Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 38 chevy Coupe in Pahrump Nevada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Desertluvr7, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Desertluvr7

Desertluvr7

I will be getting my coupe back from the metal man Gary Childs very soon and hope to be working to get it back on the road...I found it in an apple orchard in Placerville California about 5 years ago. It had a chevy Camaro or Nova front clip on it. I got another frame and now it is Mustang 2 and Chevy 10 bolt rear on parallel leaf springs for now. I will have the 350/350 combination in it for reliability and ease of installation. My wheels have be with be since High School and I am 65 years old. Good old American Torque thrust. I have prefabbed the exhaust some before I got into the metal man and I have installed a gas tank from a 37 chevy to get it out of the cabin. more to come soon I hope.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Looking forward to seeing some pics!

3. Desertluvr7

Desertluvr7

Here are the first shots after I had stripped the body. Uck! and found that my coupe was not as good as I thought it to be.

Attached Files:

4. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Desertluvr7, That is going to be an awesome car. Years ago I was fortunate to own a 38 Chevy Coupe and 38 Chevy Cabriolet. Both were project cars and a bad marriage followed by divorce made them disappear.
    I started looking for a 37or 38 coupe last year but finally settled on a 36 Chevy Standard 2-dr Coach (no trunk) Almost 67 years old and I hope to try and finish this one.
    Keep us posted on your progress............ Jeff

5. Desertluvr7

Desertluvr7

The back was hit and the lower 8 inches of the trunk was rebuilt. I had a rear pan from EMS but I think it was for a sedan it missed everywhere. Gary cut it up and used the rolled trunk lip. I wanted to put a 37 chevy gas tank in the back to get it out of the cabin so we had to raise the 38 trunk floor up a couple of inches.

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

=============
    if one our parts does not fit by a mile everywhere, ( qoute: i think it was for a sedan) then i can assume the wrong panel was ordered or shipped that way,

even if our panel is sold by a reseller we stand behind it! left side / right side , coupe / sedan all common mistakes that only require a exchange of parts that is simple customer service

so your body man cut it up to use pieces because he would not call us????? why??

ems customer service will make these issues "right" its our job!

216-541-4585

www.emsautomotive.com

7. Desertluvr7

Desertluvr7

to EMS: every part I got from you would not fit my car. I ordered the part for a coupe and I really think it was for a sedan. The quarters I got I still have most of them as Gary cut a little off but we could not use the door jamb. The door reveal uses the wrong radius right off the bat so I had to cut the door reveal off. I wish they would fit but they were off by a bunch. What good would it do to call you. spend more money to send it back and wait more...????? I can hold the parts up to the door and take a picture I guess...

8. 37ChevyHemiGasser

37ChevyHemiGasser
    from Belton, MO

I've ordered every part they have for my 37 coupe at EMS and you can checkout my build to see what's been working so far... https://www.facebook.com/37ChevyGasser

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Should be a great looking car, looking forward to watching your progress.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just about every patch panel made is just a close match to what it is supposed to fit. some don't even do that. some just leave a guy scratching his head thinking WTF?

working on a 51 Chevy now where a shop installed the lower front quarter panel. luckily they did not use the door jamb part, since it is not even close, just like the part you describe. they did however use the part that is the wheel opening so now I have to cut the wheelwell part out and fab up a wheel opening that looks right and will accept the skirts.

this car also had an EMS inner rocker repair that was not even remotely close to the part being replaced. cut all that out and got a piece from an original car and patched it in.

"" so your body man cut it up to use pieces because he would not call us????? why??

ems customer service will make these issues "right" its our job!""

so can I return the garbage rocker repair piece I removed and get a refund for the owner of the car? will you pay my hourly rate to fix the poorly stamped lower quarter patch so the owner is not out any more money?

11. xdirtracer

xdirtracer
    from missouri

sounds like alot of trouble but nothing good is ever easy. it will all b worth it when its done great build hope to see more

12. KDH68

KDH68

any chance you still have your stock gas tank