Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. bigheadody

bigheadody

Thanks again for the update. Overhead transmission? Duh!!

Viewing this car was delayed a day. So going to check it out later today. He said he does have the Alexander conversion head and a complete 1934 Whippet engine. Was running fine but got water in #2. His engine guy tells him that #2 needs a sleeve for it was cracked. Engine is bare block. He claims he will have the everything present tomorrow.

He did say it has model A front and rear. I forgot about the brakes. He mentioned 390 gears.

The only other 1934 whippet midget I can find was this one. To me they look a lot alike. It in a museum being the oldest car in the their club.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/wocv/willywilly/willyrac_03.htm

Please stand by for a slew of pics and vids today. As of right not your my only advice. Sorry for the delay. I will know much more in a few.

Attached Files:

• 117.jpg
      117.jpg
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
    • 118.jpg
      118.jpg
      File size:
      15.7 KB
      Views:
    • 119.jpg
      119.jpg
      File size:
      35.3 KB
      Views:
    • 120.jpg
      120.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
    • 121.jpg
      121.jpg
      File size:
      34.4 KB
      Views:
    • 122.jpg
      122.jpg
      File size:
      43.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Ah so, the plot thickens

I now discover from the same website you found the photos of #12 that there was an Alexander OHV conversion also made for the Willys engine.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  3. bigheadody

bigheadody

This thing is bigger than I thought, It's way cool. I did take some pics and video but his shop was dark. He has amazing collection of old race cars. Speedster and midgets.

Anyway here is the best I can do now. Still have not seen the engine. He is going to pick it up today and bring it by when he looks at my trade items. Basically trading the buggies you see in my avatar.

It does have Model A front a rear ends. No brakes in the front. Here are some pics but not the best. I have video loading now I will post that when it is done. I think I am going to jump on it if the engine checks out. I still have not seen the engine,carbs or the exhaust pipe.

My father and uncle went with me. it is an model A front and rear. and it has hydraulic rear hand brake rear brakes only. Sorry about the vids it was dark. My friend and member from this site is going to look at it again with me. Maybe we can drag it outside.

Attached Files:

• 136.jpg
      136.jpg
      File size:
      89.3 KB
      Views:
    • 137.jpg
      137.jpg
      File size:
      83.2 KB
      Views:
    • 138.jpg
      138.jpg
      File size:
      85.9 KB
      Views:
    • 139.jpg
      139.jpg
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
    • 140.jpg
      140.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
    • 141.jpg
      141.jpg
      File size:
      45.2 KB
      Views:
    • 142.jpg
      142.jpg
      File size:
      100.2 KB
      Views:
    • 143.jpg
      143.jpg
      File size:
      71.1 KB
      Views:
    • 144.jpg
      144.jpg
      File size:
      111.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  4. bigheadody

bigheadody

5. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The rear axle appears to be a Model T Ford.

The pictures of the front axle are not clear enough nor complete enough for me to determine

6. bigheadody

bigheadody

It was dark in his shop. I am still going to do the trade once the engine checks out. It's a good deal for me. If it turns out to be real 34 car then better yet. I feel in love as soon as I seen it. Model T maybe I get them mixed up. still have not seen engine. Having another friend that knows older car well go with me tomorrow. Anything else you can tell me from the new photos?

Was this photo below the Alexander you were talking about?

Something like this maybe I am looking for?
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...acers-looking-for-info-history-photos.298655/

Attached Files:

• 146.jpg
      146.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    dmbanwarth likes this.
  7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Don't get hung up on the car being a particular year, that's road car mentality, this is a race car someone apparently put on the road at some point. It is a mid 30's style, full midget race car with components coming from production cars of that and/or earlier years.

Yes, the photo shows an Alexander conversion head in a midget of the same era as the car you are contemplating.

If one of those heads, complete, is part of the package, it would be a deal maker, in my opinion.

8. There is a Whippet running in New South Wales in the Vintage Speecar Association..it is a very well respected car here in Australia and an icon of the ers

9. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Landy Scott, age 95, longtime Badger midget driver, track champion, club president died on November 3rd.

Rememberances can be left at www.landyscott.com in the guestbook.

Full obituary is on the Badger website www.bmara.com home page

Attached photo of Landy at the Millers at Milwaukee event in 2011 where he spent the day and greeted so many old friends and acquaintances.

Attached Files:

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Rest in peace, Mr. Scott.

11. spanners

spanners

I've possibly posted this before but this is an Australian Holden powered car.

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Fantastic! I love the sound - like a WW II fighter plane! Plus that guy can DRIVE!

13. emay

emay

I am looking for any information/history on the midget pictured below. I believe the car is from the Iowa area. The front bumper has a " V " in it. Possibly from a man named Vanderlindon? Possibly driven by Kenny Crabb? The car ended up in southern New Jersey where it was purchased by my grandfather in the late 70's. Sorry the picture is not of better quality. racing 010.jpg

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Other than presuming it's Falcon powered, I have no knowledge.

The Ege's Body Shop name on the hood should be be an identifier for somebody.

15. Spanners...thats the best 2:10 Iv'e spent in my life....sex included...:D

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Seen it before, but boy! that man can drive that thing.

17. emay

emay

I probably should have mentioned that the picture is of the car when it was still racing (not sure of the time or place). When my grandfather purchased it it was a darker blue and had no engine. I will try to find a picture of when he acquired it. Thanks!

18. tractorguy

tractorguy

If you can find any other pictures or info on what town Ege Body Shop was in, I may be able to scrounge for more info. I have had several older midgets from my home state of Iowa and may have some sources. I will have to look at my old notes on Vanderlindon also, as that name sounds familiar as a name that came up when I was researching my Solar rail frame midget from NW Iowa. There was a family of Crabb racers from around Des Moines if I remember correctly. I will see what I can dig up.

19. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

So did bighead get that neat little Whippet? Have seen photos of other rail framed midgets that were put on the street when racing stopped during the war...better jump on it before someone else does!

20. emay

emay

Thank you! I am hoping to take some time this weekend to do some searching.

21. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

It was reported on the Indiana Open Wheel board that Ralph Potter, Midget innovator and Kurtis quarter midget builder, died today.

22. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

A wonderful 11 minute You Tube of Landy Scott and midget racing in the Wisconsin and Chicago area is just now available.

Sharp eyes will notice the original single carbureted as well as the final fuel injected status of this car.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    wicarnut likes this.
  23. What a great feature and priceless / timeless photographs and beautifully restored race car. How great it is to see people potting so much time and effort in preserving midgets (speed cars here in Oz lol) and giving us thr privilege of reliving our racing past. Hats off to you all!

24. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

John McCarthy passed away on 12/06/14 . He was 84
    Long time N.E.M.A president & many time championship car owner.
    He along with Rollie Lindblad started the Badger "revolution" in the early 70's

25. gtxrider

gtxrider

26. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Hello,
    looking for a little help in identifying these drivers. All pictures are by Les King - Bob Miour Collection.
    I think the first pic may be Vern Harriman ? in the Fahey offy.
    These were all taken @ Thompson Speedway in the early Sixties.

Attached Files:

27. jconklin75

jconklin75

Where is this museum located? Is it open to the public?

28. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Les King photo - Bob Miour Collection
    Ronnie Evans in Al Rymsza Midget.
    Stan Lobitz, You said you had pictures of my dad in your car, but I always thought you were mistaken. I never knew he ever drove this car.

Attached Files:

29. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

John Evans, yes that is Vern Harriman in the Fahey Offy.

The last photo is a former Carl Miller (56) car. I do not know the driver.

30. JOHN EVANS

JOHN EVANS

Thanks Jim, I had you in mind when I posted those photos.