Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Miss Denise

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Miss Denise

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Eric H likes this.
  2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Wow, I thought this was gonna be a thread about Hotrodladycruiser, even tho that is a ford,
    It does kind of sorta have the same vibe as big olds..............but anyway, Thanks for sharing.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know anything about the car, but seeing it makes me wish people still built cars this cool today, It seems to me (I know I'm an old stick in the mud) that something gets lost in the translation these days.....

4. Eric H

Eric H

Very nice car. I am still kicking myself for not taking action and buying a 40 vert this summer that was a much better deal than my 51 vert was. Oh well.

5. I've always like the old 40 convertibles with the custom touches,Henry should have chopped them before they left Detroit!

BTW,I too that this thread was going to be about the Sweetheart of the Hamb. HRP

wbrw32 likes this.
  6. Ryan... you... a closet Packer fan?????

Hahaha... did you see the Model A sedan painted in "Packer Colors?

I heard Denise still exists in Wisconsin and I believe that I saw the information on the HAMB around 2004-2005. I believe that it has a metallic Red paint job... I don't think that it was referred to as "Denise" any more but I think it's the same car.

Maybe Curt R can help you.

7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Two years before the song so must have been a girlfriend..

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

9. robber

robber

cp 263.jpg
    Just wanted to share this car for a second and show that some of us are still building these types of cars :) ... and, being green, it would look right at home @ Lambeau too! :D Also, good on you Ryan, for getting to check another one off of your childhood bucket list... very cool!!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    Spoggie and Moriarity like this.
  10. patterg2003

patterg2003

Nice. I like the lines of these chopped convertible tops. I agree Henry could have done better on the profile of the roof. The originals look like they are designed for the kids to stand on the back seats. I have an original replacement top that came with the car but reluctant to use it. I would like to eventually take a look at a well chopped & functional convertible to see how it is done. I bought this project in the spring and it needs a lot of work before I get to the roof. It has a mint set of roof irons with the wood header and bow. It had the essential parts for a convertible otherwise I would not have taken it. The top latches are not great & a good set of reproductions are expensive. May have to look for a less expensive alternative. The parts that I do need should be easy to find as they are common 1940 parts. I would like to give it some attitude w/o going broke as this is to be fun and affordable.
    Glenn

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

One of my earliest memories was of a California chopped 40 Vert in SE Pa. (daddy had money) Some kind of Chrysler Hemi for power. 6 97s on a log maifold. The top did not fold but who cares with a profile like that. Dirt in the carb or a bad float flooded the engine in Philadelphia rush hour traffic. A doofus friend told the driver to turn it over while he checked for spark. It had plenty of spark and burned the car up with all the flooded gas.

30 years later I got a rough one and chopped the top. Never got it on the road.

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I love the 40 converts, especially when chopped. Someone must know about this car. Here is my buddies chopped 40.

1940 ford 002.jpg

Dave has owned this one for a long,long time and is on its third iteration.

1940 ford 001.jpg

Perfect 4" chop, Stude tail lights, 49 Chevy bumper bracket…you get the picture.

13. Beautiful Pew.....love it. You always have the best pics'. Sorry Ryan, I know nothing of the 1961 version....but she looks neat !

14. Lovely, Miss Denise is a great looking '40.
    I'm shooting for something similar with my convertible, I've hoarded a lot of early 40 convertible photos to trying to get my eye in and vision the look. my favorite being the John Geraghty(?)........ this is not at all helpful for your search on Miss Denise though!

15. Bull

Bull

I knew that pic and location looked familiar. I came across that set of pics when I was searching for my uncle's old hot rod pick-up, Lil Ebony. Here's a shot of it from that set:
    [​IMG]

And a link to my thread on "Looking for (and FINDING!) Lil Ebony": http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/looking-for-lil-ebony-35-ford-pick-up.233033/

16. I said it once and I will reiterate, Henry should have whacked the tops when they left Detroit! HRP

[​IMG]

ct1932ford likes this.
  17. "Miss Denise" is a winner.

18. patterg2003

patterg2003

Pewsplace,
    Thank you. Great pictures & information. I am keeping a file with information like this. Your friend has a real beauty. That is a look that I really admire. Do you know what size tires are on the car? Thanks again.

19. One nice 40!:cool:

20. Bakchoy

Bakchoy
    from georgia

I saw Miss Denise at an Autorama in Chicago sometime around 1961 and she has never left my mind. Thanks for posting. I now have a picture of her! Go Packers!

21. autobilly

autobilly

Although cool in their own rite, to paraphrase Mr Ganahl in his most recent tome; back in the day not every Custom was a chopped 49-51 Merc.:D

22. THAT IS ONE VERY NICE 40 RAG

23. db_312.jpg

I'm familiar with this car from the same show as Miss Denise...the guy was a member of the early West Allis Auto Club back in the '60s and he still owns it.
    I had color photo on loan of this car at the show - a dark gold in color. Later, was painted its current color - maroon.
    Members had me do a 50th year t-shirt with the '40.

waac-50th.jpg

See if I can find out about "Miss Denise".

24. phat rat

phat rat

Where's BobK when you need him. He must know that 40

25. For those that like 40 converts check out Tony Millers 40 here on the HAMB

26. Bingo...!!!

It'll turn up!

27. GO PORT ADELAIDE!!! 2015!!!

p.s. nice '40..

robber likes this.
  28. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Just a pic from another Wisconsin show in the old chevy dealership in west bend.:D joey old hot rod.jpg

Maverick Daddy likes this.

29. I can't add anything about "Miss Denise".
    The 40 coupe pictured above was Titian Red/Honduras Maroon from the very first time I saw the car in the early 60's, shortly after it was painted. I believe the car was painted by Fisco Auto Body on So 27th Street, Milwaukee, Wi. in the early 60's.
    Ask Ken B or Jack W to verify the color.
    I have a color pic of the car from 1965, definitely Titian Red/Honduras Maroon.

Curt R

30. Hey Curt... wasn't this car researched in a thread around 2005 where I thought Tahitian Red was established as well as a couple color photo's were submitted?