

Thank you. Haven't had a chance to this week, planning on Monday if the weather is good to start playing