Register now to get rid of these ads!

A.H.R.A. Record book ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stewed, Jul 4, 2008.

1. I am looking for any information on the AHRA record books from the 1964 through the end of their existance. I know they closed shop somtime in the late 60's but can't find shit online about them or what ever happened in the end.
    I am specifically looking for the C/A class thet my old man set the record in in 1964. I whave a few magazines with the info in it but would like to look over the rest of the years of the AHRA to see how long the record's that he set stood!!!
    Any information on the records or a place to look would be apreciated!!

Tim McCray

2. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

I have copies of AHRA rule books, 1963-1971. They listed record holders in the early issues. Didn't see a C/A record held by Mc Cray, but the record runs were held throughout the season, the last to set the record would be in the following year book. I can remember we set the record early in the season and lost it later in the year, so we didn't make the final list either! Stating in about 1965 they listed the all record holder in weekly pub. Drag World.
    I know AHRA was alive and well through 1972, don't know the exact date they folded. The president of AHRA was Jim Tice and their offices were somewhere in the K.C. area. Hope this helps

3. Someone else sent me an article they had found.They closed shop in 1984 after bouncing from K.C. to Ohio to Nevada. Jim Tice was pres and Don Gartlits was V.P. at one time. Jim Tice Jr. took over in the later years.
    I have three "Drag News" mags from 1964 with dads name and the three record's, E/T, and speed's from that year and another one in 1965. I was just looking for the overall list of the records . I have heard roumor that between him and his best friend who helped him build it" Larry McCubbin " they set the record seven to eight times in those two to three years in this old Henry J ,but looking for confimation.
    Dad passed away a few years back and I can't find anyone who knows exactly how many times they broke it.
    I am however trying to get my uncle Larry McCubbin to MOKAN this fall to watch. His health has fallen off and I thougt it would be benificial for him to see the old car make a few trip down the 1320, and if he is feeling better make one himself!!!

4. I know that AHRA were going Strong from 69 thru 75 <br> thats when I sold my Speed Shop!

5. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YEP RIGHT AROUND 1975 - AHRA WAS DRYING UP AS TRACKS SWITCHED TO IHRA. MY DAD DROVE THE WILSON AND HOEHN 1969 CAMARO AND WAS D/HR RECORD HOLDER 1975, and ENDED THE YEAR AS THE RECORD HOLDER. I AM NOT SURE IF HE HAD MPH & ET> AT LEAST ET WAS LOCKED DOWN. GOT FILM WITH RECORD HOLDER ON THE CAR MID SEASON. CAR WON THE SUMMER NATIONALS AT THOMPSON OHIO 1975 (HAVE THE TROPHY - ELIMINATOR).

6. I have a few copy's of Drag news with his name in it for the record, and a few more with his best friend in it in the same car. I was just wondering if there was a big book containing all the records broken and when. I have heard conflicting stories on how many he actually broke and would like to keep them straight along with the history of this old Henry J sitting in the garage!! Thanks.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AHRA - Can make it on Lbs. / Cubic Inch............that is what separtes the NHRA Bull Shit............Factored HP, come on..............efficiency is lbs / cu in not what year they decide to add or take HP from one OEM. Lets See this year the Olds 455 will have 325 HP. and the HEMI will have 445 HP?????

8. Fast Harley of Lou

Fast Harley of Lou
    from Lou Ky

could any one post drag news articles from 1965 to 1975. I am looking for more racing news about my father Tom Shelton of el paso tx, and the cars he drove back then. The cars he drove were a 65 EL Camino, a 69 AMC named Uncle Sam. he also had 2 drag rails after parting with uncle sam. this car was the 1969 AHRA Tucson Nationals speed record holder. and also beat team ford in a best of 5 match race. I know speed records don't stand for very long, but i would love to see it in black and white. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you all.

nice site BTW.:D

9. michaelbudan@gmail.com

[email protected]

I hope this works, this is a copy of my dad's record, would like to find official info, how long it lasted etc......

Attached Files:

10. planejunk

planejunk

I hope you find what you are looking for. I have just begun the hunt for info on my GTO.
    I have a 1965 GTO AHRA class winner for Avilla dragway. I bought a 1965 GTO that was ordered to race, so the record could be as early as 1965 or (?). The car was probably B stock. If you are lucky to find one in these lists it would great. The record could be a different GTO but it's a place to start. I am restoring the car and the window has the marking (looks like etched on) for the class winner. I am looking for these Drag news pubs (no luck) and should I find any I will list them here. :)

11. ReevesRacing

ReevesRacing

I wish there was a complete listing somewhere. My uncle Steve holds the record for the class his 51 6cyl Chevy ran in.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Bringing this one back up from the dead.
    I'm trying to find the records for George Ocock, from '63-'65. Alt. Roadster.
    thanks,
    -Brad

13. Spoke with George just a couple of weeks ago. He lives near where I work and I cross paths with him on a regular basis. George isn't particularly computer savvy but he is a fountain of amazing and amusing racing info. :rolleyes: PM me if you'd like to get in touch with him.

14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

He's my uncle! I'm recreating his Altered Roadster, and doing a build series in Hot Rod Deluxe magazine. I'm doing the build based on one good photo, one so-so photo, and one crappy photo of the car. In the crappy photo, he's got what looks like the records listed on the lower portion of the cowl, but I can't make out what they say.

-Brad

15. Here is one.

Attached Files:

16. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Bump back up! Still looking for info on A/R national MPH record for '63, '64 and '65. I need it so I can letter it on the car.
    Thanks!

17. WerbyFord

WerbyFord

Old thread, new question:
    I am not very familiar with AHRA but an issue has come up making me ask a question.
    I have seen inferences that some (non-factory) dual-quad combos were legal in "Super Stock', eg 1967-68 440-8v (never saw one factory), 1968 z28 302-8v, and 1968-70 428cj-8v. I don't think any of these cars came with factory 8v (dual quads) but in some books (eg Larry Davis) there are claims that they were Super Stock legal.

Well as I read the NHRA rule books and history, I cant find these 8v combos as legal or being run. Maybe in match races but not in SS.

Would they have been legal in AHRA?

That led me to question the general AHRA formulas, do they use lb/hp or lb/cubic-inch in Stock & Superstock?
    What do F1 F2 F3 F4 mean? Carburetors?
    Etc, I just cant find the AHRA basics anywhere.
    Thanks for the help

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Don't give much weight to the technical info in Larry Davis books. And yes, under AHRA Formula Stock rules, The number after the FS class designation refers to carburation. NHRA SS rules have always required factory carburation, AHRA Formula Stock rules did not. You could even run a split dominator in FS3, which was restricted to a single 2v. FS/1 was multiple carbs, FS/2 was single 4, including dominators.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    WerbyFord likes this.
  19. WerbyFord

WerbyFord

Awesome, that helps. Did AHRA still use lb/hp in Stock and Superstock or did they use lb/CID, kinda like the old FX classes ?
    It would be hard then to compare the lb/hp weight breaks of NHRA to lb/CID breaks if AHRA used that.

20. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

image.jpeg

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

AHRA had some odd classes, but there was something for everybody. Spokane Raceway Park was the last AHRA holdout, operated by Orville Moe. He ran afoul of the "law", and owed money to the County. He lost it all within the last 10 years or so, and now Spokane Motorsports Park is owned/operated by Spokane County. I know there was ONE year when Seattle International Raceway operated under the AHRA banner, there were "issues" with NHRA. Bremerton Raceway also was "forced" to fly with AHRA one year until they could conform to what NHRA was requiring (guardrails, separating spectators from the pit area, etc). That was something that was handled through/with Orville Moe to get insurance coverage, and was only for one year. That was in the mid 80's, as I joined up with Bremerton Raceway and the Handlers Racing Association (operators of the track since 1959) 88-92. Always thought the big event Orville Moe had every year, the World Finals, was strange; one track, under the AHRA banner, and having a "World Finals" event (???). Now, as of this year, the AHRA is again attempting to arise from the dead, and even has their "own" track, All American Raceway in Lena, Mississippi, and run by a completely different individual. Can anyone add anything? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. HERCAMERJ

HERCAMERJ

Hi Dave,
    I am trying to find information on a 1965 TVR Griffith that was an AHRA record holder in 1965, 66 & 67. Would your rule books have any information on this car?
    Regards,
    Hercamer
    65Griffithairfreight.jpg

23. don alan spencer

don alan spencer

24. don alan spencer

don alan spencer

THE AHRA WAS WELL AND ALIVE UNTIL AROUND 1984...THE COMPANY WAS SOLD TO THE NEW ADRA( A MAKE UP OF STRIP OWNERS WHO RAN AHRA_..THEY HAD NO EXPERIENCE IN RUNNING DRAG RACING ON A BIG TIME BASIS..

Kan Kustom likes this.
  25. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave, Hope you receive this even though your post was long ago. I'm trying to help an elderly friend
    find a '64 AHRA rule book or a copy of one. He was a record holder in a Pontiac stocker for a while.
    His name is Tom Loving from Dallas. I can be contacted here or email at: [email protected]. THX!

26. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I would like to see results also as I ran AHRA through 73. My time slips,news letters,points info, speeds, patches,decals etc. were stolen

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"F" stood for Formula. At Lions in Wilmington Ca. I ran F4-B/HR. Formula 4 B/Hot Rod. Formula 4 was for factory super chargers and factory fuel injection in non stock applications. A&B were weight to cubic inch classifications. In 64-5 I ran a 62 Chevy II with a 288" SB with a 1960 Rochester FI unit. Trophied twice, still have them, no record.