Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring kit help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveabilly, Dec 31, 2014.

1. steveabilly

steveabilly

I got an "EZ Wiring kit" thinking it was gonna be thoroughly explained and "Easy" to install but I think they mean it's easy if you know about wiring. That being said I need help, there are two sets of wires coming out of the fuse box, one set is long and are cut at the end (I figure these are to route thru the car and connect to things ie.. Taillights, headlights, etc)
    The other set is short and has plastic connectors and metal end pieces and these I don't know where they go. I'm including some pics to show what I mean.
    Whoever can help will be greatly appreciated this project is taking way too long and I need to finish it soon.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420062377.982459.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420062391.316443.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. My experience with easy wire kits is they ain't easy!

I helped install a easy wire kit in a friends car several years ago and it took three times to work & time than the American Auto Wire kit.

I'll pay more for complete,accurate and detailed instructions any day.HRP

1927graham and steveabilly like this.
  3. You don't have the instructions? That first picture is all going to your steering column.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Some are probably going the be for the turn signals and flashers in the steering column, some will be for the headlight switch, some probably for the ignition switch. I see what looks like the left headlight plug with two high beam leads coming out, but couldn't tell you if that's so because I can't see the end of the plug. Not sure what color code EZ works from, but I see the instructions on the floor below...

5. badshifter

badshifter

In the order you have them shown, the left plug is for the dimmer switch, the other two plugs in theory plug into a GM ignition switch. The individual wires get installed into the turn signal plug harness. The wires are all pre-printed. For the ignition bundle there Is battery power into the switch, the pink wire is for the coil, there is an ignition wire and accessory wire and a purple starter solenoid wire. I install almost one of these harnesses a week. If you want to make the drive to Chatsworth I can help you out

hipster likes this.
  6. steveabilly

steveabilly

If I would have known that before I bought it, I would have never done it

7. steveabilly

steveabilly

Yes some instructions are included but they look like an elementary kids drawings and there's no explanation to the drawings, also in the drawings there are lines that represent wires but just end at nothing. The instructions are so bad I think it's been easier just trying to wing it.

56don likes this.
  8. steveabilly

steveabilly

Thanks, those aren't the headlight connectors though the headlight connectors came separate and I already routed and connected those

9. steveabilly

steveabilly

Thank you very much, this is very helpful except I don't have a "turn signal plug harness" this is a 53' Cadillac and whoever had this before me did an awful job splicing old and new wires together.
    I would jump in my car right now if I didn't live in So-Cal.
    Thanks for the help though.

10. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

All wiring harnesses are about the same with the same connectors. There are several companies that post there instructions online. Look over several of them and get a feel for what is going on. Almost all harnesses are based on GM wiring connectors and each wire in the harness should be marked. If you don't have the mating connector you can buy the mate or cut the connectors off and wire direct.
    If you can't find any instruction you like, contact me and I can provide you with some.

11. usually the bundles are arraigned as you will need them, the front of the car and engine stuff is grouped together so it goes forward, there is an underdash bundle with fuse block, gauges and column, and a bundle that heads to the rear for fuel sender and tailights etc etc
    look at the bundles, most have the individual wires labelled every 1' of length in tiny writing, I suggest that if you are this clueless, you need to re-group and understand the mess your dealing with. Also when done, dont connect the battery right away, test your work using a small battery charger on the 1 amp setting so you dont burn shit up if you did it wrong.

12. Yeah, you hear 'painless' and 'EZ' but who makes one that's 'smokeless'..... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    slack and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  13. evintho

evintho

14. You have a universal harness patterned in a gm style. Uses GM color codes. Universal means it won't be direct fitment for anyfuckingthing but the colors are pretty standard.
    You need to make it work. Either you can reconfigure your 1953 caddy to accept the harness and it's functions, or you can reconfigure the harness to work in a 1953 caddy.

There's only two kinds of harness or wiring schematics that I've ever seen. One is a complicated series of straight lines that is almost always too small to read other than the original on a 4'x8' piece of paper. The other is that looks like it was drawn by a smart kid trying to explain to another kid how the shit works. The new late model FSM wiring is a variant of the second and is really hard to grasp.

It's sooooo easy IF you can break it down to the simple simple.
    If there were only one wire, ,,,,,,,,,
    it would have a color.
    It would start at point A
    It would end at point B

That's the simple simple.

Ok so maybe it's 10, 100, or 10,000 wires but each one is that simple.
    10,000 isn't - OMG that too fucking scary it's just simple x10,000

15. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my first was the infamous j.c. whitney harness, which was made in peru or some such place. the big problem i had was that some of the wires were too short and needed splices--the hot wire to the dimmer switch went right by where a sheet metal screw goes through the firewall...wound up sketching my own diagram. a good rule of thumb is that the following use 16 ga--head, tail and parking lights, turn signal, radio, heater, gauges, generator and generator field; starter, ammeter and generator armature will be 10 ga. hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Each wire should have a number on it to explain what it is////
    Even then its a challenge. My first wiring job was done without a complete harness. Wire by wire and no directions.
    I didn't think I was ever going to get through it.
    I would imagine 30 percent of your harness wont be used. Be sure to pull out the unused circuits before installing. Save you a ton of headaches.

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

The big mystery is what does that wire do, is it big enough, strong enough, how do you stop the fire? Bob

18. Aviator

Aviator

EZ. Never again.

19. The wire does nothing but provide a path for the current to follow.

Is it big enough ? That's what she said.

Fuses stop the fire.
    In my example
    A certain wire comes from point A, ignition switch to point B the fuse box and connects to the powered side of the switched circuits there. Simple simple

There's no mysteries bob, which one do you want to take? image.jpg

20. I like chrome.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

So how come there are battery cables and tiny wires, at some point there is more or less stuff flowing through them?

22. badshifter

badshifter

Chatsworth is So-Cal, San Fernando Valley. These kits are easy if you are used to them.

23. Always do my own! Then I know it will be easy. See if you can get a schematic from the company or on line.

24. atomickustom

atomickustom

You didn't get the version with the wires labeled every few inches?
    I put an EZ kit in my car about 10 years ago with zero wiring experience. I called their tech line from my garage two of three times and they were very helpful. No trouble at all. Have you called them??
    (I know a lot can change in 10 years, but it's worth trying.)

25. Since you can't "see" electricity it's hard to understand. However we can see water and its very similar so that helps with understanding some of the things you can't see.

There's big pipes and little pipes.
    There big oceans and little puddles.
    There's slow streams and Niagra falls.

26. steveabilly

steveabilly

No all of the wires came together one big bundle tied together, no separation, I was the one that separated all the wires, and I'm not "This Clueless" but when you have two cables that say ignition, the diagrams are shit and there's no real instructions on what cable goes where, and you've never done wiring it gets a little confusing.

27. I'm looking at a couple of harnesses for my Ford and they both have every wire marked clearly. I think it speeds everything up. With wires with NO marking, you'll have to identify every destination and tag it as such, one by one.

Having the schematic is essential, the one for my Ford I found free online. Some libraries have the old factory GM manuals, in color even. You can photocopy what you need.

28. I wasnt knocking you by using the clueless word, was just using it to show its not a project you take on knowing very little of whats what with it.
    I have never seen a wiring kit that wasnt separated in bulk and I have installed a few different brands.
    and if the wire labeling screws you up, call the folks at EZ and I am sure they will explain it. (I think I have an EZ kit on the shelf, how many circuits is yours? I will go look if you need me to and see if there is an instruction set in there.)
    The end result, if you take nothing from my previous post, take the part that says connect a small amp charger to the system for testing so your not using a 400 amp battery to find out problem areas and let the smoke out of the wires.

29. image.jpg