Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage phoenix New years day cruise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassersteve, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Never driven that route before. How bad will the road be if we encounter snow on the way up or down? Not too sure now with no wipers or windows.

2. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

The route north of Wickenburg is all two lane highway. Max speed limits are 55mph and most of it we'll probably do in the 35-45mph range. If it snows shit loads we may be screwed, but that area is not known for white out conditions and lots of fluffy powder. When I was a kid growing up in Wilhoit it was a big damn deal if there was enough snow to build a snow man.

3. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I should clarify, that I'm only concerned about snow and ice between Wilhoit and Prescott on the 89. If that road is shit, then we'll adjust and head up through Skull Valley instead of coming back that way.

4. mopacltd

mopacltd

Weather man says 90% chance of snow here in Yarnell Wednesday. They are also predicting it will be 8" on the ground. When you leave highway 93 and all the way to Congress and also from Peeples Valley to Wilhoit is 65mph.

5. Brentphx

Brentphx

I guess staying in the low desert has certain advantages... Bet you never had to look out for snow on the drive to tortilla flats!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. jerry

jerry

I hate snow!!!!!!!!!!

jerry

7. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Thanks for the update! I guess its been a few years since I've been back up the hill, or at least paid any mind to speed limits. Please keep us posted on the weather and road conditions. I'm sure some guys might not want to take any chances... I'm excited and was even thinking of starting a Steve Gutmans break down pool....

You and me both!!

8. I find it funny that I drive my truck nearly 360 days a year and I am the guy that gets picked on for breaking down the most.

No snow going to Tortilla flat, but if we went to the same place all the time we might as well get ourselves some folding lawn chairs and sit in the Kmart parking lot each weekend too.

9. mopacltd

mopacltd

Woke up to 39 degree's this morning. Bright and sunny with a little breeze. Hopefully it will stay this way for you guys to make a field trip.

49Flatty and gassersteve like this.
  10. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Only because one thing is always breaking....

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Kinda like the definition of insanity, Doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting different results...

Now, on a much more serious note, I'm watching the weather closely. I might have to figure out other accommodations for this chingo if things turn as ugly as they seem to want to. I freely admit that I am the biggest freeze-baby pussy on this planet, (like 70 is way tooooo cold for me!)but dammit, if it's pissing snow and rain and 30 degrees, I'm smart enough not to take a car with no top! I know that might come as a shock to some, but I can generally get myself out of the rain at the very least...

12. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

So what's the plan Chip?

You can risk the Comet. .. but we know about that already....

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  13. I tuned up the flathead today, made sure the heater is working, wired up the blower motor so I have some heat going into the passenger area and adjusted my gear box and set the toe-in. Car is running tip top, now for the weather. I'll keep a tab on it as well. We really want to go, but it really sucks driving that thing in the rain with no windows. I'm with Chip on this one.

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

It's sounding bad up here for the next few days, so be prepared!

I just saw this thread, but will try to dodge the nut jobs (New Years AND first snow)
    and meet up with you guys that do brave the weather.
    Nothing I've got running is HAMB friendly, but I can buy Chip a Coffee!

need louvers ? likes this.
  15. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

So, who's bringing a sled? I know where some hills are....

16. I left all of mine in Colorado! I didn't think I would need them here! Boy was I wrong!

17. Who's idea was it to go to Prescott anyways?

18. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Yeah... that guy should have to do one of them ice bucket challenge things...

19. While we are in Prescott freezing our butts off.

20. mopacltd

mopacltd

Yep, the white stuff is falling. I have over an inch on the ground now and it is snowing almost white out style as I type.

21. Its raining here in coolidge.

22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

MINUS 11 DEGREES IN IDAHO!!

I HAVE TO THAW OUT WOOD BEFORE I CAN START THE STOVE IN THE SHOP!

need louvers ? likes this.
  23. CalGasser

CalGasser

About 3" sitting on my railing and steady snowfall - it don't look good in Prescott...

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

So. What the HELL? it literally rains only three or four times a year here. Why does it seem damn near every big event I have been Rah-Rahing this year has been rained out? sets the mind a wondering...

25. :Dnot sure weather to feel sorry for you guys or not, the suns shining, not a cloud in the sky, a balmy 20*c,.......but I'm at work damn it:mad:

26. So Steve posted on FB of possibly still meeting up and heading to another location. Who's up for that? I personally would like to stay under the sun. Suppose to be sunny here tomorrow.

27. Let's change the destination due to the weather. Last year we went to Tortilla flat. My idea was to check out a new destination each year. Let's cast some suggestions for the next few hours and come up with a collectively agreed upon spot.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey, this might be a terrible thought, but have you guys given any thought to a rain date? As it sits, I have to get ahold of 1931Fordtruck and let him know the 'Bucket isn't going. I will have my mother's Yukon on loan for the day though, so I'm in on that level, and will do camera duties.

But seriously, If the snow is dumping as hard as it seems to be in the high country, this could be a dangerous deal for tomorrow. Olmstead and I damned near died coming down Yarnel Hill in his late model about 10-15 years ago in similar weather, maybe some restraint might be in order... Or not!

'Sides, I really want to take the 'Bucket on this one!

29. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Let it be known that Gutmans claimed he was buying some snow chains today..

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I might be up for a change of venue, but from what I see it's gonna be shitty for us open car guys tomorrow too. The drive we have concocted is my personal favorite drive in this state, and I would love to share it with others in our old cars, if not tomorrow, soon. But it isn't worth putting any of us in harm's way to do.