Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Retro Rewind 2015 INDOOR Traditional Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Aug 21, 2014.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

DO NOT compromise on the quality of the cars at your show. So what if there are no more than last year.

2. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob.... I hear what you are saying but it has been tough this year. We were relying on the traditional car clubs to help out with cars and for leads on cars for us to follow up on to keep the show all traditional but that really did not happen like we thought it would. We are trying to get different cars each year and not have any repeat any cars. This year has been real hard and next year will probably be worse.

3. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To those not familiar with John Wells' shows, the cars are simply one of the MANY attractions; a detail really. Retro Rewind is certainly no different. Regardless if there are more or less cars, rods, customs, muscle cars, or restorations, the pin-up contest, vintage guitars, swap meet, pinstripers, etc etc will be spectacular. At the end of the day, the proceeds go to HHH.

There is no doubt where I'll be on Jan 10.

FWIW: I drove by Five Flags tonight and saw the marquee "Retro Rewind, Jan 10." So awesome.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

quality will reign over quantity. Please don't compromise. You will never recover

LONG likes this.
  5. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

The Buffalo Guys Challenge is on!!! Support the effort here.You may not be able to bring your car but at least go to the show and help make a difference.I dont know how last year could be topped but if its anything like last year,Its a homerun!!
    Bring some cash,buy some goods and support HHH.

6. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Thanks for the support.... Bobwop - you have to understand that the common joe within 45 miles of Dubuque are the ones we are going to pay the bills for the show. They are also the ones that are probably just saying - hey, lets go see the cars and cycles at the 5 Flags. They probably don't care if it is a GTO or a Model A. WE care........but caring about the quality and the type of cars don't pay the bills. So we will have to see what the future holds. What if we allow in stock classics up to 1964? Example, last year we turned down a 1958 Corvette that was restored to better than showroom quality. Do we let some of those cars in for 2016? I turned down a '57 T Bird just this week that was stock. As a show promoter, I can only do so much. I can tell you that our expenses this year have gone WAY up. This is in part due to the mileage $$$ we give out as well as the facilities going up, and the entertainment costs. So we need to have a bigger turnout this year just to break even. Hope everyone will come out, it is going to be a good time.

7. ...I'm spreadin the word on the show down this way; I know lots of guys planning on coming; everybody seems ready to get out and do somethin fun and visit with some friends. Hopin the weather holds out so we can all make it.

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I would be okay with showing cars that are stock pre-1964 and in exceptional, or totally original, condition (survivor). That would maintain the reputation of the show as having high quality cars. I doubt anybody would be disappointed to see a restored Corvette or Tbird. Just don't let the "creative/art" cars in.

9. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Cool - This is what I think we are going to have to do. And if people complain we are just going to have to say we do our best with what we have...... I am very confused by the fact that people will pay to put their car in certain shows.... and then when we do the opposite - we PAY the car owners to show up.... we get no response. AND the gate proceeds go directly to families with kids with heart defects. We hope for good weather.....

10. LONG

LONG

If I had a finished car worth showing, you know I'd be signed up. but I'll be there as a spectator about a 220 mile drive. had to miss year one due to work.......not this year.

bobwop likes this.
  11. blktie

blktie

Planning to be there thanks to my friends at Romin Chariots. As far as the mileage money goes; I never got into this hobby for money. In fact, I'm sure it's been a losing proposition on most every car. But then, I don't play golf. If you didn't get the message yet, I won't be accepting any mileage money. Charity is much more important.

That being said, I am having difficulty with the Holiday Inn. Seems they only can accommodate me for Friday night and not Saturday. It's not a big deal as I can drive back Saturday if necessary, but any help would be appreciated.

LONG and bobwop like this.
  12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I got a great deal on a room just down the road, at the Canfield.
    (563) 556-4331

13. haychrishay

haychrishay

Haven't heard back from your buddy, do you still want the 40?

14. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

very strange - please email me at [email protected] and I will send the info

15. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John... Chris posted this on Tuesday and I have contacted him since then.

16. Landspeedroadster

Landspeedroadster
    from st. louis

Packing up today. Ready for some cool cars, cool beer, and time away from the family. ..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

17. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

landspeedroadster - we are really happy you can join us! THANKS

18. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

19. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

20. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

weather looks cold - but clear!
    Hope everyone can support this event.

bobwop likes this.
  21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

we are thrashing!

22. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been burning the midnight oil, too. Can't wait to see what you're going to bring Bob!

See everyone Friday & Saturday.

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

breakfast on Saturday at 7?

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

now what are you working on Vern? I am anxious to see!

25. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A '53 Ford I got from some guy in Wisconsin. It's pretty bitchin

bobwop likes this.
  26. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I was there last year and, what a great show. I WILL be there this year again. I am looking for a bar that has been making burgers and burgers only, they have been making them for years. I believe it is called Teds, anyone ever here of this. Some year my truck will be done, and I will bring it to the show, no charge. The show is for a good cause, and that is enough for me.

bobwop likes this.
  27. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're thinking of Paul's. It is only a few blocks from Five Flags. I hear the burgers are phenomenal.

bobwop likes this.
  28. haychrishay

haychrishay

Gonna head that way about noon

bobwop likes this.
  29. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some cool rides at Five Flags. Everyone will be in for a treat.

bobwop likes this.
  30. John,
    If you are looking to enhance the show and have run out of cars then I agree with not compromising the quality of the car enties just for the sake of filling spots in the show to make it appear full or bigger than last year. This is not a good business model.
    I have been doing these shows since 1973. If you have exhausted all efforts to add quality cars trucks and bikes then go after more commercial spaces. Commercial spaces fill the show and add much more to the bottom line of the show per space than an exhibitor entry.

Try and get your local hot rod builders to do a 10 x10 space advertising their shops. Maybe they can bring out a project car they are working on in their shop.
    Go after the body shops in the area, get the local powdercoater to come out. Upholstery shop, chrome plater. Go after the local garage or metal barn builder to do a comercial space. Any local automotive repair shops, tire stores, shops that install air ride systems in your area?
    Get a diecast vendor to buy a comercial space. What about a local roofer? Local vinyl graphics shop? Rental car company. Do you have any food vendors? A local travel agency?

Any other charitable organizations in your area maybe raffling a car off this summer? Your show is a good starting point for that group to sell raffle tickets.

Your selling point to the above is this. You know what last years exhibitor and spectators numbers were. Ask each of these business owners what they would pay today, right now, to have that many people walk into their front door during the number of hours/days your show is open. Hard to argue with this logic.

Do you have a local limo service, high school proms will be upon us in May, not to mention weddings every month. Do a lomo service in lockstep with a tuxedo rental place and a DJ advertising their services. Do you have a local parts house, (NAPA, CarQuest, O Rileys etc).
    Any of the above businesses that cannot participate, hit them up for door prizes or items you can put into a silent auction. And dont forget the ever popular 50-50 raffle to be drawn at the end of the show.

Some will say that you will be turning your show into a carnival. You have to decide if you are going to be known as "good time John" who everyone says "yeah, he put on a nice event", or "wow, ol John really knows how to promote an event!!"
    I'm all about having a 100% indoor traditional car show, but I'm telling you from 40+ years of experience your event will never be the success you are looking for banking on the traditional guys to rally around your flag pole. .Especially this time of the year.

You will be surprised how your event will grow, the sky is truly the limit, but you have to get out and hustle.

bobwop likes this.